RE: [midatlanticretro] Woohoo!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
      I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
      http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also a forum by
      Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
      isn't updated.

      There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
      difference.

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
        It'll display the OS version when you boot the system (or just type
        ver at the command prompt). From that page you referenced below
        the author is unsure whether the DOS 3.1 is on the ROM or bubble
        memory. I'll bet with confidence that it's a DOS ROM (like a BASIC
        ROM) not the bubble memory that stores the OS. My GRID also has
        a 3.1 DOS ROM, but it's not a Compass.

        Bill

        >I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
        >http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also
        a forum by
        >Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
        >isn't updated.
        >
        >There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
        >difference.

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
          I just remembered -- you said you used to repair them.

          It should arrive here later this week or early next week, I can't wait...

          It'll display the OS version when you boot the system (or just type ver at
          the command prompt). From that page you referenced below the author is
          unsure whether the DOS 3.1 is on the ROM or bubble memory. I'll bet with
          confidence that it's a DOS ROM (like a BASIC
          ROM) not the bubble memory that stores the OS. My GRID also has
          a 3.1 DOS ROM, but it's not a Compass.

          Bill

          >I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
          >http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also
          a forum by
          >Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
          >isn't updated.
          >
          >There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
          >difference.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
            Hi Evan:

            I'm not an active eBay person (although I have bought a few things
            there)... Tell us about StealthBid.. I haven't heard of it.

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
              You sign up for a free account, enter the eBay item # and your maximum price, and then it submits your bid at the last possible second so that people with higher maximum bids don't have time to top yours.

              I was skeptical but Sellam kept urging me to try it, and it worked perfectly.  I kept hitting "refresh" in my browser during the auction's final 10 minutes, and sure enough, with about 5 seconds remaining my StealthBid popped in there.  I immediately refreshed again and this time the auction was closed and I was the winner.

              homepage: http://www.snarc.net

              > Computer
              Collector Newsletter:

              href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

              href="http://www.marchclub.org">http://www.marchclub.org

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------

              ~-->
              > Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo!
              your
              > home page

              href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

              ~->

              > Yahoo! Groups
              Links

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
                On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Evan wrote:

                > You sign up for a free account, enter the eBay item # and your maximum
                > price, and then it submits your bid at the last possible second so that
                > people with higher maximum bids don't have time to top yours.

                These days, the usefulness of these automatic bid services is mainly so
                you don't have to be logged on when the auction ends. Someone else with a
                higher bid ceiling than yours is still going to win, especially if they're
                also using an automatic bid service.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 21, 2005
                  It has "Grid OS 3.1."

                  Ummm, yeah so it arrived today and fired right up! That bright orange
                  startup screen is pretty cool. The computer seems to be in excellent
                  condition as is the manual.

                  However the computer makes a constant, quiet "buzzzzzzzzz" when it's on. Is
                  that normal, just like any other computer?

                  I can't wait to show this off at the next club meeting. :) :) :)

                  - Evan

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                    Just got the printer on my HX-20 to work. Oh happy night.
                  • Jeffrey Frady
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Congrats!

                      Just got the printer on my HX-20 to work. Oh happy night.

                      Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                        Now I better find a source for replacement ribbons before I have too much fun and use of this one.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                          Ha!  That was easy: they're listed on cdw.com.  Who would've guessed?

                          Now I better find a source for replacement ribbons before I have too much fun and use of this one.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 3 10:46 AM
                            This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                            connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                            wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.

                            So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                            (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.

                            Coooool.
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 3 7:35 PM
                              evan947 wrote:
                              > This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                              > connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                              > wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                              >
                              > So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                              > (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                              >
                              > Coooool.

                              Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                              so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                              increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 3 7:44 PM
                                No, but I'll let Bryan chime in. He knows the setup best.
                              • Bryan Pope
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 4 6:10 AM
                                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                  > evan947 wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                  >> connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                  >> wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                                  >>
                                  >> So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                  >> (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                                  >>
                                  >> Coooool.
                                  >>

                                  > Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                                  > so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                                  > increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,

                                  No.. Unfortunately the antenna is hard-wired to this device.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Bryan
                                • Sridhar Ayengar
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 4 7:41 AM
                                    Bryan Pope wrote:
                                    > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                    >> evan947 wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                    >>> connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                    >>> wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                    >>> (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Coooool.
                                    >>>
                                    >> Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                                    >> so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                                    >> increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,
                                    >>

                                    > No.. Unfortunately the antenna is hard-wired to this device.

                                    Oh well.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                      Wake-up time for Maker Faire...

                                      I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                      Dan R., Ethan, Jeff(s), etc. can all vouch for this.

                                      Anyway: Alise and I loaded her car last night. Leaving soon.
                                    • Mike Loewen
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                        On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                        > Wake-up time for Maker Faire...
                                        >
                                        > I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                        ...because it's in NYC.

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                          On 09/29/2012 09:08 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                          > On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Wake-up time for Maker Faire...
                                          >>
                                          >> I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.
                                          >
                                          > ...because it's in NYC.

                                          Pretty much, yeah. :-(

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • Christian Liendo
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012

                                            Sorry but now I am saying guardian to the two kids... I will try and help out tomorrow for an hr or 2. I have tickets, so I am good.

                                            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                            I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                            Dan R., Ethan, Jeff(s), etc. can all vouch for this.

                                            Anyway: Alise and I loaded her car last night. Leaving soon.

                                          • Burning Image
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 30, 2012

                                              If I hadn't been traveling for the past 2 weeks, I would have been there.

                                              Cory - WA3UVV

                                              1a. Woohoo!
                                                  Posted by: "Evan Koblentz" evan@... ekoblentz
                                                  Date: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:11 am ((PDT))