Re: [midatlanticretro] Help @ museum this Sunday mid-day

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
      > 3. Tomorrow I'm going shopping for tarps. We should cover more stuff from dust and humidity.

      Why do I * always * forget some detail!?

      Instead of official "tarps" I might go for dropcloths and/or plastic
      sheeting. That's much less expensive, so we can get more of it.

      Also I'm going to ask Fred if we can tack some to the ceiling beams /
      walls. That should help keep things slightly cleaner.
    • Bruce Freeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
        I'm not following how tarps will protect from humidity.  Will you be using dehumidifiers or dehumidifying agents beneath them?

        Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

        Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

        --
        Bruce
        NJ
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
          On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

          I'm not following how tarps will protect from humidity.

          Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building, so this should ease the problem.

          Will you be using dehumidifiers or dehumidifying agents beneath them?

          Not only that, any place with a large amount of equipment should have a Hygrometer, analog or digital, to keep tabs on this.
          Both extremes can be a problem, Winter time = Too low = Too much static vs. Summer Time = Too High = Parts corrode
          Sometimes just one humidifier/dehumidifier might not cut it, now that you're in a much larger building.

          Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

          Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

          Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011

            On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

            Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

            Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

            Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

            Just beware of plastic; any insulator will produce static electricity, which isn't a good thing for vintage computers.  That's why ESD bags (the silver bags a lot of electronic devices are packaged in) are conductive.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
              >>> Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building

              No. Not anytime soon.