Re: [midatlanticretro] Help @ museum this Sunday mid-day

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
      On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

      I'm not following how tarps will protect from humidity.

      Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building, so this should ease the problem.

      Will you be using dehumidifiers or dehumidifying agents beneath them?

      Not only that, any place with a large amount of equipment should have a Hygrometer, analog or digital, to keep tabs on this.
      Both extremes can be a problem, Winter time = Too low = Too much static vs. Summer Time = Too High = Parts corrode
      Sometimes just one humidifier/dehumidifier might not cut it, now that you're in a much larger building.

      Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

      Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

      Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011

        On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

        Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

        Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

        Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

        Just beware of plastic; any insulator will produce static electricity, which isn't a good thing for vintage computers.  That's why ESD bags (the silver bags a lot of electronic devices are packaged in) are conductive.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
          >>> Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building

          No. Not anytime soon.