TI minicomputer f/s

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2011
      Gentlemen --

      Got an email just now about someone in Flanders, New Jersey who is
      looking to sell a TI Business Systems 600 minicomputer. He says it's
      from the early 1980s and in good condition along with manuals, printers,
      software, and (oh the irony) a CDC hard drive.

      Seller is Wayne Verderber. His email address is ads2@... and
      work phone is 973-584-5578. He says it is one large rack plus the
      peripherals, etc., so you'd probably need a large van/SUV or a small truck.

      He asked me what it's worth, but I didn't know TI ever made
      minicomputers! He wants to move this by early February.

      Additional details: "TI Business Systems 600 minicomputer, system model
      number 2600-1271, which runs the DX10 Operating System, purchased in the
      early 1980s. I believe that all the hardware components and software
      are intact. We also have eight 10x boards we would like to sell."

      Wayne contacted Al Kossow (of bitsavers fame) who works at the CHM in
      California; Al thought of us and forwarded the message.

      Have at it.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2011
        > Gentlemen --
        >
        > Got an email just now about someone in Flanders, New Jersey who is looking to sell a TI Business Systems 600 minicomputer. He says it's from the early 1980s and in good condition along with manuals, printers, software, and (oh the irony) a CDC hard drive.

        PS - Al says the CHM is interested in copies of the some of the manuals
        and maybe a board or two, but that he agrees it makes sense someone out
        here to rescue the whole lot and do triage later.
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2011
          > Got an email just now about someone in Flanders, New Jersey who is
          > looking to sell a TI Business Systems 600 minicomputer. He says it's
          > from the early 1980s and in good condition along with manuals, printers,
          > software, and (oh the irony) a CDC hard drive.
          This is very close to me. If anyone needs help let me know. I'll try to pitch in.

          Kelly
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
            More important questions are:
            o - What does HE THINK it's worth?
            o - Is it complete with disk drives, etc. so that it can be restored to
            working condition?

            I cannot find any direct references to any TI minicomputers (even in
            Wikipedia) but there are many references to a processor family TI sold
            in the 1970's. This thing could be incredibly rare or not. Kelly, if
            this is close, it might be worth a trip just to get a better idea what
            it is.

            Jim

            On 1/10/2011 4:05 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
            > > Got an email just now about someone in Flanders, New Jersey who is
            > > looking to sell a TI Business Systems 600 minicomputer. He says it's
            > > from the early 1980s and in good condition along with manuals, printers,
            > > software, and (oh the irony) a CDC hard drive.
            > This is very close to me. If anyone needs help let me know. I'll try to
            > pitch in.
            >
            > Kelly
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
              The 600 series lead to the professional AT-type systems they produced
              before they gave up the market. The AT-ish systems were almost IBM
              compatible, but they retained their ability to read media from the 600
              series. I am certain that there is technology in a TI 600 that will be a
              dead end but still interesting. Worth something? No. Cool to explore,
              yes. Personally I would only accept if the person were willing to drop off
              at my office. But maybe someone would be willing to pay $100/200. It
              would be large, filling a stationwagon.

              Bill Degnan

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                Bill,

                So this is a PC, not a minicomputer? Are you saying that this was a
                refrigerator-sized TI-Professional PC? The TI-Professional was an
                8086-based PC that competed with the IBM PC in the days before complete
                "IBM compatibility" became a requirement. Like many "DOS incompatibles",
                the TI-Pro had superior graphics and was faster than the IBM but offered
                only limited software.

                From what I found on Wikipedia, TI minicomputers used the 990-series
                processor which had it's own instruction set and was not
                8086-compatible. Was the processor in the TI 99/4 a derivative of the TI
                minicomputer processor? Another possibility: could the use of the word
                "minicomputer" versus "microcomputer" be a part of understanding this
                system?

                Jim

                On 1/17/2011 1:46 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
                > The 600 series lead to the professional AT-type systems they produced
                > before they gave up the market. The AT-ish systems were almost IBM
                > compatible, but they retained their ability to read media from the 600
                > series. I am certain that there is technology in a TI 600 that will be a
                > dead end but still interesting. Worth something? No. Cool to explore,
                > yes. Personally I would only accept if the person were willing to drop off
                > at my office. But maybe someone would be willing to pay $100/200. It
                > would be large, filling a stationwagon.
                >
                > Bill Degnan

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                  In the early 1980's any computer that could handle 12-16 simultaneous users
                  was a "minicomputer", but otherwise it was a 16-bit system for data
                  processing, right? I have only read about the 600 series indirectly, from
                  the TI Professional / 250 series literature.

                  If anyone does get the 600, I will talk to the U of Delaware about getting
                  their newer 250 out of the storage room. You'd need that to read disks to
                  a modern archive storage.

                  600 format --> TI Professional bridge --> modern PC format

                  Bill Degnan

                  > So this is a PC, not a minicomputer? Are you saying that this was a
                  > refrigerator-sized TI-Professional PC? The TI-Professional was an
                  > 8086-based PC that competed with the IBM PC in the days before complete
                  > "IBM compatibility" became a requirement. Like many "DOS incompatibles",

                  > the TI-Pro had superior graphics and was faster than the IBM but offered

                  > only limited software.
                  >
                  > From what I found on Wikipedia, TI minicomputers used the 990-series
                  > processor which had it's own instruction set and was not
                  > 8086-compatible. Was the processor in the TI 99/4 a derivative of the TI

                  > minicomputer processor? Another possibility: could the use of the word
                  > "minicomputer" versus "microcomputer" be a part of understanding this
                  > system?
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > On 1/17/2011 1:46 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
                  > > The 600 series lead to the professional AT-type systems they produced
                  > > before they gave up the market. The AT-ish systems were almost IBM
                  > > compatible, but they retained their ability to read media from the 600
                  > > series. I am certain that there is technology in a TI 600 that will be
                  > > dead end but still interesting. Worth something? No. Cool to explore,
                  > > yes. Personally I would only accept if the person were willing to drop
                  off
                  > > at my office. But maybe someone would be willing to pay $100/200. It
                  > > would be large, filling a stationwagon.
                  > >
                  > > Bill Degnan

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                    On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:

                    > In the early 1980's any computer that could handle 12-16 simultaneous users
                    > was a "minicomputer", but otherwise it was a 16-bit system for data
                    > processing, right? I have only read about the 600 series indirectly, from
                    > the TI Professional / 250 series literature.
                    >
                    > If anyone does get the 600, I will talk to the U of Delaware about getting
                    > their newer 250 out of the storage room. You'd need that to read disks to
                    > a modern archive storage.
                    >
                    > 600 format --> TI Professional bridge --> modern PC format

                    I found an article in the 1982 issue of "Computer" magazine, in the New
                    Products section about the 600 series. Here's an image of the relevant
                    section:

                    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/BusinessSystem600.jpg

                    The 600 series is based on the TMS99000 microprocessor as used on the
                    990/10A single-board CPU.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                      MARCH has a similar system floating around someplace. Not sure of the
                      brand, but it's a Z80 mini like the TI 600

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                        You're probably thinking of our Zilog Z-8000.

                        > MARCH has a similar system floating around someplace. Not sure of the
                        > brand, but it's a Z80 mini like the TI 600
                        >
                        > Bill Degnan\
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 17, 2011
                          that would be it

                          Bill Degnan

                          > You're probably thinking of our Zilog Z-8000.
                          >
                          > > MARCH has a similar system floating around someplace. Not sure of the
                          > > brand, but it's a Z80 mini like the TI 600
                          > >
                          > > Bill Degnan\

                        • Kelly D. Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 19, 2011
                            On 1/17/2011 Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > Kelly, if this is close, it might be worth a trip just to get a better idea what

                            I have contacted the owner by email. The unit is still available. I am trying to arrange a phone call after hours to discuss perceived value. More when I know more.

                            This is a fairly unique piece of 1980's hardware.

                            Kelly