Re: [midatlanticretro] Teletypes / VCF overstock sale

  • Bruce Freeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2011
      Put one pretty one up as a raffle prize, or have an auction for it.  Sometimes these approaches allow folks with considerable discretionary income to send some of it your way.  I've seen a nice $10 item go for $100 in an auction.  Raffles allow each individual to contribute a nominal amount ($5, maybe) or multiples thereof, and not feel bad if he doesn't win the prize.   Or combine the two approaches, run the raffle first.  If someone who doesn't need or actually want the thing wins it, he can then donate it to be auctioned off.  I've seen this raise  hundreds of extra dollars for the same item.

      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      As I mentioned earlier, we suddenly have an abundance of '33-era
      teletypes, and the person who donated most of them said he is
      comfortable with us turning some into profit -- as long as they go to
      good home, not scrappers, etc. -- that seems fair to me.

      So these will be part of a MARCH overstock sale at VCF.

      It wouldn't be fair to offer them first-come, first-served before the
      show, because that would arbitrarily favor people who live closer to the
      museum. (With one exception: if you need one for your VCF exhibit!)

      Instead, for all items in the overstock sale (not just teletypes), we'll
      give a 25% discount to "known MARCHins" (thereby preventing lurkers or
      Johnny-come-latelys from scooping up our stuff.)

      If anybody REALLY wants one of these teletypes and isn't able to attend
      VCF, then email me off-list and we will try to work something out on a
      case-by-case basis. But don't expect us to ship these.

      --
      Bruce
      NJ