Re: [midatlanticretro] FW: Hobbyist DECnet Network - Update

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
      > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear connected to this network (see
      > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then long-term for our museum.)
      >
      > David G., are you reading this? :)

      For 8's only RTS8 has a decnet driver. RTS8 is a real time operating system
      normally used on PDP-8's doing embedded process control.

      I do have one VAX that might be able to do it but haven't done anything
      with that machine. I think it has Ultrix on it. Sound like Dave C. is
      better set up for this.
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
        I have been working on trying to get this set up.
        There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
        static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
        bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
        less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
        it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
        interested.

        -Dave Comley

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
          David,

          Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
          (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
          addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
          listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
          over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
          be in your back yard.

          I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
          visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
          collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
          suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
          technology of the time.

          Jim

          --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

          > I have been working on trying to get this set up.
          > There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
          > static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
          > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
          > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
          > it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
          > interested.
          >
          > -Dave Comley
          >

          > > > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear
          > > connected to this network (see
          > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then
          > > long-term for our museum.)

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
            >>> I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other technology of the time.
            Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on InfoAge's behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers.  It would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file trading allowed.  :)

            Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke (who many of you know from the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out in Munich, Germany ... for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs simultaneously and establishing some of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could webcast the lectures, put cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where attendees can chat with each other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??

            Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
            (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
            addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
            listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
            over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
            be in your back yard.

            I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
            visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
            collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
            suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
            technology of the time.

            Jim

            --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

            > I have been working on trying to get this set up.

            There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
            > static IP address for
            one thing, and my choice of
            > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned
            out to be
            > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once

            it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
            > interested.
            >
            > -Dave Comley
            >

            > > > It would be
            awesome if we get some DEC gear
            > > connected to this network
            (see
            > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then

            long-term for our museum.)

            > Do You
            Yahoo!?
            > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection
            around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • David Comley
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
              For my setup at home, I was very unhappy with
              Verizon's pricing. Business DSL comes in at around
              $80/month with a static address and a lot of other
              stuff I really don't need for playing with DECnet.
              Comcast weighs in at $99. I called my old ISP in
              Doylestown and went with a $25 dialup version. In fact
              I am now looking for a vintage DEC modem so I can run
              this dialup connection the old fashioned way once it
              is up. Traffic seems to be quite low volume. If anyone
              has a lead on a real DEC modem please let me know.
              They appear on the World's Favorite Auction Site
              periodically but I've not paid them much attention in
              the past.

              What infrastructure is currently available at the
              museum site ? Is there existing telephone service with
              inside wiring ?

              -Dave

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of
              > Internet access on
              > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable
              > and DSL providers. It
              > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
              > up a WiFi router, and
              > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading
              > allowed. :)
              >
              > Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke
              > (who many of you know from
              > the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
              > in Munich, Germany ...
              > for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
              > simultaneously and establishing some
              > of kind of intercontinental show link! We could
              > webcast the lectures, put
              > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where
              > attendees can chat with each
              > other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??
              >

              > _____

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Degnan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                Alright Evan! Thanks for everything.
                Bill D
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006

                  Not that I know of.  There probably are some old wires and jacks, but I ** highly doubt ** that they still function.  I will inquire.

                  Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Fred gave me permission to
                  solicit the donation of
                  > Internet access on
                  > InfoAge's
                  behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable
                  > and DSL providers.
                  It
                  > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
                  > up a WiFi
                  router, and
                  > then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file
                  trading
                  > allowed.  :)

                  > Better yet, a while ago
                  I spoke with Hans Franke
                  > (who many of you know from
                  > the cctalk
                  list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
                  > in Munich, Germany ...

                  for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
                  > simultaneously and establishing
                  some
                  > of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could

                  webcast the lectures, put
                  > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks
                  where
                  > attendees can chat with each
                  > other, etc. ... how could
                  would that be!!??

                  _____

                  > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                  > Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra
                  charge.
                  > My cable company
                  > Jim

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                    Evan wrote:

                    > there existing telephone service with inside wiring ?
                    >
                    > Not that I know of. There probably are some old wires and jacks, but
                    > I ** highly doubt ** that they still function. I will inquire.
                    >
                    > Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                    I don't know if its still around, or even in the area, but what about ISDN?
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                      Evan,

                      It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                      Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                      to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                      Jim

                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on
                      > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers. It
                      > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and
                      > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading allowed. :)

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > Evan,
                        >
                        > It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                        > Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                        > to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                        Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                          Jim Scheef wrote:

                          Evan,

                          It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                          Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                          to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                          Too new.  There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                          We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications, but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                          Joe
                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                            Joe Giliberti wrote:
                            > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                            >
                            >>Jim Scheef wrote:
                            >>

                            >>>Evan,
                            >>>
                            >>>It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                            >>>Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                            >>>to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).
                            >>>

                            >>Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.
                            >>

                            > We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications,
                            > but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old
                            > parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                            I was thinking more along the lines of AX.25 or something. But
                            preferably something unlicensed.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006