Computer question for those with Army experience

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011
      Okay, MARCHins who've been in the Army .....

      What do "RDP" and "sticks" mean in the context used here?
      http://themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/FADAC.htm

      Someone please enlighten me.
    • Sills Raymond
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011
        On Jan 16, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Okay, MARCHins who've been in the Army .....
        >
        > What do "RDP" and "sticks" mean in the context used here?
        > http://themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/FADAC.htm
        >
        > Someone please enlighten me.

        Can't say for sure, but I'd wager the "sticks" has something to do
        with slide rules... in light of the military context of predicting
        projectile paths. Maybe the RDP was a similar aid.

        73 de Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011
          >> Okay, MARCHins who've been in the Army .....
          >>
          >> What do "RDP" and "sticks" mean in the context used here?
          >> http://themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/FADAC.htm
          >>
          >> Someone please enlighten me.
          > Can't say for sure, but I'd wager the "sticks" has something to do with slide rules

          Ah -- short for "slipstick" -- a popular nickname for sliderules. Good
          call.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011
            On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Okay, MARCHins who've been in the Army .....
            >
            > What do "RDP" and "sticks" mean in the context used here?
            > http://themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/FADAC.htm
            >
            > Someone please enlighten me.

            RDP = Range Deflection Protractor
            "sticks" = specialized slide rule

            See this thread:

            http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38393

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011

              >> RDP = Range Deflection Protractor

              Thanks!
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2011
                On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                Okay, MARCHins who've been in the Army .....

                What do "RDP" and "sticks" mean in the context used here?
                http://themightyninth.org/War%20Stories/FADAC.htm

                Someone please enlighten me.

                RDP = Range Deflection Protractor
                One of the measuring tools used to help the artillery battery calculate the firing trajectory

                "Sticks"  = ?
                must be grunt slang - normally not found in the field manuals
                could be a reference to one the other various measuring tools used here besides the RDP.

                =Dan
                USAF