Re: [midatlanticretro] trs 80 model I "i/o bus interface adapter"

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > What is this exactly, the trs 80
      > model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?

      Do you have the hardware, or are you looking at a list of stuff somewhere? Could mean a couple things. Could be someone's explanation of the Expansion Interface box. Or, it could be one of the buffered cables to connect the TRS-80 to the E/I. Somewhere I think I have one, that's just a red ribbon cable with a little box in it, containing a bunch of bus buffers. I think it was just a feeble attempt to improve the reliability of the terrible tin-plated connector/ribbon cable mess that goes between the E/I and the computer. The correct repair is to solder gold plated headers onto both and use a better cable...

      Or, I do believe there was an S-100 interface box for the Model 1 that plugged into the expansion port.

      -Ian
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011

        > --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        >
        > > What is this exactly, the trs 80
        > > model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?
        > >

        > Do you have the hardware, or are you looking at a list of stuff
        somewhere? Could mean a couple things. Could be someone's explanation of
        the Expansion Interface box. Or, it could be one of the buffered cables to
        connect the TRS-80 to the E/I. Somewhere I think I have one, that's just a
        red ribbon cable with a little box in it, containing a bunch of bus
        buffers. I think it was just a feeble attempt to improve the reliability of
        the terrible tin-plated connector/ribbon cable mess that goes between the
        E/I and the computer. The correct repair is to solder gold plated headers
        onto both and use a better cable...

        > Or, I do believe there was an S-100 interface box for the Model 1 that
        plugged into the expansion port.

        > -Ian

        It's a box about a 1/4 of the size of the model 1 expansion interface.
        normally this would be used as such:

        mod 1 expansion interface ---> i/o bus interface adapter --> hard drive

        The LNW80 is a combo model 1 with exansion interface, but otherwise cabled
        the same way. The lnw allows for use of disk drives and a hard drive,
        where the model 1 does not (apparently)

        BIll