VCF E 7 Exhibitor Details PRELIMINARY

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 27, 2010
      This is the PRELIMINARY document

      Note the logistics may change, and I will keep on top of that and post updates.  The official rules for exhibitors for VCF E 7 will I hope appear on the vintage.org web site, and midatlanticretro.org.

      The rules below are almost verbatim from the VCF 3 web site, which seems to be the authoritative page on the subject.

      The judges will be the MARCH BOD members.

      A primary mission of the vintage computer festival and MARCH is to recognize those who do vintage computer preservation.   Good quality exhibits inspire others to get involved, and it will attract more people to the event. The computers themselves are the physical manifestation of our work in the hobby, and without them the VCF is just a symposia.

      There will be prizes TBD.

      Those who cannot otherwise exhibit their system can submit a photograph for the photo slideshow that will be displayed during the festival.

      There is a new award category - First to Smoke - First computer to go up in smoke or otherwise cook itself will win this prize.

      Exhibitor signup - http://www.vintage.org (not yet available).  Feel free to send your inquiries to Bill Degnan.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      FROM vintage.org (with edits for our event)

      Vintage Computer Festival

      Vintage Computer Faire Rules and Regulations

      The Vintage Computer Faire at the Vintage Computer Festival is a chance
      for hobbyists to show off interesting or unique items in their computer
      collections, or original re-creations and simulations of vintage
      computers or vintage computer operating systems.  The ambition of
      this competition is to advance the hobby of collecting, preserving and
      documenting vintage computers.

      If there's one bit of sagely advice we can give you, it's don't
      procrastinate!  Get going as early as possible on your exhibit to
      give it the best chance at taking home an award.

      VCF E 7.0 is being held May 14,15 2011 at the InfoAge Science Center in
      Wall, NJ)

      Please read the rules in their entirety if you plan to participate in the
      exhibit.

      The Rules:

      1) Each entrant shall enter no more than 2 entries for one class and no
      more than 4 entries combined in all classes for competition. Computers
      entered for display only are not eligible for awards and their inclusion
      in the exhibit is at the discretion of the organizer.  Exhibits by
      MARCH board of directors members are not eligible for awards.

      Each entrant shall pre-register their exhibit and pay a $20 registration
      fee for one standard exhibit space, due by May 14, 2011.  If you
      need more than one table/space, the per table fee will be
      discounted.  Entrants failing to submit their registration and fee
      will not be eligible to participate in the Faire, however exceptions may
      be made for individual circumstances.

      The VCF venue opens to exhibitors approximately 3:00PM EST on Friday, May
      13.  Entrants should be present at the VCF venue no later than 10:00
      am to setup and prepare their exhibit.  The exhibit floor opens to
      the general VCF attendance at 12:00pm.  Exhibitors should be
      prepared to exhibit their entries both days of the event.
      Exhibitors must have their exhibits disassembled and removed from the VCF
      venue no later than 7:00pm on Sunday, May 15.  Any exhibit not
      removed by the exhibitor will be removed by the VCF at the exhibitor's
      expense, plus a $50 handling fee.

      Exhibitors are responsible for the security of their exhibits during
      event hours.  The VCF provides monitors in the exhibit area to
      oversee exhibits and prevent abuse by attendees.  However,
      exhibitors should take care to properly secure easily removed elements of
      their exhibit.

      The exhibit area is secured during off-hours.  However, exhibitors
      are encouraged to attain insurance for items that are of significant
      rarity.  The Vintage Computer Festival cannot and does not provide
      such insurance.

      MARCH/VCF reserves the right to refuse any exhibits it deems inappropriate.

      2) Each competitor's entry shall be entered in only one of
      the following classes:

      a) Home-brew, kit, or educational computer - Any vintage
      b) Manufactured microcomputer - Pre 1981
      c) Manufactured microcomputer - Post 1981
      d) Mini-computer or larger system - Any vintage
      e) Other

      3) In each class, Best of Class, 2nd of Class, and 3rd of Class prizes
      will be awarded.  If less than three entries are present in a class,
      the awards are at the discretion of the judges.

      4) Each competition entry, regardless of it having received any other
      award is eligible to compete for any of the following special awards:

      Best Presentation Awards

      a) Best Presentation Category - Research
      b) Best Presentation Category - Completeness
      c) Best Presentation Category - Display
      d) Best Presentation Category - Creative Integration with Contemporary
      Technology

      Best Preservation Awards

      a) Best Preservation Category - Original Condition
      b) Best Preservation Category - Restoration
      c) Best Preservation Category - Recreation
      d) Best Preservation Category - Simulation
      e) Best Preservation Category - Obscurity

      Best Technology Awards

      a) Best Technology Category - Analog
      b) Best Technology Category - Non-Electronic

      People's Choice Award

      First to Smoke Award - First exhibit with a computer that produces smoke,
      sparks, or flames during the exhibit period.

      5) Each competitor will be given a date and time at which a panel of
      judges will examine the entry.  The examination is limited to no
      more than 10 minutes.  The entrant or an authorized representative
      must be present at the time given.  If nobody is present, the judges
      will notify the entrant of a substitute time at which they will
      return.  If nobody is present at that point in time, the entry is
      disqualified.

      6) Only class winners or special award winners are eligible for the Best
      of Show award.  Each winner will be given a new time to make their
      computer available for a repeated inspection for the Best of Show award.

      7) The panel of judges will consist of the MARCH board of directors. The
      judging will take place as a joint activity between the judges. Any
      judging decision must have at least a two thirds majority.

      8) Each computer will start judging by having a perfect score of 30
      points, five points each in the following categories.  The judges
      will then subtract points in each category according to their judging
      guidelines of which examples are given below.

      - Appearance and Condition
      - Authenticity
      - System Completeness
      - Functionality
      - Documentation
      - Software

      a) Appearance and Condition

      The judges can deduct points for any flaw in appearance and
      condition.  Lack of functionality or non-original parts do not
      influence the score in this category unless it changes the appearance of
      the computer.

      b) Originality and Authenticity

      The judges can deduct points for any part of the computer that is not
      original as built by the manufacturer, or as constructed at assembly time
      for kits.  Replacement parts must be indicated to the judges by the
      competitor.  New old stock parts will be considered to be
      replacement parts with a lesser point deduction.  A reproduction can
      not receive full points in this category.  Any consumables do not
      have to be authentic.  Any item that has questionable authenticity
      or originality needs to have supporting documentation.

      c) System Completeness

      The judges can deduct points for any part of the computer that is
      incomplete.  A complete computer is one that includes the
      peripherals that were originally used on the computer or typical
      peripherals that would have been used with the computer if applicable.

      d) Functionality

      The judges can deduct points for any lack of functionality of the
      complete computer as presented.  This includes any aspect of
      hardware or software.  Original malfunction of the computer does not
      lead to point deduction.  A non-operational main processor will
      result in zero points in this category.

      e) Documentation

      The judges can deduct points for incomplete, missing, or poor condition
      documentation.  Any documentation that was originally delivered with
      the computer or otherwise obtained is being judged.  Any
      documentation relating to the design, construction, manufacture, or
      delivery of the computer can be included.  Third party documentation
      is acceptable if no original documentation is known to exist.  Third
      party documentation can be beneficial if they go beyond the standard
      documentation of the computer. Reprints or later editions of
      documentation will result in point deduction.  Documentation of
      research conducted pertinent to the entry will be considered.

      f) Software

      The judges can deduct points for the lack of software for the computer,
      if applicable.  In order to score any points, the essential software
      to operate the computer is required to be functional.  Any software
      that has been developed for the computer either at the time of computer
      development or at any later point will be considered, as will be
      supporting documentation.  The software does not have to be run from
      the original media. Original media will be beneficial though and can be
      asked to be demonstrated.

      9) The judges will not operate the entry.  The person exhibiting the
      computer will be asked to start the computer, demonstrate the
      functionality, the available software, and to show the
      documentation.  Any reasonable request by the judges to demonstrate
      operation has to be fulfilled by the person showing the computer.

      10) The judges will ask the person showing the computer to open or
      disassemble the computer for inspection of major components within
      reasonable limits.

      11) If for any reason the person showing the entry can not fulfill a
      request of a judge due to a malfunction or any lack of software,
      documentation, or other, the entrant will be given an opportunity to
      interrupt the inspection once and postpone completion to a later point in
      time during the judging period.

      12) At the end of the event at an announced place and time, the awards
      will be given to the entrant or a representative.  If the prize
      recipient cannot receive the award in person, all shipping and handling
      charges will have to be covered by the entrant.  Should a person not
      be present to claim the prize, the awards shall be held for claim by the
      organizer for no later than June 1, 2010.  After that date the prize
      will be withheld and will not be re-awarded.

      -EOF-

      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Here is the original set of rules and categories which were used as the basis of the VCF E 7 event
      http://www.vintage.org/vcf99/exhibit.htm
      http://www.vintage.org/vcf99/rules

    • Andrew Molloy
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
        On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        There is a new award category - First to Smoke - First computer to go up in smoke or otherwise cook itself will win this prize.

        Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?

        Andy
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
          --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...> wrote:

          On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > > There is a new award category - First to Smoke - First computer to
          > > go up in smoke or otherwise cook itself will win this prize.
          >
          > Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?

          That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the machine's fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e., it didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical socket" to the list, then, yeah.

          I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total loss though.

          -Ian
        • Bruce Freeman
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
            Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was first powered up.  Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so it could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.

            --
            Bruce
            NJ
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
              Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                Disqualified if it's done on purpose. :)

                Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

                > Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a
                > "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was first
                > powered up. Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so it
                > could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.
                >
                > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:
                >

                > > --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...<awmolloy%40landsnail.com>>
                > > wrote:

                > > > Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?
                > > >

                > > That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the machine's
                > > fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e., it
                > > didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical socket"
                > > to the list, then, yeah.
                > >
                > > I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total loss
                > > though.
                > >
                > > -Ian
                > >

                > --
                > Bruce
                > NJ

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011

                  But how would you be able to tell ;)
                  We have our ways -hehe

                  Maybe an alternate category;
                  The computer to last the longest before smoking :)

                  On Jan 3, 2011 5:56 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  Disqualified if it's done on purpose.  :)

                    > Wow, so to win this "First to smoke" prize, all I need to do is show up
                    with the Apple IIgs I think I still have that was "Submerged" in someone's
                    wet, flooded garage... Those power supplies are remarkably touchy...

                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a
                    > > "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was
                    first
                    > > powered up. Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so
                    it
                    > > could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy
                    <awmolloy@...<awmolloy%40landsnail.com>>
                    > > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan
                    <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                    > > > That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the
                    machine's
                    > > > fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e.,
                    it
                    > > > didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical
                    socket"
                    > > > to the list, then, yeah.
                    > > >
                    > > > I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total
                    loss
                    > > > though.
                    > > >
                    > > > -Ian
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Bruce
                    > > NJ

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                      On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:

                      > We may need a pistol start!

                      Would an exploding tantalum cap do?

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                        On Monday, January 3, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                        > On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Bill Degnan wrote:
                        >
                        >> We may need a pistol start!
                        >
                        >    Would an exploding tantalum cap do?

                        Think big !
                        One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up
                        Evan gets to press the switch :)

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                          >>> We may need a pistol start!
                          >> Would an exploding tantalum cap do?
                          > Think big !
                          > One 10,000uf 25v filter cap connected to 120vac -- pointing up Evan gets to press the switch :)

                          Thanks. Do I also get to aim it anyone I want?
                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                            What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?

                            Regard,
                            Mike Willegal

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                              Each exhibitor gets a six-foot rectangular table, basic 110V power, one
                              VCF t-shirt, and one guest pass (for you to bring a friend, etc.) The
                              booth dimensions vary based on which room(s) at InfoAge we use for the
                              show; how many exhibitors we have to squeeze into the space; and various
                              nooks/crannies that make some booths slightly smaller/larger than
                              others. Having said that, a typical booth is approximately eight ft.
                              wide and six ft. deep.

                              Exhibitors can also opt for larger booths at a higher price. Exhibitors
                              can also opt for special power drops, which we'll try our best to
                              provide for free, but we may need to charge for that depending on
                              what/where/etc.

                              > What is a "standard exhibit space" and what kind of power drop is available in said space?
                              >
                              > Regard,
                              > Mike Willegal
                            • Bill Degnan
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                May I add ...

                                If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.

                                Bill Degnan

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                  Frank, that's not correct.  There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.  Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of course) to install some circuits for us.  As for this year, we're looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                                  PS - to all MARCHins -- Martin is someone whose name you'll be hearing more of regarding InfoAge.  He is an InfoAge volunteer who has gobs of professional experience in managing enterprise-class telecom and power infrastructure.  So far, for VCF, he sent me this message:

                                  "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase input,  twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs).  That enough juice for your gear?"

                                  Hey Gents;

                                  Just curious - what kind of "special power" are you thinking of? We certainly can't offer anything like 208V, 3-phase, 20 amp or anything like that. I don't believe that the buildings are wired for that.

                                  You might also want to consider a maximum current draw - If I remember correctly, we were popping breakers the last time because of all the exhibits. To preclude this, An example might be imposing a 120V, 5Amp limit, or some such. I'm pretty sure we have access to such a meter to enforce this.

                                  All the best,

                                  Frank

                                • Mr Ian Primus
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                    > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                                    > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission of
                                    > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                                    > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                                    > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)

                                    If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At least, it didn't then.

                                    An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                                    -Ian
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                      Another note about VCF -- we don't know yet which building(s) we'll be in.
                                    • Bill Degnan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                        We're working on it.

                                        Bill Degnan

                                        > > Frank, that's not correct. There are some 20A circuits in 9032A.
                                        > > Also at past VCFs we hired an electrician (with Fred's permission
                                        of
                                        > > course) to install some circuits for us. As for this year, we're
                                        > > looking at bringing in a generator (again this is with Fred's
                                        > > permission and with Martin's tech advice.)
                                        >
                                        > If you're talking about the same building the last VCFE was held in, then
                                        I can attest that a proper 20A, 110v power socket does *not* exist. At
                                        least, it didn't then.

                                        > An electrician should really be called in to install proper power so we
                                        don't have a repeat of what happened last time.

                                        > -Ian

                                      • Mike Loewen
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                          On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                          > "have a lead on a portable power distribution box (100 amp 120/208, 3 phase
                                          > input, twelve 120 V outputs, two 208 volt outputs). That enough juice for
                                          > your gear?"

                                          That may be enough for Dave Gesswein, but what about the rest of us?
                                          :-)

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                        • Mike
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                            how about 20 AMPS at 48 volts DC

                                            Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                                            I worked for a place that powered a "sea of cubes" with a fifteen AMP circuit that left the wall in my cube. One day the outlet caught on fire. The electrician who repaired it told me the fifteen AMP circuit was wired to a 50 AMP breaker!

                                            Regards,
                                            Mike W.

                                            > May I add ...
                                            >
                                            > If you know you're going to need special power, let us know asap.
                                            >
                                            > Bill Degnan

                                          • Mr Ian Primus
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 11, 2011
                                              --- On Tue, 1/11/11, Mike <mike@...> wrote:

                                              > Just kidding - I haven't checked the draw of the monitors I
                                              > have, but shouldn't be anything special. Just enough power
                                              > for about two or three vintage PCs with peripherals.

                                              I wouldn't forsee any problems with microcomputers. The only people that have had problems with power are those of us that have attempted to exhibit minicomputers. My Prime system needed 120v/20A, and was thus a big issue last time. Dave's PDP-8 system kept blowing breakers as well.

                                              This year I've resolved to exhibit something smaller, less power hungry, and less likely to blow up in the event of power problems...

                                              -Ian