Woohoo!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
      Just won an eBay auction for a working Grid Compass 1101 with manuals.

      It cost a lot more than I hoped, but working models with the documentation
      are very hard to find. Did my homework before bidding. Also took Sellam's
      advice and used the StealthBid service.

      So now I'm a very happy (and slightly poorer) collector.

    • Degnan
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
        I wonder if that has a DOS ROM chip, and if so what version of DOS?
        Let me know how it goes.
        Bill

        At Monday, 19 December 2005, you wrote:

        >Just won an eBay auction for a working Grid Compass 1101 with manuals.
        >
        >It cost a lot more than I hoped, but working models with the documentation
        >are very hard to find. Did my homework before bidding. Also took
        Sellam's
        >advice and used the StealthBid service.
        >
        >So now I'm a very happy (and slightly poorer) collector.

        -- E N D --
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
          I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
          http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also a forum by
          Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
          isn't updated.

          There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
          difference.

          I wonder if that has a DOS ROM chip, and if so what version of DOS?
          Let me know how it goes.
          Bill

          At Monday, 19 December 2005, you wrote:

          >Just won an eBay auction for a working Grid Compass 1101 with manuals.
          >
          >It cost a lot more than I hoped, but working models with the
          >documentation are very hard to find. Did my homework before bidding.
          >Also took
          Sellam's
          >advice and used the StealthBid service.
          >
          >So now I'm a very happy (and slightly poorer) collector.

          -- E N D --

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
        • Degnan
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
            It'll display the OS version when you boot the system (or just type
            ver at the command prompt). From that page you referenced below
            the author is unsure whether the DOS 3.1 is on the ROM or bubble
            memory. I'll bet with confidence that it's a DOS ROM (like a BASIC
            ROM) not the bubble memory that stores the OS. My GRID also has
            a 3.1 DOS ROM, but it's not a Compass.

            Bill

            >I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
            >http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also
            a forum by
            >Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
            >isn't updated.
            >
            >There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
            >difference.

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
              I just remembered -- you said you used to repair them.

              It should arrive here later this week or early next week, I can't wait...

              It'll display the OS version when you boot the system (or just type ver at
              the command prompt). From that page you referenced below the author is
              unsure whether the DOS 3.1 is on the ROM or bubble memory. I'll bet with
              confidence that it's a DOS ROM (like a BASIC
              ROM) not the bubble memory that stores the OS. My GRID also has
              a 3.1 DOS ROM, but it's not a Compass.

              Bill

              >I have no idea. The best page I found so far is
              >http://home.total.net/~hrothgar/museum/Compass/ and there's also
              a forum by
              >Rob Borsari at http://www.pd.com/gbmain.html but it seems like that one
              >isn't updated.
              >
              >There was an earlier Compass 1100 model, I'm trying to figure out the
              >difference.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
                Hi Evan:

                I'm not an active eBay person (although I have bought a few things
                there)... Tell us about StealthBid.. I haven't heard of it.

                73 de Ray

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
                  You sign up for a free account, enter the eBay item # and your maximum price, and then it submits your bid at the last possible second so that people with higher maximum bids don't have time to top yours.

                  I was skeptical but Sellam kept urging me to try it, and it worked perfectly.  I kept hitting "refresh" in my browser during the auction's final 10 minutes, and sure enough, with about 5 seconds remaining my StealthBid popped in there.  I immediately refreshed again and this time the auction was closed and I was the winner.

                  homepage: http://www.snarc.net

                  > Computer
                  Collector Newsletter:

                  href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

                  href="http://www.marchclub.org">http://www.marchclub.org

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------

                  ~-->
                  > Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo!
                  your
                  > home page

                  href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

                  ~->

                  > Yahoo! Groups
                  Links

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 19, 2005
                    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Evan wrote:

                    > You sign up for a free account, enter the eBay item # and your maximum
                    > price, and then it submits your bid at the last possible second so that
                    > people with higher maximum bids don't have time to top yours.

                    These days, the usefulness of these automatic bid services is mainly so
                    you don't have to be logged on when the auction ends. Someone else with a
                    higher bid ceiling than yours is still going to win, especially if they're
                    also using an automatic bid service.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 21, 2005
                      It has "Grid OS 3.1."

                      Ummm, yeah so it arrived today and fired right up! That bright orange
                      startup screen is pretty cool. The computer seems to be in excellent
                      condition as is the manual.

                      However the computer makes a constant, quiet "buzzzzzzzzz" when it's on. Is
                      that normal, just like any other computer?

                      I can't wait to show this off at the next club meeting. :) :) :)

                      - Evan

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                        Just got the printer on my HX-20 to work. Oh happy night.
                      • Jeffrey Frady
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                          Congrats!

                          Just got the printer on my HX-20 to work. Oh happy night.

                          Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                            Now I better find a source for replacement ribbons before I have too much fun and use of this one.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 11, 2007
                              Ha!  That was easy: they're listed on cdw.com.  Who would've guessed?

                              Now I better find a source for replacement ribbons before I have too much fun and use of this one.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 3, 2007
                                This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.

                                So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.

                                Coooool.
                              • Sridhar Ayengar
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 3, 2007
                                  evan947 wrote:
                                  > This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                  > connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                  > wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                                  >
                                  > So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                  > (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                                  >
                                  > Coooool.

                                  Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                                  so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                                  increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Evan
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 3, 2007
                                    No, but I'll let Bryan chime in. He knows the setup best.
                                  • Bryan Pope
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 4, 2007
                                      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                      > evan947 wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                      >> connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                      >> wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                                      >>
                                      >> So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                      >> (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                                      >>
                                      >> Coooool.
                                      >>

                                      > Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                                      > so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                                      > increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,

                                      No.. Unfortunately the antenna is hard-wired to this device.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bryan
                                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 4, 2007
                                        Bryan Pope wrote:
                                        > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                        >> evan947 wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> This message is sent from the InfoAge main building, via a router,
                                        >>> connected to Bryan's wifi-to-ethernet gadget, connected at 47% status
                                        >>> wirelessly to Steve's router and cable modem across the street.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> So now we just have to run a wire to the event room and we're all set
                                        >>> (in theory) for Chuck Peddle's videocon next week.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Coooool.
                                        >>>
                                        >> Is the doohicky one that uses an RP-TNC connector for its antennas? If
                                        >> so, I wouldn't mind bringing down a couple of higher-dBi antennas to
                                        >> increase the signal, if you think that might be a good idea,
                                        >>

                                        > No.. Unfortunately the antenna is hard-wired to this device.

                                        Oh well.

                                        Peace... Sridhar
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                          Wake-up time for Maker Faire...

                                          I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                          Dan R., Ethan, Jeff(s), etc. can all vouch for this.

                                          Anyway: Alise and I loaded her car last night. Leaving soon.
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                            On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                            > Wake-up time for Maker Faire...
                                            >
                                            > I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                            ...because it's in NYC.

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012
                                              On 09/29/2012 09:08 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                              > On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Wake-up time for Maker Faire...
                                              >>
                                              >> I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.
                                              >
                                              > ...because it's in NYC.

                                              Pretty much, yeah. :-(

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                              New Kensington, PA
                                            • Christian Liendo
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 29, 2012

                                                Sorry but now I am saying guardian to the two kids... I will try and help out tomorrow for an hr or 2. I have tickets, so I am good.

                                                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                                I just don't get why most of MARCH sits this one out. Maker Faire is awesome and it's different from all other events that we attend.

                                                Dan R., Ethan, Jeff(s), etc. can all vouch for this.

                                                Anyway: Alise and I loaded her car last night. Leaving soon.

                                              • Burning Image
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 30, 2012

                                                  If I hadn't been traveling for the past 2 weeks, I would have been there.

                                                  Cory - WA3UVV

                                                  1a. Woohoo!
                                                      Posted by: "Evan Koblentz" evan@... ekoblentz
                                                      Date: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:11 am ((PDT))