Way OT: fixing mid-90s laser printer

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
      Got myself a (free) HP 4L today. It prints, but the page has a fuzzy
      background and there's a dark streak along the left edge. Of course I
      will replace the toner; ya'll think it needs more than that? Just a
      good cleaning inside, or is something broken?

      Oddly, HP has the service manual as a free download, but they don't have
      the user manual. Speaking of which: the power goes off after 15 minutes
      of inactivity, which is how it's supposed to work, but I can't figure
      out how to manually turn it off. Yes I tried pressing the power button. :)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
        I have a few of these, the "developer" I think they call it could be
        the issue. You're welcome to one of mine if it will help
        bd

        At 10:24 PM 1/2/2011, you wrote:
        >Got myself a (free) HP 4L today. It prints, but the page has a fuzzy
        >background and there's a dark streak along the left edge. Of course I
        >will replace the toner; ya'll think it needs more than that? Just a
        >good cleaning inside, or is something broken?
        >
        >Oddly, HP has the service manual as a free download, but they don't have
        >the user manual. Speaking of which: the power goes off after 15 minutes
        >of inactivity, which is how it's supposed to work, but I can't figure
        >out how to manually turn it off. Yes I tried pressing the power button. :)

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011

          > Got myself a (free) HP 4L today. It prints, but the page has a fuzzy
          > background and there's a dark streak along the left edge. Of course I
          > will replace the toner; ya'll think it needs more than that? Just a
          > good cleaning inside, or is something broken?

          In the past I've used this site, http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/
          Last fix cost me $3.98 in parts.
          YMMV

          Andy
        • Al Hartman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
            Replacing the toner replaces a good part of the printing process. You could
            try cleaning the drum carefully with a non-abrasive cloth in a dark room.
            There are companies who will rebuild the toner cartridge and replace the
            drum. They resurface old drums and reuse them.

            If the toner cart isn't the problem, You need to look in the back and take a
            look at the fuser roller. If it's scratched, you need to replace it. You can
            replace the whole assembly, or if you're willing, just replace the roller.
            That involves taking the fuser assembly apart carefully and changing the
            roller.

            The 4Lis a nice little printer. Definitely worth repairing as it will work
            with most operating systems.

            I thought there was a power switch inside the side door where the power
            cable goes in.

            Al