RE: [midatlanticretro] tandy 8 meg disk system cables?

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
      Yeah, I doubt they're going to work. They weren't reliable when new. Very finicky about power on/power off sequence.

      Make sure you use the correct controller card for them. It can easily be identified by the red strips of material under the chips. If you don't have this you're using the wrong card.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
        I had that link someplace, but I just now added it to my links page for
        future reference

        Bill Degnan

        > Forgot the link to Mr. Durda's MFM page:
        >
        > http://nemesis.lonestar.org/computers/tandy/hardware/storage/mfm.html

      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
          --- On Wed, 12/22/10, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

          > Make sure you use the correct controller card for them. It
          > can easily be identified by the red strips of material under
          > the chips. If you don't have this you're using the wrong
          > card.

          The TRS-80 Model II I got from Bill has the proper 8 meg disk controller board in it (red strips under the chips). If you wound up with the wrong one, let me know - I'll trade you :D I don't hold out much hope of finding a drive that's compatible with this controller - I think I'd have better luch with the newer control board.

          -Ian
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
            > > Make sure you use the correct controller card for them. It
            > > can easily be identified by the red strips of material under
            > > the chips. If you don't have this you're using the wrong
            > > card.
            > >

            > The TRS-80 Model II I got from Bill has the proper 8 meg disk controller
            board in it (red strips under the chips). If you wound up with the wrong
            one, let me know - I'll trade you :D I don't hold out much hope of finding
            a drive that's compatible with this controller - I think I'd have better
            luch with the newer control board.

            > -Ian

            Mine has a HD controller as well, but thanks anyway. It may be possible to
            attach an old Winchester hard drive that comes your way, you never know.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 2010
              On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

              > --- On Wed, 12/22/10, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Make sure you use the correct controller card for them. It
              >> can easily be identified by the red strips of material under
              >> the chips. If you don't have this you're using the wrong
              >> card.
              >>

              > The TRS-80 Model II I got from Bill has the proper 8 meg disk controller board in it (red strips under the chips). If you wound up with the wrong one, let me know - I'll trade you :D I don't hold out much hope of finding a drive that's compatible with this controller - I think I'd have better luch with the newer control board.

              I haven't had a chance to check the Model II that I took from this
              haul, yet. I have the other 8MB drive, but need to make sure my Model II
              has the proper controller installed.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...