Special events @ VCF

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
      Hi all,

      I'm renewing a call-for-ideas that I made after VCF East 6.0: what can
      we do for VCF East 7.0 in the realm of "special events" beyond the
      exhibits, lectures, consignment, and workshops?

      For example: last time we had the concert, InfoAge tours, Mike L.'s live
      keypunch restoration, and a BASIC programming contest. All were
      successful except for the programming contest, which was a (mega)flop.

      As the lovable robot Johnny #5 would say, "Input! More input!"

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE

      Thanks.

      PS - We can't do anything that involves MARCH working on attendees' own
      computers. Too risky.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011
        On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        Hi all,

        I'm renewing a call-for-ideas that I made after VCF East 6.0: what can
        we do for VCF East 7.0 in the realm of "special events" beyond the
        exhibits, lectures, consignment, and workshops?

        For example: last time we had the concert, InfoAge tours, Mike L.'s live
        keypunch restoration, and a BASIC programming contest.  All were
        successful except for the programming contest, which was a (mega)flop.

        I hope you're keeping the consignment booth, that was a major hit.
        And I hope you can still arrange another 8bit concert

        here's some;
        - Have the 8bit concert on Sat nite after the dinner - leave the morning for lectures/workshops - besides sat nite is more fun. You could probably sell extra tickets for the concert.
        - Setup an ASCII Art printer booth to sell ASCII pictures, banners.
        - Setup a Punched Card booth, punch a message on a card for a buck
        - Get Ben Heck to put on a vintage/8bit hack demo

        You might to have to start thinking about making this a 3 day event to squeeze in more events.
        The retro/vintage community is there - "If you build it, they will come"
        Just look at the other retro events, they're growing into 3day events.

        Also, maybe just starting a little earlier/staying open later to spread out the time more cause it was very crowded last year.

        How's the list for the special guests coming along - anyone confirmed ?

        =Dan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 25, 2011

          >> I hope you're keeping the consignment booth, that was a major hit.

          Yes.

          >> And I hope you can still arrange another 8bit concert

          Not sure yet. Some of the musicians told me they want to come back, so that's very positive. But it will be difficult to charge for something that was free last time.

          Doing it at night and/or outside involves some Infoage issues (to be determined.)

          >> Setup an ASCII Art printer booth to sell ASCII pictures

          Yup we'll probably do that.

          >> Setup a Punched Card booth, punch a message on a card for a buck

          Need someone to volunteer to do that + all the technical logistics. I recall Mike L. saying our 029 is very close to being ready. Whomever volunteers for this would really have to know how to care for + operate the machine.

          >> Get Ben Heck to put on a vintage/8bit hack demo

          Maybe.

          >> Just look at the other retro events, they're growing into 3day events.

          Such as?

          >> Also, maybe just starting a little earlier/staying open later to spread out the time more cause it was very crowded last year.

          I'm a lot more receptive to that than to a third day.

          >> How's the list for the special guests coming along - anyone confirmed?

          That's thread drift. :) Look for an update on speakers in another couple of weeks.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

            >Hi all,
            >
            >I'm renewing a call-for-ideas that I made after VCF East 6.0: what can
            >we do for VCF East 7.0 in the realm of "special events" beyond the
            >exhibits, lectures, consignment, and workshops?
            >
            >For example: last time we had the concert, InfoAge tours, Mike L.'s live
            >keypunch restoration, and a BASIC programming contest. All were
            >successful except for the programming contest, which was a (mega)flop.

            What BASIC? I've never programmed with BASIC save for what was on my
            Sharp EL-5500 II. Is there even a standard for BASIC today?
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
              On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              >>> Setup a Punched Card booth, punch a message on a card for a buck
              >
              > Need someone to volunteer to do that + all the technical logistics. I
              > recall Mike L. saying our 029 is very close to being ready. Whomever
              > volunteers for this would really have to know how to care for + operate
              > the machine.

              I wouldn't say "very close". When I left it, it would feed, register,
              release and clear, but it doesn't yet punch. I can continue working on it
              after I replace the broken arc suppression card, but don't count on it for
              this year's VCF.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 26, 2011
                On Wednesday, January 26, 2011, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                >>> Just look at the other retro events, they're growing into 3day events.
                >
                > Such as?

                For starters,<just looking at east coast>
                Too Many Games
                VGXPO
                There's others but I'm not at my PC right now

                >>> Also, maybe just starting a little earlier/staying open later to spread out the time more cause it was very crowded last year.
                >
                > I'm a lot more receptive to that than to a third day.

                I guess its safer this way for now.

                >>> How's the list for the special guests coming along - anyone confirmed?
                >
                > That's thread drift.  :)
                <have to make that T-shirt>

              • systems_glitch
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                  >>> Setup an ASCII Art printer booth to sell ASCII pictures
                  >
                  > Yup we'll probably do that.

                  If we do that, and we use a printer capable of handling 14 7/8" pin
                  feed, I have tons of greenbar...don't know if MARCH does or not.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                    systems_glitch <systems.glitch@...> writes:

                    >> Yup we'll probably do that.
                    >
                    >If we do that, and we use a printer capable of handling 14 7/8" pin
                    >feed, I have tons of greenbar...don't know if MARCH does or not.

                    Why not 17"x11"?

                    I have a DEC LeterPrinter (LA210) cabable of printing 17x11 as well as
                    other sizes as the right side tractor is adjustable.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011

                      >>> Yup we'll probably do that.

                      >> If we do that, and we use a printer capable of handling 14 7/8" pin feed, I have tons of greenbar...don't know if MARCH does or not.

                      > Why not 17"x11"? I have a DEC LeterPrinter (LA210) cabable of printing 17x11 as well as other sizes as the right side tractor is adjustable.

                      Thanks, but we're going to keep it simple and use 8.5x11 fanfold. Justin is supplying the printer, and MARCH already has many boxes of paper taking up space that I'd like to make empty. :)
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                        Mr Escape - would you be willing to run, from soup to nuts the ascii photo
                        and printer station, supply the printer materials, and so on?

                        This would be a great thing for you to do, if you'd like to put your
                        knowledge and experience into practical use for the club at VCF.

                        Otherwise, if you're already planning an exhibit or you're not available to
                        help, we have to keep it simple because the staff is already going to be
                        quite busy.

                        Bill Degnan

                        > >> Yup we'll probably do that.
                        > >
                        > >If we do that, and we use a printer capable of handling 14 7/8" pin
                        > >feed, I have tons of greenbar...don't know if MARCH does or not.
                        >
                        > Why not 17"x11"?
                        >
                        > I have a DEC LeterPrinter (LA210) cabable of printing 17x11 as well as
                        > other sizes as the right side tractor is adjustable.

                      • Bob Schwier
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                          Anybody want the box of 14 7/8 by 11?
                          bs

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 28, 2011
                            Speaking of LAN gaming [from that vcforum thread about VCF East]
                            I could bring my C64 network setup if you want to setup a little
                            network gaming table. Just like we did at MakeFaire NYC.

                          • David Gesswein
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 29, 2011
                              On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 08:51:00AM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:

                              > > Need someone to volunteer to do that + all the technical logistics. I
                              > > recall Mike L. saying our 029 is very close to being ready. Whomever
                              > > volunteers for this would really have to know how to care for + operate
                              > > the machine.
                              >
                              > I wouldn't say "very close". When I left it, it would feed, register,
                              > release and clear, but it doesn't yet punch. I can continue working on it
                              > after I replace the broken arc suppression card, but don't count on it for
                              > this year's VCF.

                              If its not ready we can do something similar with the teletype and paper
                              tape. We could let them type in a line of text and punch it in binary ascii
                              and block letters. I had the block letter punching as one of the things
                              I let people do with my exhibit in the past.