Re: [midatlanticretro] Spaghetti code

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
      On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

      >    Might this be the origin of the term?
      >
      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/Plug01-L.jpg

      Yea,yea you software guys are always trying to blame hardware :)
      That may be the origin of 'Kludge' :)

      What I like to know is what came first
      As you SW folks always like to be original ;)
      Spaghetti code, Pasta code or Lasagna code
      http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/pasta.code.html

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
        Real programmers don't use comments. If it was hard to write, it should
        be hard to understand.

        Back in the late 80's we bought a CICS package from IBM's Italian
        subsidiary. I do not recall what the software was supposed to do, but it
        was written in COBOL. The COBOL was straightforward and easy to
        understand (COBOL keywords are English) except that all the variable
        names were in Italian. A couple people with grandparents from "the old
        country" had to translate the source code! I'm not sure which pasta fits
        this code as the problem was the sauce.

        Jim