Re: [midatlanticretro] Just call us the rescue squad!

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2011
      > No details yet, but we've been offered a DEC PDP-10, IBM 1130, and IBM '29 keypunch (not sure if it's an 029 or 129). Sweet!

      Update .... me and Brian S. are going to scope out this gear on Friday
      afternoon.
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
        Wow, a DEC 10 - it would be cool if we could get the old CompuServe software and run a couple of forums for our own pleasure.

        Jim

        On 2/2/2011 7:20 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > No details yet, but we've been offered a DEC PDP-10, IBM 1130, and IBM '29 keypunch (not sure if it's an 029 or 129). Sweet!

        Update .... me and Brian S. are going to scope out this gear on Friday
        afternoon.

      • Gene Buckle
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
          On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > Wow, a DEC 10 - it would be cool if we could get the old CompuServe software
          > and run a couple of forums for our own pleasure.

          I'd be happy to just get tapes of the file and message areas...

          g.

          --
          Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

          by the clean end.
        • telmnstr@757.org
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2011
            > Wow, a DEC 10 - it would be cool if we could get the old CompuServe software
            > and run a couple of forums for our own pleasure.
            > Jim

            Was any of the compuserve stuff preserved?
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
              Hi all,

              Brian and I went to visit our new friend today. Turns out he was
              referred to us by Roger Amidon, formerly of Xitan/TDL, which was an
              S-100 company in the Princeton area.

              There was one big miscommunication: there's no PDP-10. There is,
              however, a PDP-8E. :)

              And my favorite, the IBM 1130. It's a beauty, with two drives.

              Mike L.: there are * three * IBM keypunchs, I think they're all 029s.

              There are many AT&T Unix PCs.

              There are many, many, many, many, many AT&T 3B2s.

              A dozen or so teletypes of various models.

              Many shelves of books, manuals, and software.

              There's also a bunch of radio, telephone, and testing equipment that I
              can't identify. Steve @ InfoAge will love it.

              Also a few IMSAIs and Altairs, but he's probably not donating those.

              And just for good measure, there are various Sparcstations, Gridpads,
              and other random things.

              We have until May to rescue all this. The owner said we can wait until
              the snow melts, and then show up with a box truck + lift gate. The 1130
              is in his garage; the rest is in a basement. But we can drive the truck
              dowhilll around back where there's a ground-level basement entrance.

              This rescue will take some serious coordination. Brian, and whoever
              wants to assist, can make some preliminary trips to box up the
              (zillions) of little things. That will make getting to the big things
              much easier.

              This guy's house (actually his brother-in-law's former house) is FULL of
              gear. The two-car garage, basement, and most of the upstairs have gear
              in almost every room.

              Brian posted some pictures: http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                > Hi all,
                >
                > Brian and I went to visit our new friend today. Turns out he was referred to us by Roger Amidon, formerly of Xitan/TDL, which was an S-100 company in the Princeton area.

                I forgot to mention terminals. Lots and lots of terminals.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                  On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > There was one big miscommunication: there's no PDP-10. There is,
                  > however, a PDP-8E. :)
                  >
                  > And my favorite, the IBM 1130. It's a beauty, with two drives.
                  >
                  > Mike L.: there are * three * IBM keypunchs, I think they're all 029s.

                  Oooh. Oooh!. Something for EVERYONE. Practically a whole data
                  center. It would be nice if at least one of the 029s was in working
                  condition, or not too far off. If you see any blank punch cards, grab
                  those, too.

                  Ouch - just found the keypunch pictures. Those are DISGUSTING! I've
                  never seen any with grey keyboard units, though - weird. They're usually
                  beige.

                  > And just for good measure, there are various Sparcstations, Gridpads,
                  > and other random things.

                  If the musuem isn't interested in SPARCs, Kelly and I might be.
                  Depends on the models.

                  > Brian posted some pictures: http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/

                  In picture 006, what are the two CPU-looking boxes on the bottom of the
                  stack in the middle of the picture?

                  Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with the
                  move.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Bruce Freeman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Evan,

                    Sounds like a worthwhile rescue.  Let me know if you need help either to box stuff up or to help move it.

                    Not being up on all this equipment, the only things I recognized were the 1130 and the keypunches.  Even those are serious moves.  Have you equipment (like pallet jacks or even fork lifts) available for moving these?

                    BTW, for boxing -- if you haven't discovered Affordable Box Co. in Freehold, http://www.affordableboxes.com/, they're worth knowing about.  New, sturdy boxes.  In quantity you can often get them for about 50c each.  Free boxes are better, but if you can't get those, this place is a decent alternative.

                    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > Brian and I went to visit our new friend today. Turns out he was referred to us by Roger Amidon, formerly of Xitan/TDL, which was an S-100 company in the Princeton area.

                    I forgot to mention terminals. Lots and lots of terminals.

                    --
                    Bruce
                    NJ
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                      > Oooh. Oooh!. Something for EVERYONE.

                      Yup. We were joking that it's practically a whole museum.

                      > If you see any blank punch cards, grab those, too.

                      Okay.

                      > Ouch - just found the keypunch pictures. Those are DISGUSTING!

                      Most things there were dirty. We'll need to spend a lot of time
                      cleaning post-rescue.

                      > If the musuem isn't interested in SPARCs, Kelly and I might be.

                      To be determined ...

                      > In picture 006, what are the two CPU-looking boxes on the bottom

                      I don't know.

                      > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with the move.

                      Cool. Dan said he might be available too. Perhaps you guys could carpool.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011

                        Let me know if you need help either to box stuff up or to help move it.

                        Yes, we do!  I'll add your name to the list.

                        Even those are serious moves.  Have you equipment (like pallet jacks or even fork lifts) available for moving these?

                        No, but we have plenty of ambition and stupidity.   :)

                        We have those tools when we get to the museum.  Many of our members DO have experience moving really big stuff.  Some of it's on wheels.  We also might hire a day laborer or two.  So we'll be okay.

                        BTW, for boxing -- if you haven't discovered Affordable Box Co. in Freehold, http://www.affordableboxes.com/, they're worth knowing about.  New, sturdy boxes.  In quantity you can often get them for about 50c each.  Free boxes are better, but if you can't get those, this place is a decent alternative.
                        Very helpful.  Thanks for the info.
                      • Kelly D. Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                          If I can get me 30 days notice, I'll take a vacation day or two and help also.

                          Kelly
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                            On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                            > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with the move.

                            Cool.  Dan said he might be available too.  Perhaps you guys could carpool.

                            Yes, I'll help.
                            I could use some advance notice too, just so I can pin the day and get ready.

                            From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
                            unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                              > I could use some advance notice too, just so I can pin the day and get
                              > ready.

                              We'll try to accommodate.

                              > From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
                              > unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

                              We'll be fine with a box truck / lift gate. Probably 16 ft. or similar.
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                                Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                                >On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                >
                                >> There was one big miscommunication: there's no PDP-10. There is, >
                                >however, a PDP-8E. :) > > And my favorite, the IBM 1130. It's a
                                >beauty, with two drives. > > Mike L.: there are * three * IBM keypunchs,
                                >I think they're all 029s.
                                >
                                > Oooh. Oooh!. Something for EVERYONE. Practically a whole data
                                >center. It would be nice if at least one of the 029s was in working
                                >condition, or not too far off. If you see any blank punch cards, grab
                                >those, too.
                                >
                                > Ouch - just found the keypunch pictures. Those are DISGUSTING! I've
                                >never seen any with grey keyboard units, though - weird. They're
                                >usually beige.

                                There was a card file in the garage near the keypunches. It may be in
                                one of my photos. All the drawers, however, were empty. There's also
                                an IBM card READER with that 1130!

                                >> And just for good measure, there are various Sparcstations, Gridpads,
                                >> and other random things.
                                >
                                > If the musuem isn't interested in SPARCs, Kelly and I might be.
                                >Depends on the models.
                                >
                                >> Brian posted some pictures: http://tmesis.net/MARCH/Photos/
                                >
                                > In picture 006, what are the two CPU-looking boxes on the bottom of
                                >the stack in the middle of the picture?
                                >
                                > Depending on the date, I might be able to drive out and help with
                                >the move.

                                The equipment in the garage is pretty well rusted. Also the basement
                                was rather damp. There was a dehumidifier but I still saw signs of a
                                lot of mildew on much of the documentation. Some of this will need to
                                be moved to InfoAge to a good *dry* storage before sifting through it
                                as the pages will likely be stuck together in much of it.

                                I said to Evan, this was a see-it to believe-it trip. Both of us were
                                amazed at how much this guy manage to stash away in his home. I said
                                to Evan that I wish my wife would have come along so that she could
                                feel thankful I haven't amassed that much! ;)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                                  > There's also an IBM card READER with that 1130!

                                  Somehow I missed that.

                                  > The equipment in the garage is pretty well rusted.

                                  I think a good clean-up will do wonders.
                                • Mike Loewen
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2011
                                    On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                    >> From the looks of it, sounds like it might be an all wknd event.
                                    > unless you get a 18wheeler ;)

                                    Yeah, reserve a cottage for us. :-)

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  • Bob Schwier
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 7, 2011
                                      i remember a friend using one of those as a "fortune telling computer" scam on the
                                      board walk.
                                      bs