Re: [midatlanticretro] sort of OT:I'd like to tell you there's more available...

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2005
      Chris M wrote:

      >I just ordered a single board computer from
      >WeirdStuff. They're sort of bare - need cpu, memory,
      >drives, and I think that's it. It can accomodate
      >anything from a P1 75mhz to PMMX 233mhz, which can be
      >had awful cheap these days. Not a screamer, but an
      >actual SBC for $33. Evidently they sold them out today
      >after I called. They're supposed to be new, o.b. ("out
      >of box"), a rather stupid designation, thought maybe
      >it meant original box. But we'll see. SBC's are not
      >cheap if you've never priced them.
      > Applications - I don't know, for a robot, backup when
      >your laptop craps out. Just a kewell item. You could
      >put it in a box and have a portable puter when needed.
      >I couldn't believe how cheap they were. Some years ago
      >BGMicro sold out of 486DX100 sbc's, and those were
      >pretty complete, before I could get one. I was pissed.
      >They were between $30-60 IIRC. The sku # was 15095 and
      >the part was EM-500.
      > I also ordered a new ECS P4 mainboard for $17. Some
      >of their prices are crazy, but some are downright
      >reasonable. Maybe I should have waited for them and
      >gave some actual feedback before reporting this
      >(assuming they get them back in at all!). Whatever.

      So like an old version of mini-ITX? They sell similar things on ebay. I
      was going to buy one for a bartop MAME machine.
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2005
        > Not a screamer, but an actual SBC for $33.

        FWIW, I can supply probably 15 standard
        Pentium 120 to 700 mHz machines complete
        to a good charity right now. ...so I can probably
        spare 1 or 2 to noncharities as well.

        John A.