catweasel project

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
      I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight. Pretty cool.

      I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging I am testing
      with random formats.

      Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB 5
      1/4 will mimic a 8" drive. I guess I just need to make a cable.

      Bill Degnan

      -----
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
        At 09:45 PM 1/27/2011, you wrote:
        >I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight. Pretty cool.
        >
        >I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging I am testing
        >with random formats.
        >
        >Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB 5
        >1/4 will mimic a 8" drive. I guess I just need to make a cable.

        As many of you probably already know, here is how you make the cable
        http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img29374/cnct.htm

        I am all set, I have everything else ready, I just need to make the cable.

        "Thanks Dave Dunfield"

        Bill
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
          On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight.  Pretty cool.

          I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging  I am testing
          with random formats.

          Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB 5
          1/4 will mimic a 8" drive.  I guess I just need to make a cable.

          Is this the place you ordered that ?
          http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=842&currency=USD
          I might get one

          =Dan

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
            On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:

            > I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight. Pretty cool.
            >
            > I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging I am testing
            > with random formats.
            >
            > Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB 5
            > 1/4 will mimic a 8" drive. I guess I just need to make a cable.

            Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

            http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
              Bill Degnan

              > > I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight. Pretty
              cool.

              > > I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging I am
              testing
              > > with random formats.
              > >
              > > Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB
              5
              > > 1/4 will mimic a 8" drive. I guess I just need to make a cable.
              >
              > Do yourself a favor and get one of these:
              >
              > http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

              Yes. That would be a serious help. Thanks for the tip
              Bd
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
                > > I have successfully instaled a catweasel MK4plus tonight. Pretty
                cool.

                > > I started by getting a 1.2MB 5 1/4" drive running and imaging I am
                testing
                > > with random formats.
                > >
                > > Next I need to figure out how to attach a 8"drive, assuming the 1.2 MB
                5
                > > 1/4 will mimic a 8" drive. I guess I just need to make a cable.
                > >

                > Is this the place you ordered that ?

                http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=842
                ¤cy=USD
                > I might get one
                >
                > =Dan

                No. I got it from Ebay.
                Bd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                  That's what I plan to use, a TM848, and the two popular Shugart's,
                  800 / 850. Qume, etc

                  http://vintagecomputer.net/shugart/SA851/

                  It might be fun to try to motivate an iCOM drive or other esoteric
                  species, being that it's easier when you don't have to worry about
                  the TG43 line going low for inner tracks issue.

                  Micropolis hard sector? Northstar, MITS, RK02? the possibilities are
                  endless, but I realize that just because you have an image does not
                  mean you have something usable.

                  I exchanged emails with the DBIT guy today, placed an order.

                  Until I get this adapter I am using a 1/2 height IBM AT 1.2Mb 5 1/4"
                  drive. Good disks can be imaged in a matter of seconds with it.

                  bd

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                    On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, B Degnan wrote:

                    > Until I get this adapter I am using a 1/2 height IBM AT 1.2Mb 5 1/4"
                    > drive. Good disks can be imaged in a matter of seconds with it.

                    I was pleasantly surprised by the speed at which it could image a disk.
                    I tried it with both 1.2MB and 360KB drives, and it works well.

                    I will still use IMD for certain things. I would like to see more
                    formats added to Catweasel's Imagetool software.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...