trs 80 model I "i/o bus interface adapter"

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
      What is this exactly, the trs 80 model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?

      Bill Degnan
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011
        --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > What is this exactly, the trs 80
        > model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?

        Do you have the hardware, or are you looking at a list of stuff somewhere? Could mean a couple things. Could be someone's explanation of the Expansion Interface box. Or, it could be one of the buffered cables to connect the TRS-80 to the E/I. Somewhere I think I have one, that's just a red ribbon cable with a little box in it, containing a bunch of bus buffers. I think it was just a feeble attempt to improve the reliability of the terrible tin-plated connector/ribbon cable mess that goes between the E/I and the computer. The correct repair is to solder gold plated headers onto both and use a better cable...

        Or, I do believe there was an S-100 interface box for the Model 1 that plugged into the expansion port.

        -Ian
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2011

          > --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          >
          > > What is this exactly, the trs 80
          > > model I "i/o bus interface adapter"?
          > >

          > Do you have the hardware, or are you looking at a list of stuff
          somewhere? Could mean a couple things. Could be someone's explanation of
          the Expansion Interface box. Or, it could be one of the buffered cables to
          connect the TRS-80 to the E/I. Somewhere I think I have one, that's just a
          red ribbon cable with a little box in it, containing a bunch of bus
          buffers. I think it was just a feeble attempt to improve the reliability of
          the terrible tin-plated connector/ribbon cable mess that goes between the
          E/I and the computer. The correct repair is to solder gold plated headers
          onto both and use a better cable...

          > Or, I do believe there was an S-100 interface box for the Model 1 that
          plugged into the expansion port.

          > -Ian

          It's a box about a 1/4 of the size of the model 1 expansion interface.
          normally this would be used as such:

          mod 1 expansion interface ---> i/o bus interface adapter --> hard drive

          The LNW80 is a combo model 1 with exansion interface, but otherwise cabled
          the same way. The lnw allows for use of disk drives and a hard drive,
          where the model 1 does not (apparently)

          BIll