FW: Hobbyist DECnet Network - Update

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
      It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear connected to this network (see
      below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then long-term for our museum.)

      David G., are you reading this? :)

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
        I am planning to join the HECnet mailing list to find
        out more about this. I have a couple of machines at
        home running VMS that I have been planning to run
        DECnet on so joining HECnet would be the next step
        after them up and running. I'll let you know if I get
        successfully connected.

        -Dave

        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

        > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear
        > connected to this network (see
        > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then
        > long-term for our museum.)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 17, 2005
          > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear connected to this network (see
          > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then long-term for our museum.)
          >
          > David G., are you reading this? :)

          For 8's only RTS8 has a decnet driver. RTS8 is a real time operating system
          normally used on PDP-8's doing embedded process control.

          I do have one VAX that might be able to do it but haven't done anything
          with that machine. I think it has Ultrix on it. Sound like Dave C. is
          better set up for this.
        • David Comley
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
            I have been working on trying to get this set up.
            There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
            static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
            bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
            less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
            it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
            interested.

            -Dave Comley

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
              David,

              Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
              (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
              addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
              listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
              over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
              be in your back yard.

              I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
              visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
              collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
              suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
              technology of the time.

              Jim

              --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

              > I have been working on trying to get this set up.
              > There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
              > static IP address for one thing, and my choice of
              > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned out to be
              > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once
              > it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
              > interested.
              >
              > -Dave Comley
              >

              > > > It would be awesome if we get some DEC gear
              > > connected to this network (see
              > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then
              > > long-term for our museum.)

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2006
                >>> I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other technology of the time.
                Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on InfoAge's behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers.  It would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file trading allowed.  :)

                Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke (who many of you know from the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out in Munich, Germany ... for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs simultaneously and establishing some of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could webcast the lectures, put cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where attendees can chat with each other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??

                Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra charge. My cable company
                (Charter) has business packages with an option for one or more static
                addresses. I just looked at SBC-Yahoo DSL and static packages are no longer
                listed. I use a local ISP here in Connecticut that offers a static address
                over DSL as standard. Mags Net serves all of CT so "local" does not need to
                be in your back yard.

                I would really like to see several terminals running in our museum for
                visitors to view interactive information about the exhibits and the
                collection. This information would come from a small VAX or something
                suitably vintage. It would be nice if this could demonstrate DECnet and other
                technology of the time.

                Jim

                --- David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:

                > I have been working on trying to get this set up.

                There have been a couple of challenges - getting a
                > static IP address for
                one thing, and my choice of
                > bridging host (a Sparcstation IPX) turned
                out to be
                > less than ideal. But progress is being made and once

                it's up and running I'll share details if anyone's
                > interested.
                >
                > -Dave Comley
                >

                > > > It would be
                awesome if we get some DEC gear
                > > connected to this network
                (see
                > > > below) to demo at VCF next spring (and then

                long-term for our museum.)

                > Do You
                Yahoo!?
                > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection
                around
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • David Comley
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                  For my setup at home, I was very unhappy with
                  Verizon's pricing. Business DSL comes in at around
                  $80/month with a static address and a lot of other
                  stuff I really don't need for playing with DECnet.
                  Comcast weighs in at $99. I called my old ISP in
                  Doylestown and went with a $25 dialup version. In fact
                  I am now looking for a vintage DEC modem so I can run
                  this dialup connection the old fashioned way once it
                  is up. Traffic seems to be quite low volume. If anyone
                  has a lead on a real DEC modem please let me know.
                  They appear on the World's Favorite Auction Site
                  periodically but I've not paid them much attention in
                  the past.

                  What infrastructure is currently available at the
                  museum site ? Is there existing telephone service with
                  inside wiring ?

                  -Dave

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of
                  > Internet access on
                  > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable
                  > and DSL providers. It
                  > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
                  > up a WiFi router, and
                  > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading
                  > allowed. :)
                  >
                  > Better yet, a while ago I spoke with Hans Franke
                  > (who many of you know from
                  > the cctalk list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
                  > in Munich, Germany ...
                  > for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
                  > simultaneously and establishing some
                  > of kind of intercontinental show link! We could
                  > webcast the lectures, put
                  > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks where
                  > attendees can chat with each
                  > other, etc. ... how could would that be!!??
                  >

                  > _____

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Degnan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                    Alright Evan! Thanks for everything.
                    Bill D
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006

                      Not that I know of.  There probably are some old wires and jacks, but I ** highly doubt ** that they still function.  I will inquire.

                      Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > Fred gave me permission to
                      solicit the donation of
                      > Internet access on
                      > InfoAge's
                      behalf.  So I'll contact the local cable
                      > and DSL providers.
                      It
                      > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook
                      > up a WiFi
                      router, and
                      > then go crazy with DECnet!  No porn or file
                      trading
                      > allowed.  :)

                      > Better yet, a while ago
                      I spoke with Hans Franke
                      > (who many of you know from
                      > the cctalk
                      list); Hans runs VCF Europa every May out
                      > in Munich, Germany ...

                      for 2007 we talked about doing our VCFs
                      > simultaneously and establishing
                      some
                      > of kind of intercontinental show link!  We could

                      webcast the lectures, put
                      > cams in the exhibit halls, have kiosks
                      where
                      > attendees can chat with each
                      > other, etc. ... how could
                      would that be!!??

                      _____

                      > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                      > Many ISPs offer a static address at an extra
                      charge.
                      > My cable company
                      > Jim

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2006
                        Evan wrote:

                        > there existing telephone service with inside wiring ?
                        >
                        > Not that I know of. There probably are some old wires and jacks, but
                        > I ** highly doubt ** that they still function. I will inquire.
                        >
                        > Frank O. -- what do you know about InfoAge's phone service plans?

                        I don't know if its still around, or even in the area, but what about ISDN?
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Evan,

                          It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                          Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                          to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                          Jim

                          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          > Fred gave me permission to solicit the donation of Internet access on
                          > InfoAge's behalf. So I'll contact the local cable and DSL providers. It
                          > would be great to get some broadband in there, hook up a WiFi router, and
                          > then go crazy with DECnet! No porn or file trading allowed. :)

                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                            Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > Evan,
                            >
                            > It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                            > Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                            > to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                            Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                              Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                              Jim Scheef wrote:

                              Evan,

                              It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                              Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                              to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).

                              Too new.  There has to be a vintage way of doing it.

                              We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications, but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                              Joe
                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006
                                Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                >
                                >>Jim Scheef wrote:
                                >>

                                >>>Evan,
                                >>>
                                >>>It would be too embarassing to show my face at VCF if we don't have an active
                                >>>Wi-Fi connection available for exhibitors and attendees. Somehow, we have got
                                >>>to make this happen (along with all the other stuff, of course).
                                >>>

                                >>Too new. There has to be a vintage way of doing it.
                                >>

                                > We probably could use an older means, such as microwave communications,
                                > but it would probably give everyone cancer.Could we make use of that old
                                > parabolic antenna dish in some way? ;-)

                                I was thinking more along the lines of AX.25 or something. But
                                preferably something unlicensed.

                                Peace... Sridhar
                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 24, 2006