Re: [midatlanticretro] Do you folks watch Craigslist?

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2011
      2011 is turning into the year of a new type of Internet problem -
      information hoarders and spam timebombs. People who join message boards
      (like vintage-computer.com) and facebook, and use craigslist.com to
      generate email lists.

      One trick I have noticed on vintage-computer.com - Sign up for the message
      board with no spam or hint that you are a spammer. Then reply to the most
      popular posts with things like "very interesting" or "wow, thanks!" until
      you get 20 or so posts under your belt. THEN change your signature to
      include links to your off-topic web site. Very tricky, now you have your
      link on a popular topic to a targeted group that will be picked up by the
      search engines. The message board can't remove the posts easily because
      they're usually run with volunteers ...

      I predict that this tactic will bring down messageboards who don't get
      stricter with post signatures.

      Bill Degnan