sort of OT:I'd like to tell you there's more available...

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2005
      I just ordered a single board computer from
      WeirdStuff. They're sort of bare - need cpu, memory,
      drives, and I think that's it. It can accomodate
      anything from a P1 75mhz to PMMX 233mhz, which can be
      had awful cheap these days. Not a screamer, but an
      actual SBC for $33. Evidently they sold them out today
      after I called. They're supposed to be new, o.b. ("out
      of box"), a rather stupid designation, thought maybe
      it meant original box. But we'll see. SBC's are not
      cheap if you've never priced them.
      Applications - I don't know, for a robot, backup when
      your laptop craps out. Just a kewell item. You could
      put it in a box and have a portable puter when needed.
      I couldn't believe how cheap they were. Some years ago
      BGMicro sold out of 486DX100 sbc's, and those were
      pretty complete, before I could get one. I was pissed.
      They were between $30-60 IIRC. The sku # was 15095 and
      the part was EM-500.
      I also ordered a new ECS P4 mainboard for $17. Some
      of their prices are crazy, but some are downright
      reasonable. Maybe I should have waited for them and
      gave some actual feedback before reporting this
      (assuming they get them back in at all!). Whatever.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2005
        Chris M wrote:

        >I just ordered a single board computer from
        >WeirdStuff. They're sort of bare - need cpu, memory,
        >drives, and I think that's it. It can accomodate
        >anything from a P1 75mhz to PMMX 233mhz, which can be
        >had awful cheap these days. Not a screamer, but an
        >actual SBC for $33. Evidently they sold them out today
        >after I called. They're supposed to be new, o.b. ("out
        >of box"), a rather stupid designation, thought maybe
        >it meant original box. But we'll see. SBC's are not
        >cheap if you've never priced them.
        > Applications - I don't know, for a robot, backup when
        >your laptop craps out. Just a kewell item. You could
        >put it in a box and have a portable puter when needed.
        >I couldn't believe how cheap they were. Some years ago
        >BGMicro sold out of 486DX100 sbc's, and those were
        >pretty complete, before I could get one. I was pissed.
        >They were between $30-60 IIRC. The sku # was 15095 and
        >the part was EM-500.
        > I also ordered a new ECS P4 mainboard for $17. Some
        >of their prices are crazy, but some are downright
        >reasonable. Maybe I should have waited for them and
        >gave some actual feedback before reporting this
        >(assuming they get them back in at all!). Whatever.

        So like an old version of mini-ITX? They sell similar things on ebay. I
        was going to buy one for a bartop MAME machine.
      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2005
          > Not a screamer, but an actual SBC for $33.

          FWIW, I can supply probably 15 standard
          Pentium 120 to 700 mHz machines complete
          to a good charity right now. ...so I can probably
          spare 1 or 2 to noncharities as well.

          John A.