Spaghetti code

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
        On 01/27/2011 09:48 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > Might this be the origin of the term?
        >
        > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/Plug01-L.jpg

        I just don't see any relationship Mike. Sorry.

        Barry
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
          On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Barry L. Kline wrote:

          > On 01/27/2011 09:48 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
          >>
          >> Might this be the origin of the term?
          >>
          >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/Plug01-L.jpg
          >
          > I just don't see any relationship Mike. Sorry.

          I worry about you... :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Barry L. Kline
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
            On 01/27/2011 10:17 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:

            >> I just don't see any relationship Mike. Sorry.
            >
            > I worry about you... :-)

            :-)

            I looked at the tag in the upper left corner but couldn't quite make it
            out. Is there a date written on it?

            Barry
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
              On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Barry L. Kline wrote:

              > I looked at the tag in the upper left corner but couldn't quite make it
              > out. Is there a date written on it?

              June 6, 1963. There are more photos and a short description on my
              Punch Cards page:

              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/PunchCards.html#Plugboards

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Barry L. Kline
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
                On 01/27/2011 11:41 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:

                >> I looked at the tag in the upper left corner but couldn't quite make it
                >> out. Is there a date written on it?
                >
                > June 6, 1963. There are more photos and a short description on my
                > Punch Cards page:
                >
                > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/PunchCards.html#Plugboards

                Thanks!

                The photo of the machine it came from was pretty cool.

                BK
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
                  On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                  >    Might this be the origin of the term?
                  >
                  > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/Plug01-L.jpg

                  Yea,yea you software guys are always trying to blame hardware :)
                  That may be the origin of 'Kludge' :)

                  What I like to know is what came first
                  As you SW folks always like to be original ;)
                  Spaghetti code, Pasta code or Lasagna code
                  http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/pasta.code.html

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
                    Real programmers don't use comments. If it was hard to write, it should
                    be hard to understand.

                    Back in the late 80's we bought a CICS package from IBM's Italian
                    subsidiary. I do not recall what the software was supposed to do, but it
                    was written in COBOL. The COBOL was straightforward and easy to
                    understand (COBOL keywords are English) except that all the variable
                    names were in Italian. A couple people with grandparents from "the old
                    country" had to translate the source code! I'm not sure which pasta fits
                    this code as the problem was the sauce.

                    Jim