Re: [midatlanticretro] future museum tours

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
      On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      > to followup on myself
      > re: self guided tours
      >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
      > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
      >

      > -- Jeff3 Jonas

      Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
      kiosks.  But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
      your method as well and do some very cool things

      I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a recording.

      Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button mounted on there.

      Now as for the recording device, you can easily find any digital device cheap enough, also speakers, by searching online which you can wireup the play button. I've done simple stuff this already for our museum here.

      That's all.
      =Dan

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        From: ragooman@...
        Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:59:41 -0500
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] future museum tours

        On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        PS - Please be careful to change subject lines when thread drift happens.

        oh man, that just gave me another idea for a T-Shirt

            email threads:
            drift happens

        now I need a background image for that
        ~haa
        =Dan

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
          Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

          >On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          >

          >> > to followup on myself
          >> > re: self guided tours
          >> do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
          >> > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm
          >> suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi
          >> equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
          >> >

          >> > -- Jeff3 Jonas
          >>
          >> Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
          >> kiosks. But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
          >> your method as well and do some very cool things
          >

          >I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all
          >this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a
          >recording.
          >
          >Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and
          >get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice
          >little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button
          >mounted on there.

          How about Stephen Hawking's voice? I have amassed a collection of DECtalk
          DTC01s/DTC03s and even send the Hawking camp one when they needed a spare.
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
            Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

            Jim

            On 12/25/2010 12:45 PM, system@... wrote:

            "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> writes:

            >to followup on myself
            >re: self guided tours
            >
            >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad
            >> but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi
            >> to download MP3s of narration
            >
            >To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear":
            >I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests
            >to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment
            >to eliminate the need to lend things.
            >
            >It would be "totally retro" to have terminals like in 2001 or the mostly-us=
            >eless computer terminals from the TV series "The Starlost", but it's unfair=
            > to force guests to using a faulty/breaking system (but some would enjoy th=
            >e "adventure/hunt-the-wumpus" aspect). Lest we emulate the computer from th=
            >e original Star Trek (with the woman's voice), or Red Dwarf or The Hitch-Hi=
            >ker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm already dreaming of April's fool's day spoof=
            >s for such as system!

            I travel extensively throughout Europe to photograph concerts gigs. When in
            various countries, I've teken the time to see historical sites. Places like
            that pile of rocks on the Salisbury plain in England or the Anne Frank house
            in Amsterdam let self-guided tour devices in close to 40 different languages.
            These are site with a high volume of visitors. Something like InfoAge would
            be hard pressed to afford such a system. I would think that something like a
            downloadable podcast would be ideal. Give vistors a URL, assuming that they
            have a device which would facilitiate such. However, I believe that InfoAge
            and the MARCH museum are still in early infancy and such an undertaking would
            best be put on hold until the two mature. Put the efforts now into exhibits.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

              Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

              Can't anybody here remember to change the subject lines when thread drift happens!!!???

              Anyway .... our current exhibits of microcomputers and homebrew-era computers have plenty of signage .... I made signs for the minicomputers too, but haven't gotten around to printing them in the InfoAge poster template yet.