Help @ museum this Sunday mid-day

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
      Hi all,

      I know this coming Sunday is a party day, but I also know nerds + sports
      don't generally mix :) so perhaps we can get some work done.

      Kelly and I are rescuing that TI minicomputer (and an unspecified model
      of Commodore PET) in the morning, and then bringing it down to InfoAge.
      I don't have anywhere else to be until around 5:30-6:00pm.

      Three things I'd like to do in our H-building space:
      1. Almost everything is already on pallets or wheels; I'd like to put
      stuff in a more intelligent order.
      2. Per orders from Fred, we need to clear space by the side door, for
      emergency purposes.
      3. Tomorrow I'm going shopping for tarps. We should cover more stuff
      from dust and humidity.

      I'm hoping that for VCF we can get a "daytime conditional use
      certificate" from Wall Township. That will let us run walk-throughs of
      our future museum area. We'll rope off everything except the aisle.
      The idea is people can walk through and be amazed by what we've got.
      We'll advertise this as a one-time, pre-alpha, sneak preview.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011
        > 3. Tomorrow I'm going shopping for tarps. We should cover more stuff from dust and humidity.

        Why do I * always * forget some detail!?

        Instead of official "tarps" I might go for dropcloths and/or plastic
        sheeting. That's much less expensive, so we can get more of it.

        Also I'm going to ask Fred if we can tack some to the ceiling beams /
        walls. That should help keep things slightly cleaner.
      • Bruce Freeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
          I'm not following how tarps will protect from humidity.  Will you be using dehumidifiers or dehumidifying agents beneath them?

          Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

          Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

          --
          Bruce
          NJ
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
            On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

            I'm not following how tarps will protect from humidity.

            Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building, so this should ease the problem.

            Will you be using dehumidifiers or dehumidifying agents beneath them?

            Not only that, any place with a large amount of equipment should have a Hygrometer, analog or digital, to keep tabs on this.
            Both extremes can be a problem, Winter time = Too low = Too much static vs. Summer Time = Too High = Parts corrode
            Sometimes just one humidifier/dehumidifier might not cut it, now that you're in a much larger building.

            Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

            Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

            Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011

              On Feb 5, 2011, at 9:16 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

              Harbor Freight has tarps, sometimes at good prices.   There's a vendor at Collingswood Flea Market who sells tarps, but I'm not sure whether he's there in this weather.

              Watch out that some vinyl plastic has plasticizers that can affect paint.  I don't know whether this is true for tarps.

              Drop clothes are usually safest best, plus they're easily conform to all the diff shapes.

              Just beware of plastic; any insulator will produce static electricity, which isn't a good thing for vintage computers.  That's why ESD bags (the silver bags a lot of electronic devices are packaged in) are conductive.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2011
                >>> Wasn't there an announcement about a new HVAC being installed in the H building

                No. Not anytime soon.