Re: [midatlanticretro] Can anyone read a CDC 9877 disk pack?

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
      Dunno, might have a better clue on Wednesday.  Top posters unite! J/K

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      Oh, possibly! Any idea if it's 1) in working condition, and 2) comes with any removable disk drives?

      No clue.  Justin?

      PS - We encourage bottom-posting here.   :)

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
        On Monday, January 3, 2011, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        >> We might acquire an Eclipse S/140 this week.  Would that fit your needs?
        >
        > PS - I will know by Wednesday afternoon if we're getting it.

        I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very
        well be a 80Mb drive,. But it'll only help if there's disk controller
        card in the Eclipse

        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
          >>> We might acquire an Eclipse S/140 this week. Would that fit your needs?
          >> PS - I will know by Wednesday afternoon if we're getting it.
          > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

          Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
          identify. What does it look like?
        • c f
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
            On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            >>> We might acquire an Eclipse S/140 this week. Would that fit your needs?
            >> PS - I will know by Wednesday afternoon if we're getting it.
            > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

            Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
            identify. What does it look like?

            http://decpicted.blogspot.com/2010/05/cdc-9762-disk-drive.html

            I wonder how hard it would be to just build a controller for it? It can't be that complicated.
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011

              > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

              Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
              identify. What does it look like?
              http://decpicted.blogspot.com/2010/05/cdc-9762-disk-drive.html

              Oh, that.

              One of several big heavy things we need to move upstairs and then into the new museum area.
            • c f
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

                Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
                identify. What does it look like?
                http://decpicted.blogspot.com/2010/05/cdc-9762-disk-drive.html

                Oh, that.

                One of several big heavy things we need to move upstairs and then into the new museum area.

                Hmm, would someone be able to check on wednesday if you all actually have one of those drives?
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                  On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:

                  On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  >>> We might acquire an Eclipse S/140 this week. Would that fit your needs?
                  >> PS - I will know by Wednesday afternoon if we're getting it.
                  > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

                  Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
                  identify. What does it look like?

                  http://decpicted.blogspot.com/2010/05/cdc-9762-disk-drive.html

                  yep, thats the one in the basement - I just cant remember the model# - it could be a 40MB, but maybe you're lucky.

                  I wonder how hard it would be to just build a controller for it? It can't be that complicated.

                  It wasn't that hard, we built them using very simple bit-slice processors, and later with Z80's, when these were still popular. But it helps to have the manual :)

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011

                    > I remember seeing a CDC drive in the Hotel basement - it might very well be a 80Mb drive

                    Oh? It must be one of the (many) items down there that I can't
                    identify. What does it look like?
                    http://decpicted.blogspot.com/2010/05/cdc-9762-disk-drive.html

                    Oh, that.

                    One of several big heavy things we need to move upstairs and then into the new museum area.

                    Hmm, would someone be able to check on wednesday if you all actually have one of those drives?

                    Yes.  I'm going there in the late afternoon / early evening after Justin and I participate in a local rescue (where we might get the Eclipse.)
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011

                      I wonder how hard it would be to just build a controller for it? It can't be that complicated.

                      It wasn't that hard, we built them using very simple bit-slice processors, and later with Z80's, when these were still popular. But it helps to have the manual :)

                      Anything here help you?
                      http://bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011

                        On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                        I wonder how hard it would be to just build a controller for it? It can't be that complicated.

                        It wasn't that hard, we built them using very simple bit-slice processors, and later with Z80's, when these were still popular. But it helps to have the manual :)

                        Anything here help you?
                        http://bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/

                        yep,
                        these are in /smd

                        This one is the maintenance manual, with test procedures, handy for getting this cleaned up and running properly
                        http://bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/smd/83322150AR_BK4xx_BK5xx_9760_9762_Vo1_Jan85.pdf

                        this one has schematics, interface.
                        http://bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/smd/83322240AA_BK4xx_BK5xx_9760_9762_Vo2_85.pdf

                        But the important one, 83322240, with Theory of Operation, is not in there

                        The other issue about building a controller is that you need to make it software compatible with the Eclipse IO protocol - described in their manuals. I'm sure they are using a I/O command list for all DMA transfers. It's not a trivial step as you need to be acquainted with the details the Eclipse system bus operation also - but it can be done. Although you might find a disk controller in a shorter amount of time. Even if it doesn't work, they are usually easy to fix.

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                          But the important one, 83322240, with Theory of Operation, is not in there

                          <EDIT>

                          ---> 83322200

                          =Dan

                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                            It's not.
                            Bill Degnan

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                              > It's not.
                              > Bill Degnan

                              Please elaborate.
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                                At 11:18 PM 1/3/2011, you wrote:

                                > > It's not.
                                > > Bill Degnan
                                >
                                >Please elaborate.

                                Please resend the list of items so I can confirm, but from my
                                recollection of the list most of the items for sale we're talking
                                newer Digital stuff - Rainbow/VAX era of Digital. The CDC 9877 disk
                                pack and associated system would have been from the 70's.

                                http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/brochures/ProductLine_May73.pdf

                                bd
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  >>> It's not.
                                  >>> Bill Degnan
                                  >> Please elaborate.
                                  > Please resend the list of items so I can confirm, but from my recollection of the list most of the items for sale we're talking newer Digital stuff - Rainbow/VAX era of Digital. The CDC 9877 disk pack and associated system would have been from the 70's.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/brochures/ProductLine_May73.pdf
                                  DEC? No, we're talking about a Data General Eclipse S/130, circa 1977:
                                  http://tinyurl.com/25fzljv
                                • Mr Ian Primus
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011

                                    > > http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/brochures/ProductLine_May73.pdf
                                    > DEC? No, we're talking about a Data General Eclipse
                                    > S/130, circa 1977:
                                    > http://tinyurl.com/25fzljv

                                    The host computer is irrelevant. What you *need* is the disk drive. These CDC drives have a standard SMD interface (usually). You'd probably want to be using a machine that'll have some other means of communication with the outside world, like a Vax or something, so you can get the data off the pack and onto other media. And if you're trying to archive data from an important pack, you don't want to go tossing it into an unknown drive. These disk drives are fragile, and require a lot of service.

                                    I have a few 300mb CDC drives - let me tell you, there is no way a drive that's just been sitting for 20 years is going to fire up and read a pack without crashing. This is a hard drive we're talking about - the inside of the drive where the pack goes needs to be immaculate - no dust, hairs or particles. Any junk in there will surely cause a head crash.

                                    To make matters worse, in the their infinite wisdom, Control Data used that sound-deadening foam, you know, the stuff that turns to crumbly crud? It's lining the entire inside of the cabinet - but even worse, it's inside the cover that goes over the head stack. The entire drive will need to be cleaned, and all that foam removed, before it's going to operate reliably.

                                    Granted, my experience is with the 300mb drives - the 80 meg drives might be different, I don't have one to compare. But the general procedure for resurrecting one is:

                                    -Clean drive, remove foam, clean, clean, clean.
                                    -Replace filters - while you've got them out, clean all the air circulation ducting.
                                    -Power up the drive and let it run for 24 hours to "purge" - the air circulation runs, and any loose stuff gets caught by the filters.
                                    -Put a scratch pack in, start it spinning, and let it spin for a good long while - hours - you want to purge the crud off the pack too
                                    -cross your fingers and hit the head load switch.

                                    And, powering the drive is going to be a problem too - the 300mb drives at least require 220v.

                                    -Ian
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                      > The host computer is irrelevant. What you *need* is the disk drive. These CDC drives have a standard SMD interface (usually). You'd probably want to be using a machine that'll have some other means of communication with the outside world, like a Vax or something, so you can get the data off the pack and onto other media. And if you're trying to archive data from an important pack, you don't want to go tossing it into an unknown drive. These disk drives are fragile, and require a lot of service.
                                      >
                                      > I have a few 300mb CDC drives - let me tell you, there is no way a drive that's just been sitting for 20 years is going to fire up and read a pack without crashing. This is a hard drive we're talking about - the inside of the drive where the pack goes needs to be immaculate - no dust, hairs or particles. Any junk in there will surely cause a head crash.
                                      >
                                      > To make matters worse, in the their infinite wisdom, Control Data used that sound-deadening foam, you know, the stuff that turns to crumbly crud? It's lining the entire inside of the cabinet - but even worse, it's inside the cover that goes over the head stack. The entire drive will need to be cleaned, and all that foam removed, before it's going to operate reliably.
                                      >
                                      > Granted, my experience is with the 300mb drives - the 80 meg drives might be different, I don't have one to compare. But the general procedure for resurrecting one is:
                                      >
                                      > -Clean drive, remove foam, clean, clean, clean.
                                      > -Replace filters - while you've got them out, clean all the air circulation ducting.
                                      > -Power up the drive and let it run for 24 hours to "purge" - the air circulation runs, and any loose stuff gets caught by the filters.
                                      > -Put a scratch pack in, start it spinning, and let it spin for a good long while - hours - you want to purge the crud off the pack too
                                      > -cross your fingers and hit the head load switch.

                                      It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to function. He turned
                                      "old" yesterday.

                                      Happy b-day, Mike! :-)
                                    • Mike Loewen
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                        On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                        > It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to function. He turned
                                        > "old" yesterday.
                                        >
                                        > Happy b-day, Mike! :-)

                                        Eh? Speak up!!

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      • Mr Ian Primus
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011

                                          > > -Clean drive, remove foam, clean, clean, clean.
                                          > > -Replace filters - while you've got them out, clean
                                          > all the air circulation ducting.
                                          > > -Power up the drive and let it run for 24 hours to
                                          > "purge" - the air circulation runs, and any loose stuff gets
                                          > caught by the filters.
                                          > > -Put a scratch pack in, start it spinning, and let it
                                          > spin for a good long while - hours - you want to purge the
                                          > crud off the pack too
                                          > > -cross your fingers and hit the head load switch.
                                          >
                                          > It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to
                                          > function. He turned
                                          > "old" yesterday.
                                          >
                                          > Happy b-day, Mike! :-)

                                          Does that mean he's on-topic?

                                          -Ian
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                            >> It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to function. He turned "old" yesterday.
                                            >>
                                            >> Happy b-day, Mike! :-)
                                            > Eh? Speak up!!

                                            I SAID YOU'RE YOUNG AND HANDSOME.

                                            (now go back to drooling in your rocking chair)
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                              At 08:52 AM 1/4/2011, you wrote:

                                              > >> It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to function. He
                                              > turned "old" yesterday.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Happy b-day, Mike! :-)
                                              > > Eh? Speak up!!
                                              >
                                              >I SAID YOU'RE YOUNG AND HANDSOME.
                                              >
                                              >(now go back to drooling in your rocking chair)

                                              Happy birthday Mike.

                                              Bill (and Joey)
                                            • Gene Buckle
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                                On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                                > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> It's a similar process for getting Mike Loewen to function. He turned
                                                >> "old" yesterday.
                                                >>
                                                >> Happy b-day, Mike! :-)
                                                >
                                                > Eh? Speak up!!

                                                Press the "head load" switch Mike. That should help. :D

                                                g.

                                                --
                                                Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

                                                by the clean end.
                                              • Dan Roganti
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                                  On Tuesday, January 4, 2011, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                                  >> turned "old" yesterday.

                                                  >> >      Eh?  Speak up!!
                                                  >>
                                                  >>I SAID YOU'RE YOUNG AND HANDSOME.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>(now go back to drooling in your rocking chair)
                                                  >

                                                  > Happy birthday Mike.

                                                  And he would rather be pushing a cardpunch than a walking stroller any
                                                  day of the week :)

                                                  Happy Birthday Mike !

                                                  =Dan

                                                • Barry L. Kline
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 4, 2011
                                                    On 01/04/2011 08:51 AM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

                                                    > Does that mean he's on-topic?

                                                    Well, he's classic anyway.

                                                    Barry
                                                  • c f
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 8, 2011
                                                      Hi all,
                                                       This is primarily directed at Ian, but just in case anyone else can help to:

                                                             So I actually acquired a 9762 disk drive (one of the super early models apparently - the install date on it is 6/7/1976!). I cleaned up all of the foam stuff (you were right, that stuff is a mess!) and pretty thoroughly cleaned out the drive. I also cleaned the filters and things, and then let it run for a while, just to make sure that no dust or anything was getting into the drive cavity.

                                                      My drive unfortunately had a short on one of the logic cards on the +20V rail, but I was able to swap it out for another identical card, and then the fault light went away.

                                                      I also have a TB-216 tester, which I'm attempting to use to test the drive with (the actual drive only has two buttons on the front of it - 'start' and 'fault clear', as well as corresponding LEDs for those two, and then a third 'ready' LED). I have the tester cabled to the drive, as well as a terminator plug thing on the empty port on the drive, but I can't actually get the tester to recognize the drive. So, a few questions:

                                                      1. Any reasonable strategies for debugging what appears to be a problem with the unit-select hardware? Also, there are some options for selecting different 'flavors' of the 9762 (NRZ or MFM, standard or 'mux' cables, index/sector on A or B cables) . . . any idea how I can tell which drive I have?

                                                      2. Do you happen to know of any sources of documentation for these types of drives other than bitsavers.org? The documentation up on there is actually for later models of the 9762 which has completely different electronics.

                                                      Any advice/help would be welcome.

                                                      -Chris