Re: [midatlanticretro] New stuff to play with!

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
      >Anybody in the group willing to answer a few questions and guide me on
      >OpenVMS occasionally? For example, will DECNet play with peer-to-peer
      >windoze networks? Is there an online source of version 6.2 manuals? I don't
      >see (so far) any interesting applications such as prog. languages, etc on
      >the machine. It was probably just locked down with the apps it was
      >dedicated in managing (x-ray backscatter system). Boring. If I'm able to
      >get the Hobby License for the Alpha, then mans and languages will come with
      >it. But what can I do with this thing to have fun otherwise :-/ ?

      I know one or two things about VMS. ;)

      DECnet will play nicely with other DECnet. WEENDOZE networking? Gack!

      Manuals are on-line at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/os84_index.html

      Hobbyist licensing applies to all three VMS platforms. You can get
      PAKs for your Alpha. See the OpenVMS FAQ.

      >This is too long. But in closing, I do have my eye on a distro of OpenVMS
      >7.2 in its box found in another group's area of that attic plus a DEC
      >4000-400 VAXServer setting in an area that looks like it might be our
      >engineering group's pile.

      Whatever you may need, I've probably got! ;)

      While you're perusing the on-line docs, read through this for reference:

      http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/84final/9996/9996pro_233.html#brass_103

      and names! ;)