RE: [midatlanticretro] Pickup or truck needed for rescue

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011

      >>> He also said it needs to be transported upright

      I disagree with that. If we convince him it's perfectly safe to
      carefully lay it on its side, then would it fit in your van?

      Happy to help you on-site.
      His observation was that there were a lot of mechanical bits in the tape drives that would not transport well. A pickup would be ideal, but I don't have one. Just wrap it in a tarp.
      It will fit in the van laying down, but I don't trust my van to make infoage and back.  I could probably get something like a Suburban for the day.
      Kelly
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011

        His observation was that there were a lot of mechanical bits in the tape drives that would not transport well. A pickup would be ideal, but I don't have one. Just wrap it in a tarp.
        It will fit in the van laying down, but I don't trust my van to make infoage and back.  I could probably get something like a Suburban for the day.

        Let's move these details off-list .... I will call you.
      • Bruce Freeman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
          How much weight are we talking about?  Is someone willing to pick up the cost of gas?

          On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

          We have the opportunity to rescue the TI minicomputer. However, it is
          the size of a refrigerator and the current owner says it doesn't come
          apart easily. He also said it needs to be transported upright. It is 5'
          1" tall.

          So, anyone in NW New Jersey (near Flanders) have a pickup truck or cargo
          van available for 2/5 or 2/12? Rental is out for a single unit. I just
          don't have the $127 spare for a U-Haul that computer would fit in.

          Additionally, he said we would need 2 people. Ideally, I'd like to pick
          it up early in the morning and go right to InfoAge.

          --
          Bruce
          NJ
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
            I don't know the weight.  However our vehicle request is now on hold -- Kelly might be able to borrow a Suburban from someone.  Anyway, regardless of whose vehicle we use, yes of course we will reimburse for gas.

          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

              >I don't know the weight. However our vehicle request is now on hold --
              >Kelly might be able to borrow a Suburban from someone. Anyway,
              >regardless of whose vehicle we use, yes of course we will reimburse for gas.

              I'm not concerned about reimbursement but there is a garage full of
              DEC history here that would love to find a new home in and about the
              Evans Area. ;)
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                >>> I'm not concerned about reimbursement but there is a garage full

                I doubt there will be enough space + time during this particular haul. But, we also have the DEC/IBM rescue that I mentioned yesterday -- for that one we'll probably need a box truck + lift gate -- so we'll try to coordinate with you.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                  >I doubt there will be enough space + time during this particular haul. But, we also have the DEC/IBM rescue that I mentioned
                  >yesterday -- for that one we'll probably need a box truck + lift gate -- so we'll try to coordinate with you.

                  You want me to help you pick up that kit?
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011

                    >> You want me to help you pick up that kit?

                    Help is good.

                    I'm waiting to hear about when I can go scope out the location, etc., and then we'll coordinate the rescue itself.