Does MARCH have a hackerspace at Camp Evans?

  • bakmthiscl
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 22, 2010
      I've recently visited Hive76 and FUBAR Labs and admired their hackerspaces. Does MARCH have such a space at Camp Evans -- or does it plan to?
      Messing around with antique computers is a fine endeavor, but a hackerspace would have to go beyond this. What member activities, if any, does MARCH offer? For example, FUBAR plans to give a class on Arduino. Both Hive76 and FUBAR are messing about with open source 3D printers. Myself, I'd like a semi-structured class on tearing apart electronic "junk" (TVs, VHS players, etc., etc.) to isolate reusable parts.
      I have time I could contribute to such an effort.
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 22, 2010
        > I've recently visited Hive76 and FUBAR Labs and admired their hackerspaces. Does MARCH have such a space at Camp Evans -- or does it plan to?
        > Messing around with antique computers is a fine endeavor, but a hackerspace would have to go beyond this. What member activities, if any, does MARCH offer? For example, FUBAR plans to give a class on Arduino. Both Hive76 and FUBAR are messing about with open source 3D printers. Myself, I'd like a semi-structured class on tearing apart electronic "junk" (TVs, VHS players, etc., etc.) to isolate reusable parts.
        > I have time I could contribute to such an effort.

        Hello,

        A hackerspace is beyond MARCH's scope -- we are strictly a vintage
        computing group. However our bricks-and-mortar host (the InfoAge
        Science Center, aka the former Camp Evans) definitely * wants * someone
        to come in and form a hackerspace there. A few people have expressed
        interest but nobody ever came through.

        I can connect you (via private email) with some of those people. Also,
        if you're serious, then I can tell you offline about the various groups'
        relationship structure with InfoAge; how a new group incubates there;
        etc. (have you visited yet? if not then let me know and I'll give you a
        tour.)

        Also, as well all newcomers to our list -- please introduce yourself --
        your background in tech; how you discovered us; etc.

        - Evan (MARCH prez)
      • B F
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 23, 2010
          Evan,

          Thanks for your response.

          I am a retired/unemployed analytical chemist. Hence, I've worked with
          computers and electronic, as well as mechanical, apparatus all my
          career. However, most of what I know about electronics and computers
          I've had to learn on my own, so it's sketchy.

          My claims to fame are http://njba.abana-chapter.com/ which I helped
          found, and http://grasshopperhammer.com/ .

          Being unemployed, I certainly have time to help create a hackerspace,
          and I'm motivated because the nearest such space is FUBAR Labs.
          Failing this, I would simply continue work on my own private
          "hackerspace." So, by all means, put me in touch with those
          interested. (I wrote the bylaws for NJBA and have been on its board
          since its inception about a decade ago. I know how to run volunteer
          groups.)

          I have briefly toured InfoAge, but without a guide and without giving
          it the time it's due. I live about a mile away, so that can be
          remedied at any time. I first became aware of InfoAge by driving
          along Marconi Rd. and seeing the sign. I became aware of MARCH only
          after finding the Hackerspace Wiki, which in turn I found only after
          visiting Hive76, which in turn I learned of from the NPR.org website.
          (I was dimly aware of NYC Resistor, but have yet to work up the
          motivation to visit.) I sent the message below only after I learned
          from Mark Sproul of FUBAR Labs that someone at InfoAge was interested
          in having a hackerspace there.

          On a separate topic, does InfoAge or MARCH have 501.c.3 status? (If
          not, DON'T be quick to get it.)

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 23, 2010
            > My claims to fame are http://njba.abana-chapter.com/ which I helped
            > found, and http://grasshopperhammer.com/

            Neat!

            > Being unemployed, I certainly have time

            I understand .... me too.

            > I have briefly toured InfoAge, but without a guide and without giving it the time it's due.

            Yes -- we need to do better at making comprehensible self-guided tours.

            > I became aware of MARCH only after finding the Hackerspace Wiki

            Ah. We did put a link there, because we hoped to find someone like you!

            > I sent the message below only after I learned from Mark Sproul of FUBAR Labs that someone at InfoAge was interested
            > in having a hackerspace there.

            Excellent. Many of us know some of the FUBAR Labs people, and
            vice-versa. There are some overlapping members of both groups.

            > On a separate topic, does InfoAge or MARCH have 501.c.3 status?

            InfoAge does. MARCH doesn't. MARCH is a not-for-profit company in the
            State of NJ, but we don't yet have 501c3 status.

            Why do you think having that status is a bad thing?
          • B F
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 23, 2010
              Re: 501.c.3 status,

              It's not that I think HAVING the status is bad, but when I looked into
              it about 10 years ago it became rapidly clear that maintaining the
              status is not worth the effort for a small organization. The
              paperwork is onerous.

              Large organizations stand to gain from large corporate and individual
              donations -- which are tax deductable if the receiving organization
              has 501.c.3 status. A large organization can pay someone (a CPA?) to
              handle the paperwork. Smaller organizations have much less to gain.

              I have already suggested to Fubar that ALL US hackerspaces become
              "chapters" of some overweening organization which then would get
              501.c.3 status. Then all donations would be funneled through the
              parent organization before being attributed to the chapter. The
              parent org. could pay a CPA, and recoup the expense in some manner
              from the chapters.

              MARCH, and possibly a hackerspace at Camp Evans, might utilize the
              InfoAge 501.c.3 status, if a mutually agreeable arrangement can be
              reached.

              Re: Self-guided tours of InfoAge. Write one or more scripts, record
              them, and play back through "rented" equipment. Formerly, cassette
              recorders were the equipment of choice, but there's certain to be some
              digital apparatus available now. This is the kind of thing you seek a
              grant for, if necessary.

              What's the next step Re: a hackerspace at Camp Evans?

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 23, 2010
                > Thanks for your opinion.
                >
                > We intend to get the status, probably by the end of next year, so that we can accept corporate donations. We have a trustworthy person to handle the paperwork.

                Thanks for your opinion.

                We intend to get the status, probably by the end of next year, so that
                we can accept corporate donations. We have a trustworthy person to
                handle the paperwork.

                I answered the rest of your question offline. (Please be careful when
                replying to the whole list vs. one person directly.)
              • mejeep_ferret
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 24, 2010
                  >> I have briefly toured InfoAge, but without a guide

                  > Yes -- we need to do better at making comprehensible
                  > self-guided tours.

                  I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad or i-anything but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration instead of having to lend audio cassettes and players?

                  The "Internet of Things" seems to be taking shape with the so-called 3D barcodes that cellphone cameras can read just via taking a photo of it. Could that be used to trigger a web page, audio or multimedia player for each room, or exhibit tagged with the magic barcode? Hacker Spaces seem to have folks using that tech for fun things and there's apparently some free central place to get the barcodes.

                  -- Jeff3 Jonas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 24, 2010
                    >> Yes -- we need to do better at making comprehensible self-guided tours.
                    > I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad or i-anything but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration instead of having to lend audio cassettes and players?
                    >
                    > The "Internet of Things" seems to be taking shape with the so-called 3D barcodes that cellphone cameras can read just via taking a photo of it. Could that be used to trigger a web page, audio or multimedia player for each room, or exhibit tagged with the magic barcode? Hacker Spaces seem to have folks using that tech for fun things and there's apparently some free central place to get the barcodes.

                    There are a "plethora" (Bryan's favorite word) of ways that visitors
                    could put InfoAge audio files onto their own gadgets. The details are
                    unimportant right now.
                  • mejeep_ferret
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 24, 2010
                      to followup on myself
                      re: self guided tours

                      > I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad
                      > but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi
                      > to download MP3s of narration

                      To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear":
                      I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests
                      to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment
                      to eliminate the need to lend things.

                      It would be "totally retro" to have terminals like in 2001 or the mostly-useless computer terminals from the TV series "The Starlost", but it's unfair to force guests to using a faulty/breaking system (but some would enjoy the "adventure/hunt-the-wumpus" aspect). Lest we emulate the computer from the original Star Trek (with the woman's voice), or Red Dwarf or The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm already dreaming of April's fool's day spoofs for such as system!

                      -- Jeff3 Jonas
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                        > to followup on myself
                        > re: self guided tours
                        >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
                        > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
                        >
                        > It would be "totally retro" to have terminals like in 2001 or the mostly-useless computer terminals from the TV series "The Starlost", but it's unfair to force guests to using a faulty/breaking system (but some would enjoy the "adventure/hunt-the-wumpus" aspect). Lest we emulate the computer from the original Star Trek (with the woman's voice), or Red Dwarf or The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm already dreaming of April's fool's day spoofs for such as system!
                        >
                        > -- Jeff3 Jonas

                        Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
                        kiosks. But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
                        your method as well and do some very cool things.

                        I just don't think we need to work out the details right now.

                        PS - Please be careful to change subject lines when thread drift happens.
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                          On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                          PS - Please be careful to change subject lines when thread drift happens.

                          oh man, that just gave me another idea for a T-Shirt

                              email threads:
                              drift happens

                          now I need a background image for that
                          ~haa
                          =Dan

                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                            "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> writes:

                            >to followup on myself
                            >re: self guided tours
                            >
                            >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad
                            >> but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi
                            >> to download MP3s of narration
                            >
                            >To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear":
                            >I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests
                            >to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment
                            >to eliminate the need to lend things.
                            >
                            >It would be "totally retro" to have terminals like in 2001 or the mostly-us=
                            >eless computer terminals from the TV series "The Starlost", but it's unfair=
                            > to force guests to using a faulty/breaking system (but some would enjoy th=
                            >e "adventure/hunt-the-wumpus" aspect). Lest we emulate the computer from th=
                            >e original Star Trek (with the woman's voice), or Red Dwarf or The Hitch-Hi=
                            >ker's Guide to the Galaxy! I'm already dreaming of April's fool's day spoof=
                            >s for such as system!

                            I travel extensively throughout Europe to photograph concerts gigs. When in
                            various countries, I've teken the time to see historical sites. Places like
                            that pile of rocks on the Salisbury plain in England or the Anne Frank house
                            in Amsterdam let self-guided tour devices in close to 40 different languages.
                            These are site with a high volume of visitors. Something like InfoAge would
                            be hard pressed to afford such a system. I would think that something like a
                            downloadable podcast would be ideal. Give vistors a URL, assuming that they
                            have a device which would facilitiate such. However, I believe that InfoAge
                            and the MARCH museum are still in early infancy and such an undertaking would
                            best be put on hold until the two mature. Put the efforts now into exhibits.
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                              On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                              > to followup on myself
                              > re: self guided tours
                              >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
                              > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
                              >

                              > -- Jeff3 Jonas

                              Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
                              kiosks.  But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
                              your method as well and do some very cool things

                              I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a recording.

                              Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button mounted on there.

                              Now as for the recording device, you can easily find any digital device cheap enough, also speakers, by searching online which you can wireup the play button. I've done simple stuff this already for our museum here.

                              That's all.
                              =Dan

                            • Jeffrey Brace
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

                                To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                From: ragooman@...
                                Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:59:41 -0500
                                Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] future museum tours

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                                  >On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> > to followup on myself
                                  >> > re: self guided tours
                                  >> do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
                                  >> > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm
                                  >> suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi
                                  >> equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
                                  >> >

                                  >> > -- Jeff3 Jonas
                                  >>
                                  >> Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
                                  >> kiosks. But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
                                  >> your method as well and do some very cool things
                                  >

                                  >I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all
                                  >this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a
                                  >recording.
                                  >
                                  >Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and
                                  >get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice
                                  >little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button
                                  >mounted on there.

                                  How about Stephen Hawking's voice? I have amassed a collection of DECtalk
                                  DTC01s/DTC03s and even send the Hawking camp one when they needed a spare.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010
                                    Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 25, 2010

                                      Have we tried signs? As in more than just a label, but a paragraph about each exhibit.

                                      Can't anybody here remember to change the subject lines when thread drift happens!!!???

                                      Anyway .... our current exhibits of microcomputers and homebrew-era computers have plenty of signage .... I made signs for the minicomputers too, but haven't gotten around to printing them in the InfoAge poster template yet.