Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Alpine/Pine - mother duck syndrome

    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 27, 2011
      Many replies...

      Mike,

      >>I use vi every day. I even use it to create my web pages. :-)

      Does vi on modern systems support source coloring? Kedit added that back
      in the 90's but as it is no longer supported, new languages don't get
      coloring support. I've been trying to switch to Notepad++ (open source)
      but it's so hard to give up a screen with line-numbers on whichever side
      you like.

      Bill,

      >>My favorite old editor is a program called QEdit, I like it because
      it can block both columns and rows.

      Kedit has had vertical blocks since that same time frame, although the
      Windows version makes the selection process much easier.

      System,

      >>Why would you say that?

      Exposure to so many platforms would tend to indicate multiple employers.

      >>You had a denial of service editor called TED? Some unfamiliar with
      'vi' might consider it a denial of service editor. :)

      Some would say that PC DOS was a denial of service, and I can never
      rememmber to change vi to command mode and back again so DOS is appropo
      there as well!

      Kelly,

      >>Bah, for HTML I toggle in binary code using a couple of bare wires
      and a shift register. Gotta be quick.

      <long chuckle....../>

      Gene,

      >>Pfft. WordStar baby. WordStar. :) (it was a huge bonus that Borland
      chose to mimic the WS keybindings for Turbo Pascal. *grin*)

      The Wordstar keyboard "diamond" for moving the cursor on a glass tube
      was so logical that it stuck long beyond any real need. Keyboards with
      cursor keys made those Ctrl-keys unneeded, but not unwanted!

      >>> And I trimmed off the crap at the bottom for you Pine/Elm guys.
      >>>
      >>Thanks! Does that mean there's hope that you can be broken of the
      whole "top posting" habit too? :)

      I read this list and ccTalk in Thunderbird - pretty close to a Windows
      version of Pine. I sort the messages by subject and date so they are in
      thread order and start to read. I don't need or want to see all the
      prior messages in every message because I just read the prior messages.
      I just want to read the new reply, which is easiest if the reply is at
      the top. If I need to refer to earlier content, I'm happy to scroll down
      to find what the author chose the leave in the message. So no, my
      posting habits will not change as I continue to silently campaign for
      more logical top posting. I do not understand why people want to scroll
      past all the stuff they have already read to find the three sentences of
      new stuff at the bottom. Totally illogical.

      Ray,

      >>I once had a nice DOS editor called, TED. Did a fine job... only 3K
      in size.

      My but our needs were so simple back then! TED => tiny editor. Wasn't
      that a port of an editor from some other platform? The DEC10 maybe?

      Christopher,

      Was Edlin a port of an editor on CP/M? Certainly Microsoft did not
      invent it, so it had to come from somewhere...

      Jim

      Message 49 of 49 , Jan 28, 2011
        Mark,

        Wow...  SPF/PC. I had that for DOS back in the mid-80's. I even tried writing macros to make it work more like MVS/TSO with SPF which was my second environment. But after a while I realized I had bonded to Xedit, so...

        Jim

        On 1/27/2011 9:23 PM, madodel wrote:

        Jim Scheef wrote:
        > Wow! Imagine that... BOTH colors!

        Well on a Green screen that would be green and black, and on an amber
        screen orange and black. Just keep changing monochrome monitors to get a
        variety of colors. I still prefer SPFPC myself (which does have color
        syntax highlighting) and it has line numbers and line commands. But I
        haven't updated it in about 15 years since they dropped the OS/2 version.

        Mark