Re: [midatlanticretro] Just call us the rescue squad!

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
      > Oooh. Oooh!. Something for EVERYONE.

      Yup. We were joking that it's practically a whole museum.

      > If you see any blank punch cards, grab those, too.

      Okay.

      > Ouch - just found the keypunch pictures. Those are DISGUSTING!

      Most things there were dirty. We'll need to spend a lot of time
      cleaning post-rescue.

      > If the musuem isn't interested in SPARCs, Kelly and I might be.

      To be determined ...

      > In picture 006, what are the two CPU-looking boxes on the bottom

      I don't know.

      > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with the move.

      Cool. Dan said he might be available too. Perhaps you guys could carpool.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011

        Let me know if you need help either to box stuff up or to help move it.

        Yes, we do!  I'll add your name to the list.

        Even those are serious moves.  Have you equipment (like pallet jacks or even fork lifts) available for moving these?

        No, but we have plenty of ambition and stupidity.   :)

        We have those tools when we get to the museum.  Many of our members DO have experience moving really big stuff.  Some of it's on wheels.  We also might hire a day laborer or two.  So we'll be okay.

        BTW, for boxing -- if you haven't discovered Affordable Box Co. in Freehold, http://www.affordableboxes.com/, they're worth knowing about.  New, sturdy boxes.  In quantity you can often get them for about 50c each.  Free boxes are better, but if you can't get those, this place is a decent alternative.
        Very helpful.  Thanks for the info.
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
          If I can get me 30 days notice, I'll take a vacation day or two and help also.

          Kelly
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
            On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with the move.

            Cool.  Dan said he might be available too.  Perhaps you guys could carpool.

            Yes, I'll help.
            I could use some advance notice too, just so I can pin the day and get ready.

            From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
            unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
              > I could use some advance notice too, just so I can pin the day and get
              > ready.

              We'll try to accommodate.

              > From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
              > unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

              We'll be fine with a box truck / lift gate. Probably 16 ft. or similar.
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                >On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                >
                >> There was one big miscommunication: there's no PDP-10. There is, >
                >however, a PDP-8E. :) > > And my favorite, the IBM 1130. It's a
                >beauty, with two drives. > > Mike L.: there are * three * IBM keypunchs,
                >I think they're all 029s.
                >
                > Oooh. Oooh!. Something for EVERYONE. Practically a whole data
                >center. It would be nice if at least one of the 029s was in working
                >condition, or not too far off. If you see any blank punch cards, grab
                >those, too.
                >
                > Ouch - just found the keypunch pictures. Those are DISGUSTING! I've
                >never seen any with grey keyboard units, though - weird. They're
                >usually beige.

                There was a card file in the garage near the keypunches. It may be in
                one of my photos. All the drawers, however, were empty. There's also
                an IBM card READER with that 1130!

                >> And just for good measure, there are various Sparcstations, Gridpads,
                >> and other random things.
                >
                > If the musuem isn't interested in SPARCs, Kelly and I might be.
                >Depends on the models.
                >
                >> Brian posted some pictures: http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/
                >
                > In picture 006, what are the two CPU-looking boxes on the bottom of
                >the stack in the middle of the picture?
                >
                > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with
                >the move.

                The equipment in the garage is pretty well rusted. Also the basement
                was rather damp. There was a dehumidifier but I still saw signs of a
                lot of mildew on much of the documentation. Some of this will need to
                be moved to InfoAge to a good *dry* storage before sifting through it
                as the pages will likely be stuck together in much of it.

                I said to Evan, this was a see-it to believe-it trip. Both of us were
                amazed at how much this guy manage to stash away in his home. I said
                to Evan that I wish my wife would have come along so that she could
                feel thankful I haven't amassed that much! ;)
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                  > There's also an IBM card READER with that 1130!

                  Somehow I missed that.

                  > The equipment in the garage is pretty well rusted.

                  I think a good clean-up will do wonders.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                    On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    >> From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
                    > unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

                    Yeah, reserve a cottage for us. :-)

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Bob Schwier
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7, 2011
                      i remember a friend using one of those as a "fortune telling computer" scam on the
                      board walk.
                      bs