BASIC (was: Special events @ VCF)

  • Bruce Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2011
      BASIC was thrust upon us involuntarily.  Even the name sucks.  The original versions couldn't support such advanced concepts as subroutines!  And it was created to be easy!

      I started using AmigaBASIC before it became obvious that C would have been a better choice.  It can support subroutines and a few other high-level features, so was moderately useful.  I don't recall whether it is compiled or interpreted.  It's main attraction was that it vaguely resembled FORTRAN, which I already knew.

      Now I'm in the same boat -- would like to program but must catch up with modern languages.  Hence, I discovered FreeBASIC.net, which you can explore if you wish.  One neat thing about FreeBASIC is that it self-compiles, and the compiler is written (so the documentation tells me) in FreeBASIC.  (Which came first...?)

      On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:47 AM, <system@...> wrote:

      What BASIC? I've never programmed with BASIC save for what was on my
      Sharp EL-5500 II. Is there even a standard for BASIC today?

      --
      Bruce
      NJ