Re: [midatlanticretro] Updates re: minis, museum

  • c f
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2011
      Interesting - I'll be eagerly awaiting your results on Sunday. If we have a disk drive, we might be able to have a Cray-1 to hook up to the eclipse =)

      On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      Just got home and I am EXHAUSTED.

      Justin and I met up at 1:00 today at the home of David K. (the person
      selling that lot of minicomputers on ebay). We three staged everything
      for the big move up his stairs. John, who was the buyer, arrived around
      2:00 with his uncle. We all kept working and finally finished moving it
      all our of David's basement and into John's rental truck and Justin's
      SUV by 6:30.

      John's primary interest was the DEC minis, and so he donated to MARCH:
      - DG Eclipse S/130
      - Several PC-based IBM S/36 boxes
      - HP-3000
      - SPARCstation
      - Many terminals
      - Various disks, manuals, tapes, etc

      Moving the Eclipse rack was especially fun .... because I stayed out of
      the way. :)

      Justin can fill in the details of all this. My brain is full.

      Museum-wise, I got about five minutes away from David's house and then
      decided I was too tired to go to a meeting tonight. Came home instead.
      So, for you Chris F., I will check on our CDC hard drive this Sunday.

      Also, last Sunday was very good at InfoAge, according to Jeff B. who
      staffed our exhibits for the first half of the day. He reported:

      >>> We got a semi-steady stream of visitors who were visiting the
      trains. Mostly casual type visitors. Some more interested than others. A
      total of about 20-30 .... One guy wants to donate a Kaypro ..... Another
      guy wants to donate a Heathkit 8

      Haven't heard from Jeff J. about how the second half of the day went.

      That's all for now from the home office ..... !

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2011
        Justin and John are both of the opinion that the Eclipse needs a lot of work to make it run again.

        Interesting - I'll be eagerly awaiting your results on Sunday. If we have a disk drive, we might be able to have a Cray-1 to hook up to the eclipse =)

        On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        Just got home and I am EXHAUSTED.

      • Justin Jernigan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2011

          > Moving the Eclipse rack was especially fun .... because I stayed out of
          > the way. :)
          >
          > Justin can fill in the details of all this. My brain is full.

          We had to take the drive drawer out of the rack to move the Eclipse, but we were able to do so without any major damage (well one small clip may have been bent). The label on the drive shelf said 'Warning, weight 120 lbs.". I have moved alot of heavy/bulky stuff in my days, but this was by far the heaviest I have moved without use of a forklift or Escalera. We tried it with the drives in, but that was a no go -- we couldn't keep the momentum to get it more than 3 stairs.

          I actually unloaded the Eclipse (and everything from the second trip) from my Suburban by myself. The only thing I couldn't manage to unload was one SUN box -- it was just too heavy, maybe I am just tired. Anyway, I'm sure I will be bringing them down to InfoAge over the next few weeks. I will work with Evan on the details, we will probably need some volunteers to help unload some of the items.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2011
            Good news.

            Bill "formatting disks in the Xerox 820" Degnan

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
              Any update on the CDC drive?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                4:10pm - going to look right now.

                From: c f <christopher.h.fenton@...>
                Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:31:58 -0500
                To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Updates re: minis, museum

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                  Can't find it. Will continue to keep an eye out.

                  From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:10:05 +0000
                  To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  4:10pm - going to look right now.

                  From: c f <christopher.h.fenton@...>
                  Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:31:58 -0500
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                    PS - I think Dan may have been mistaken. We have some similar drives, but I don't remember ever seeing a CDC label on anything in the club's collection.

                    From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                    Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:18:41 +0000
                    To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                    Can't find it. Will continue to keep an eye out.

                    From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                    Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:10:05 +0000
                    To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                    4:10pm - going to look right now.

                    From: c f <christopher.h.fenton@...>
                    Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:31:58 -0500
                    To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                      Darn! I am beginning to think it may be easier to build my own disk reader. Anyone have an idea for where I can get a magnetic read-head that can sense data tracks that are 2 mils wide?

                      I could probably actually build the positioning / ADC part of it, and I don't need to read the data off quickly. Hmm. . .

                      -Chris

                      From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                      Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:18:41 +0000
                      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                      Can't find it. Will continue to keep an eye out.

                      From: "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                      Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:10:05 +0000
                      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                      4:10pm - going to look right now.

                      Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:31:58 -0500

                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011

                        Isn't there a way to force a "standard" and more amenable and generally
                        useful charset on this list?

                        ISO-8859-1 or utf-8???