RE: [midatlanticretro] T-Shirt ideas: (Was: future museum tours)

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      From: ragooman@...
      Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:59:41 -0500
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] future museum tours

      On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      PS - Please be careful to change subject lines when thread drift happens.

      oh man, that just gave me another idea for a T-Shirt

          email threads:
          drift happens

      now I need a background image for that
      ~haa
      =Dan

    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        >

        >> > to followup on myself
        >> > re: self guided tours
        >> do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
        >> > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm
        >> suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi
        >> equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
        >> >

        >> > -- Jeff3 Jonas
        >>
        >> Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
        >> kiosks. But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
        >> your method as well and do some very cool things
        >

        >I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all
        >this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a
        >recording.
        >
        >Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and
        >get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice
        >little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button
        >mounted on there.

        How about Stephen Hawking's voice? I have amassed a collection of DECtalk
        DTC01s/DTC03s and even send the Hawking camp one when they needed a spare.
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
          Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

          Jim

          On 12/25/2010 12:45 PM, system@... wrote:

          "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> writes:

          >to followup on myself
          >re: self guided tours
          >
          >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad
          >> but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi
          >> to download MP3s of narration
          >
          >To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear":
          >I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests
          >to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment
          >to eliminate the need to lend things.
          >
          >It would be "totally retro" to have terminals like in 2001 or the mostly-us=
          >eless computer terminals from the TV series "The Starlost", but it's unfair=
          > to force guests to using a faulty/breaking system (but some would enjoy th=
          >e "adventure/hunt-the-wumpus" aspect). Lest we emulate the computer from th=
          >e original Star Trek (with the woman's voice), or Red Dwarf or The Hitch-Hi=
          >ker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm already dreaming of April's fool's day spoof=
          >s for such as system!

          I travel extensively throughout Europe to photograph concerts gigs. When in
          various countries, I've teken the time to see historical sites. Places like
          that pile of rocks on the Salisbury plain in England or the Anne Frank house
          in Amsterdam let self-guided tour devices in close to 40 different languages.
          These are site with a high volume of visitors. Something like InfoAge would
          be hard pressed to afford such a system. I would think that something like a
          downloadable podcast would be ideal. Give vistors a URL, assuming that they
          have a device which would facilitiate such. However, I believe that InfoAge
          and the MARCH museum are still in early infancy and such an undertaking would
          best be put on hold until the two mature. Put the efforts now into exhibits.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

            Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

            Can't anybody here remember to change the subject lines when thread drift happens!!!???

            Anyway .... our current exhibits of microcomputers and homebrew-era computers have plenty of signage .... I made signs for the minicomputers too, but haven't gotten around to printing them in the InfoAge poster template yet.