Re: [midatlanticretro] Photos of interest from tmesis.net photos

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
      B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

      >Anything missing that is not in a photo? Is there an Altair?

      Didn't see one.

      >Here are my favorites
      >
      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__006.jpg - what is this

      One of the mnay rows of shelves in the basement. Those are all Racal Vadic
      modems on the right. I used to set those up at Lakehurst for Naval Depots
      to log into the VAX 11/780s and 785s back in the day.

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__007.jpg - pdp/8e - drive storage
      >or tape?

      Not in the rack. I have several TU56 drives (DECtape) in my possession
      earmarked for InfoAge.

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__020.jpg - note front right corner

      Not sure but the fellow on the left looks vaguely familiar.

      >s-100 system with drive http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__014.jpg -
      >same s-100 system with drive different angle.

      Not certain... just a dining room table chock full of kit. In the rows
      of shelving in the basement was a set of drawers with S-100 cards. Not
      sure what but clearly S-100.

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__010.jpg - Dazzler, 6800 trainer

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__015.jpg - What brand terminal

      Hazeltine Esprit

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__016.jpg - Digiac
      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__018.jpg - Nec Spinwriter?
      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__024.jpg - IBM Iron
      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__026.jpg - Betavideo

      I took that photo for my own recollection. A college friend owned one.
      His father owned a chain of drug stores in Mass. and he left college
      after his second year to start a video rental. It flopped because he
      was a Beta bigot and refused to adopt to the dejure VHS standard.

      >http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__027.jpg - IMSAI 8080's one with
      >ZPU http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__028.jpg - IBM 1130
      >

      >This stuff is cleanable. What an awesome storage place. Are there any
      >works in progress there?

      Those photos were all rendered from RAW images from one of my Canon 50Ds.
      I can produce far more detailed images if you need more detail.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
        He says the Altair / IMSAI(s) will probably go to his family.

        Saw a couple of those Digiac systems. What are they?

        Anything missing that is not in a photo? Is there an Altair?

        Here are my favorites

        http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__006.jpg - what is this
        http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__007.jpg - pdp/8e - drive storage or tape?

        http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__020.jpg - note front right
        corner s-100 system with drive

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011

          >> Didn't see one.

          I did. In one of the basement corners. But as I said we are probably not getting that.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
            On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Saw a couple of those Digiac systems. What are they?

            Digiac made a bunch of trainers - maybe this is an older one?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Jason T
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
              On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              > This stuff is cleanable. What an awesome storage place. Are there
              > any works in progress there?

              And here is the frozen, museumless Midwest, we experience the pain of envy.

              Quite a find, gentlemen! Someone should do a walk-through with a
              videocam, just to capture the scale of it all.

              --
              jht
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2011
                On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > Saw a couple of those Digiac systems. What are they?

                   Digiac made a bunch of trainers - maybe this is an older one?

                It's definitely a Trainer alright, a Microprocessor Trainer. The layout is typical of one. Apparently one of the many they produced.
                It can be a nice tool for a demonstration class.

              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
                  Jason T <silent700@...> writes:

                  >On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote: >
                  >This stuff is cleanable. What an awesome storage place. Are there > any
                  >works in progress there?
                  >
                  >And here is the frozen, museumless Midwest, we experience the pain of
                  >envy.
                  >
                  >Quite a find, gentlemen! Someone should do a walk-through with a
                  >videocam, just to capture the scale of it all.

                  I wish I would have brought my wife's new birthday present. Canon SX30 IS.
                  It would have done digital video and, believe me, I would have used it.
                • Mr Ian Primus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
                    --- On Fri, 2/4/11, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__015.jpg%c2%a0 -
                    > What brand terminal

                    Esprit - specifically Esprit 1's, initially they were made by Hazeltine, then I think they spun off into their own company. They're VT100 clones.

                    -Ian
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2011
                      Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                      >--TPcGcxQdXi7w9PPyeJlmapPHz5g3hPBRqx1cQjj Content-Type: text/plain;
                      >charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
                      >
                      >--- On Fri, 2/4/11, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/recon__015.jpg=A0 - > What brand
                      >terminal
                      >
                      >Esprit - specifically Esprit 1's, initially they were made by Hazeltine,
                      >th= en I think they spun off into their own company. They're VT100
                      >clones.

                      Ian, do you have one?

                      If so, would you run the VTTEST utility and let me know what you find?

                      Using an Esprit,

                      telnet tmesis.net
                      Username: VTTEST

                      The rest is self explanatory.