Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF E 7 Exhibitor Details PRELIMINARY

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
      On Monday, January 3, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:
      >
      >> We may need a pistol start!
      >
      >    Would an exploding tantalum cap do?

      Think big !
      One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up
      Evan gets to press the switch :)

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
        >>> We may need a pistol start!
        >> Would an exploding tantalum cap do?
        > Think big !
        > One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up Evan gets to press the switch :)

        Thanks. Do I also get to aim it anyone I want?
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
          What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?

          Regard,
          Mike Willegal

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
            Each exhibitor gets a six-foot rectangular table, basic 110V power, one
            VCF t-shirt, and one guest pass (for you to bring a friend, etc.) The
            booth dimensions vary based on which room(s) at InfoAge we use for the
            show; how many exhibitors we have to squeeze into the space; and various
            nooks/crannies that make some booths slightly smaller/larger than
            others. Having said that, a typical booth is approximately eight ft.
            wide and six ft. deep.

            Exhibitors can also opt for larger booths at a higher price. Exhibitors
            can also opt for special power drops, which we'll try our best to
            provide for free, but we may need to charge for that depending on
            what/where/etc.

            > What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?
            >
            > Regard,
            > Mike Willegal
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
              May I add ...

              If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.

              Bill Degnan

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                Frank, that's not correct.  There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.  Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of course) to install some circuits for us.  As for this year, we're looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                PS - to all MARCHins -- Martin is someone whose name you'll be hearing more of regarding InfoAge.  He is an InfoAge volunteer who has gobs of professional experience in managing enterprise-class telecom and power infrastructure.  So far, for VCF, he sent me this message:

                "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase input,  twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs).  That enough juice for your gear?"

                Hey Gents;

                Just curious - what kind of "special power" are you thinking of? We certainly can't offer anything like 208V, 3-phase, 20 amp or anything like that. I don't believe that the buildings are wired for that.

                You might also want to consider a maximum current draw - If I remember correctly, we were popping breakers the last time because of all the exhibits. To preclude this, An example might be imposing a 120V, 5Amp limit, or some such. I'm pretty sure we have access to such a meter to enforce this.

                All the best,

                Frank

              • Mr Ian Primus
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                  > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                  > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of
                  > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                  > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                  > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                  If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At least, it didn't then.

                  An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                  -Ian
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Another note about VCF -- we don't know yet which building(s) we'll be in.
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                      We're working on it.

                      Bill Degnan

                      > > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                      > > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission
                      of
                      > > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                      > > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                      > > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)
                      >
                      > If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then
                      I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At
                      least, it didn't then.

                      > An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we
                      don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                      > -Ian

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                        On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                        > "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase
                        > input, twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs). That enough juice for
                        > your gear?"

                        That may be enough for Dave Gesswein, but what about the rest of us?
                        :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                          how about 20 AMPS at 48 volts DC

                          Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                          I worked for a place that powered a "sea of cubes" with a fifteen AMP circuit that left the wall in my cube. One day the outlet caught on fire. The electrician who repaired it told me the fifteen AMP circuit was wired to a 50 AMP breaker!

                          Regards,
                          Mike W.

                          > May I add ...
                          >
                          > If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.
                          >
                          > Bill Degnan

                        • Mr Ian Primus
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                            --- On Tue, 1/11/11, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

                            > Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I
                            > have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power
                            > for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                            I wouldn't forsee any problems with microcomputers. The only people that have had problems with power are those of us that have attempted to exhibit minicomputers. My Prime system needed 120v/20A, and was thus a big issue last time. Dave's PDP-8 system kept blowing breakers as well.

                            This year I've resolved to exhibit something smaller, less power hungry, and less likely to blow up in the event of power problems...

                            -Ian