Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF E 7 Exhibitor Details PRELIMINARY

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
      --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...> wrote:

      On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > > There is a new award category - First to Smoke - First computer to
      > > go up in smoke or otherwise cook itself will win this prize.
      >
      > Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?

      That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the machine's fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e., it didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical socket" to the list, then, yeah.

      I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total loss though.

      -Ian
    • Bruce Freeman
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
        Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was first powered up.  Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so it could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.

        --
        Bruce
        NJ
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
          Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
            Disqualified if it's done on purpose. :)

            Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

            > Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a
            > "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was first
            > powered up. Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so it
            > could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.
            >
            > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...<awmolloy%40landsnail.com>>
            > > wrote:

            > > > Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?
            > > >

            > > That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the machine's
            > > fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e., it
            > > didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical socket"
            > > to the list, then, yeah.
            > >
            > > I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total loss
            > > though.
            > >
            > > -Ian
            > >

            > --
            > Bruce
            > NJ

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011

              But how would you be able to tell ;)
              We have our ways -hehe

              Maybe an alternate category;
              The computer to last the longest before smoking :)

              On Jan 3, 2011 5:56 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

              Disqualified if it's done on purpose.  :)

                > Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up
                with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's
                wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...>
                wrote:

                > > Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a
                > > "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was
                first
                > > powered up. Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so
                it
                > > could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.
                > >
                > > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy
                <awmolloy@...<awmolloy%40landsnail.com>>
                > > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan
                <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                > > > That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the
                machine's
                > > > fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e.,
                it
                > > > didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical
                socket"
                > > > to the list, then, yeah.
                > > >
                > > > I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total
                loss
                > > > though.
                > > >
                > > > -Ian
                > > >

                > > --
                > > Bruce
                > > NJ

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                  On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:

                  > We may need a pistol start!

                  Would an exploding tantalum cap do?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                    On Monday, January 3, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:
                    >
                    >> We may need a pistol start!
                    >
                    >    Would an exploding tantalum cap do?

                    Think big !
                    One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up
                    Evan gets to press the switch :)

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                      >>> We may need a pistol start!
                      >> Would an exploding tantalum cap do?
                      > Think big !
                      > One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up Evan gets to press the switch :)

                      Thanks. Do I also get to aim it anyone I want?
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                        What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?

                        Regard,
                        Mike Willegal

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                          Each exhibitor gets a six-foot rectangular table, basic 110V power, one
                          VCF t-shirt, and one guest pass (for you to bring a friend, etc.) The
                          booth dimensions vary based on which room(s) at InfoAge we use for the
                          show; how many exhibitors we have to squeeze into the space; and various
                          nooks/crannies that make some booths slightly smaller/larger than
                          others. Having said that, a typical booth is approximately eight ft.
                          wide and six ft. deep.

                          Exhibitors can also opt for larger booths at a higher price. Exhibitors
                          can also opt for special power drops, which we'll try our best to
                          provide for free, but we may need to charge for that depending on
                          what/where/etc.

                          > What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?
                          >
                          > Regard,
                          > Mike Willegal
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                            May I add ...

                            If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.

                            Bill Degnan

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                              Frank, that's not correct.  There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.  Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of course) to install some circuits for us.  As for this year, we're looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                              PS - to all MARCHins -- Martin is someone whose name you'll be hearing more of regarding InfoAge.  He is an InfoAge volunteer who has gobs of professional experience in managing enterprise-class telecom and power infrastructure.  So far, for VCF, he sent me this message:

                              "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase input,  twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs).  That enough juice for your gear?"

                              Hey Gents;

                              Just curious - what kind of "special power" are you thinking of? We certainly can't offer anything like 208V, 3-phase, 20 amp or anything like that. I don't believe that the buildings are wired for that.

                              You might also want to consider a maximum current draw - If I remember correctly, we were popping breakers the last time because of all the exhibits. To preclude this, An example might be imposing a 120V, 5Amp limit, or some such. I'm pretty sure we have access to such a meter to enforce this.

                              All the best,

                              Frank

                            • Mr Ian Primus
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                                > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of
                                > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                                > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                                > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                                If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At least, it didn't then.

                                An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                                -Ian
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                  Another note about VCF -- we don't know yet which building(s) we'll be in.
                                • Bill Degnan
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                    We're working on it.

                                    Bill Degnan

                                    > > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                                    > > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission
                                    of
                                    > > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                                    > > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                                    > > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)
                                    >
                                    > If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then
                                    I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At
                                    least, it didn't then.

                                    > An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we
                                    don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                                    > -Ian

                                  • Mike Loewen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                      On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                      > "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase
                                      > input, twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs). That enough juice for
                                      > your gear?"

                                      That may be enough for Dave Gesswein, but what about the rest of us?
                                      :-)

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    • Mike
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                        how about 20 AMPS at 48 volts DC

                                        Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                                        I worked for a place that powered a "sea of cubes" with a fifteen AMP circuit that left the wall in my cube. One day the outlet caught on fire. The electrician who repaired it told me the fifteen AMP circuit was wired to a 50 AMP breaker!

                                        Regards,
                                        Mike W.

                                        > May I add ...
                                        >
                                        > If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.
                                        >
                                        > Bill Degnan

                                      • Mr Ian Primus
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                          --- On Tue, 1/11/11, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

                                          > Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I
                                          > have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power
                                          > for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                                          I wouldn't forsee any problems with microcomputers. The only people that have had problems with power are those of us that have attempted to exhibit minicomputers. My Prime system needed 120v/20A, and was thus a big issue last time. Dave's PDP-8 system kept blowing breakers as well.

                                          This year I've resolved to exhibit something smaller, less power hungry, and less likely to blow up in the event of power problems...

                                          -Ian