Re: [midatlanticretro] trs 80 model I "i/o bus interface adapter"

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011

      > --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      >
      > > What is this exactly, the trs 80
      > > model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?
      > >

      > Do you have the hardware, or are you looking at a list of stuff
      somewhere? Could mean a couple things. Could be someone's explanation of
      the Expansion Interface box. Or, it could be one of the buffered cables to
      connect the TRS-80 to the E/I. Somewhere I think I have one, that's just a
      red ribbon cable with a little box in it, containing a bunch of bus
      buffers. I think it was just a feeble attempt to improve the reliability of
      the terrible tin-plated connector/ribbon cable mess that goes between the
      E/I and the computer. The correct repair is to solder gold plated headers
      onto both and use a better cable...

      > Or, I do believe there was an S-100 interface box for the Model 1 that
      plugged into the expansion port.

      > -Ian

      It's a box about a 1/4 of the size of the model 1 expansion interface.
      normally this would be used as such:

      mod 1 expansion interface ---> i/o bus interface adapter --> hard drive

      The LNW80 is a combo model 1 with exansion interface, but otherwise cabled
      the same way. The lnw allows for use of disk drives and a hard drive,
      where the model 1 does not (apparently)

      BIll