Pickup or truck needed for rescue

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
      We have the opportunity to rescue the TI minicomputer. However, it is
      the size of a refrigerator and the current owner says it doesn't come
      apart easily. He also said it needs to be transported upright. It is 5'
      1" tall.

      So, anyone in NW New Jersey (near Flanders) have a pickup truck or cargo
      van available for 2/5 or 2/12? Rental is out for a single unit. I just
      don't have the $127 spare for a U-Haul that computer would fit in.

      Additionally, he said we would need 2 people. Ideally, I'd like to pick
      it up early in the morning and go right to InfoAge.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
        >>> He also said it needs to be transported upright

        I disagree with that. If we convince him it's perfectly safe to
        carefully lay it on its side, then would it fit in your van?

        Happy to help you on-site.
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011

          >>> He also said it needs to be transported upright

          I disagree with that. If we convince him it's perfectly safe to
          carefully lay it on its side, then would it fit in your van?

          Happy to help you on-site.
          His observation was that there were a lot of mechanical bits in the tape drives that would not transport well. A pickup would be ideal, but I don't have one. Just wrap it in a tarp.
          It will fit in the van laying down, but I don't trust my van to make infoage and back.  I could probably get something like a Suburban for the day.
          Kelly
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011

            His observation was that there were a lot of mechanical bits in the tape drives that would not transport well. A pickup would be ideal, but I don't have one. Just wrap it in a tarp.
            It will fit in the van laying down, but I don't trust my van to make infoage and back.  I could probably get something like a Suburban for the day.

            Let's move these details off-list .... I will call you.
          • Bruce Freeman

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
                I don't know the weight.  However our vehicle request is now on hold -- Kelly might be able to borrow a Suburban from someone.  Anyway, regardless of whose vehicle we use, yes of course we will reimburse for gas.

              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                  Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                  >I don't know the weight. However our vehicle request is now on hold --
                  >Kelly might be able to borrow a Suburban from someone. Anyway,
                  >regardless of whose vehicle we use, yes of course we will reimburse for gas.

                  I'm not concerned about reimbursement but there is a garage full of
                  DEC history here that would love to find a new home in and about the
                  Evans Area. ;)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                    >>> I'm not concerned about reimbursement but there is a garage full

                    I doubt there will be enough space + time during this particular haul. But, we also have the DEC/IBM rescue that I mentioned yesterday -- for that one we'll probably need a box truck + lift gate -- so we'll try to coordinate with you.
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
                      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                      >I doubt there will be enough space + time during this particular haul. But, we also have the DEC/IBM rescue that I mentioned
                      >yesterday -- for that one we'll probably need a box truck + lift gate -- so we'll try to coordinate with you.

                      You want me to help you pick up that kit?
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011

                        >> You want me to help you pick up that kit?

                        Help is good.

                        I'm waiting to hear about when I can go scope out the location, etc., and then we'll coordinate the rescue itself.