Happy holidays

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2005
      Hi all,

      ...Not sure if I'm the only Jew in this group, but happy holidays anyway!
      :)

      This year I received a Bluetooth GPS for my Treo (thanks mom and dad), a
      centerfielder (thank you Mr. Steinbrenner), and bought myself that Grid
      Compass 1101 on eBay (thank you clueless seller.)

      Club update: we still have some business to handle, such as writing bylaws
      and purchasing insurance, and I hope to get all that stuff done quickly.
      (I'm not working this week so there might actually be time to kill.)

      In 2006, the vast majority of our effort should be on preparing for VCF East
      3.0 and building our museum.

      Important date: Sat., April 1 is the official InfoAge "Site Transfer
      Ceremony"... I'm not clear on the exact details but it basically means the
      Pentagon is finally and officially handing over the place. (Or maybe it's
      that Wall Township is handing over the place?) Regardless, we're expected
      to be there with the same kind of mini-exhibits as we did for the dedication
      day back in August. There will probably be many of the same people
      attending from among the general public and InfoAge supporters, so let's try
      to bring different stuff this time.

      Another important date: Sat./Sun., April 22-23 is this year's Trenton show.
      Since this is so close to VCF, and since this year isn't a landmark event
      (vs. last year's 30th anniversary show), MARCH will simply have a table on
      the main show floor this year. We'll need a few people to staff the table
      each day. That way we'll have time to check out the show without leaving
      our table empty. Our agenda will be to market the heck out of our club,
      InfoAge, and specifically VCF. Maybe we can also run some kind of contest
      or giveaway... plenty of time to think about that however.

      And the biggest date of all: Sat., May 13 is VCF East 3.0. LOL, only Bill
      D. may be excused because Mrs. D. is due to have her baby around that time.
      Everyone else better attend!!! (Not just because I'm ranting about it, but
      because it's the ultimate in nerdly fun! Be there or turn in your Dilbert
      badge.) Also, I've said this part before but it's important to emphasize:
      VCF exhibits are NOT just "here's all my stuff on a table" but rather they
      have themes and well-planned displays. Start early!!

      - Evan

    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hi Evan,

        Just thought I would mention that I got the Hero robot
        working a while ago. New batteries, a bunch of re-soldering,
        etc. I think all of the fcns are working. Not sure what to do with it
        next. I could maybe try to make some sort of demo that would be
        amusing at TCF or something. Not sure what is appropriate. It has an
        "auto-mode" ROM, which causes it to just wander around a room, avoiding
        objects and saying funny things.
        That would require a lot more space than last year's TCF room,
        and the batteries probably would only last 1-2 hrs. I was thinking of
        something using the robot arm and the speech.

        Bob Grieb

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
          Bob Grieb wrote:

          >Hi Evan,
          >
          > Just thought I would mention that I got the Hero robot
          >working a while ago. New batteries, a bunch of re-soldering,
          >etc. I think all of the fcns are working. Not sure what to do with it
          >next. I could maybe try to make some sort of demo that would be
          >amusing at TCF or something. Not sure what is appropriate. It has an
          >"auto-mode" ROM, which causes it to just wander around a room, avoiding
          >objects and saying funny things.
          >That would require a lot more space than last year's TCF room,
          >and the batteries probably would only last 1-2 hrs. I was thinking of
          >something using the robot arm and the speech.
          >
          > Bob Grieb

          I've got something similar. Its an Omnibot 2000, and old Tomy from '85.
          One of the arms is missing, but the motorized arm is still intact. This
          is one of the kinds that uses an audiotape to execute a program of
          movement. It even has a tray which it can use to serve drinks. I'd have
          to get a new sealed lead acid battery for the thing, but I could get it
          running if it could make things more interesting.
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            Great, let's install a battle ring in our museum for the vintage robots to fight.   :)