Re: [midatlanticretro] FW: Hobbyist DECnet Network - Update

  • David Comley
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
      I am planning to join the HECnet mailing list to find
      out more about this. I have a couple of machines at
      home running VMS that I have been planning to run
      DECnet on so joining HECnet would be the next step
      after them up and running. I'll let you know if I get
      successfully connected.

      -Dave

      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

      > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear
      > connected to this network (see
      > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then
      > long-term for our museum.)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
        > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear connected to this network (see
        > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then long-term for our museum.)
        >
        > David G., are you reading this? :)

        For 8's only RTS8 has a decnet driver. RTS8 is a real time operating system
        normally used on PDP-8's doing embedded process control.

        I do have one VAX that might be able to do it but haven't done anything
        with that machine. I think it has Ultrix on it. Sound like Dave C. is
        better set up for this.
      • David Comley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
          I have been working on trying to get this set up.
          There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
          static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
          bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
          less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
          it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
          interested.

          -Dave Comley

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
            David,

            Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
            (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
            addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
            listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
            over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
            be in your back yard.

            I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
            visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
            collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
            suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
            technology of the time.

            Jim

            --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

            > I have been working on trying to get this set up.
            > There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
            > static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
            > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
            > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
            > it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
            > interested.
            >
            > -Dave Comley
            >

            > > > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear
            > > connected to this network (see
            > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then
            > > long-term for our museum.)

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
              >>> I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other technology of the time.
              Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on InfoAge's behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers.  It would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file trading allowed.  :)

              Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke (who many of you know from the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out in Munich, Germany ... for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs simultaneously and establishing some of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could webcast the lectures, put cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where attendees can chat with each other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??

              Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
              (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
              addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
              listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
              over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
              be in your back yard.

              I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
              visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
              collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
              suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
              technology of the time.

              Jim

              --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

              > I have been working on trying to get this set up.

              There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
              > static IP address for
              one thing, and my choice of
              > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned
              out to be
              > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once

              it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
              > interested.
              >
              > -Dave Comley
              >

              > > > It would be
              awesome if we get some DEC gear
              > > connected to this network
              (see
              > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then

              long-term for our museum.)

              > Do You
              Yahoo!?
              > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection
              around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • David Comley
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                For my setup at home, I was very unhappy with
                Verizon's pricing. Business DSL comes in at around
                $80/month with a static address and a lot of other
                stuff I really don't need for playing with DECnet.
                Comcast weighs in at $99. I called my old ISP in
                Doylestown and went with a $25 dialup version. In fact
                I am now looking for a vintage DEC modem so I can run
                this dialup connection the old fashioned way once it
                is up. Traffic seems to be quite low volume. If anyone
                has a lead on a real DEC modem please let me know.
                They appear on the World's Favorite Auction Site
                periodically but I've not paid them much attention in
                the past.

                What infrastructure is currently available at the
                museum site ? Is there existing telephone service with
                inside wiring ?

                -Dave

                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of
                > Internet access on
                > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable
                > and DSL providers. It
                > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
                > up a WiFi router, and
                > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading
                > allowed. :)
                >
                > Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke
                > (who many of you know from
                > the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
                > in Munich, Germany ...
                > for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
                > simultaneously and establishing some
                > of kind of intercontinental show link! We could
                > webcast the lectures, put
                > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where
                > attendees can chat with each
                > other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??
                >

                > _____

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Degnan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                  Alright Evan! Thanks for everything.
                  Bill D
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006

                    Not that I know of.  There probably are some old wires and jacks, but I ** highly doubt ** that they still function.  I will inquire.

                    Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > Fred gave me permission to
                    solicit the donation of
                    > Internet access on
                    > InfoAge's
                    behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable
                    > and DSL providers.
                    It
                    > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
                    > up a WiFi
                    router, and
                    > then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file
                    trading
                    > allowed.  :)

                    > Better yet, a while ago
                    I spoke with Hans Franke
                    > (who many of you know from
                    > the cctalk
                    list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
                    > in Munich, Germany ...

                    for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
                    > simultaneously and establishing
                    some
                    > of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could

                    webcast the lectures, put
                    > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks
                    where
                    > attendees can chat with each
                    > other, etc. ... how could
                    would that be!!??

                    _____

                    > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                    > Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra
                    charge.
                    > My cable company
                    > Jim

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                      Evan wrote:

                      > there existing telephone service with inside wiring ?
                      >
                      > Not that I know of. There probably are some old wires and jacks, but
                      > I ** highly doubt ** that they still function. I will inquire.
                      >
                      > Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                      I don't know if its still around, or even in the area, but what about ISDN?
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                        Evan,

                        It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                        Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                        to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                        Jim

                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                        > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on
                        > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers. It
                        > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and
                        > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading allowed. :)

                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Jim Scheef wrote:
                          > Evan,
                          >
                          > It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                          > Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                          > to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                          Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                            Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                            Jim Scheef wrote:

                            Evan,

                            It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                            Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                            to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                            Too new.  There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                            We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications, but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                            Joe
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                              > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                              >
                              >>Jim Scheef wrote:
                              >>

                              >>>Evan,
                              >>>
                              >>>It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                              >>>Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                              >>>to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).
                              >>>

                              >>Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.
                              >>

                              > We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications,
                              > but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old
                              > parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                              I was thinking more along the lines of AX.25 or something. But
                              preferably something unlicensed.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006