Good news for us

  • evan947
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
      Per prior emails (from March 16), I corresponded with VCF's Sellam
      Ismail yesterday, and he supports our idea for making VCF East into a
      MARCH event.

      This is part of a trend. Sellam will continue to run the main VCF
      show every fall out in Silicon Valley, but he's offloading the
      regional events to trusted peers. He trusts us to run "VCF East by
      MARCH".

      Now, I think it's a good idea to actually hold the event in the month
      of March, for a few reasons. First, that way it won't confuse
      newcomers because of our name. Second, VCF East has traditionally
      been a springtime event. Third, even though we'd like to have a local
      fall event, that would conflict with the main VCF and would make us
      vulnerable to snow issues.

      That doesn't preclude us from having summer or fall swap meets, nor
      does it conflict with TCF, because I think our TCF exhibit is a
      one-time thing since this year is a miletone (30th) anniversary for them.

      Also: a few people said they can only attend our TCF exhibit on
      Saturday. That's fine, but, are there any volunteers to help out on
      Sunday? We don't want to be stranded.
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
        > Also: a few people said they can only attend our TCF exhibit on
        > Saturday. That's fine, but, are there any volunteers to help out on
        > Sunday? We don't want to be stranded.

        I will be their both days. I will need one other person to help lift
        stuff in and out of the rack. I plan to show up 8am Saturday and packup at
        closing Sunday. My wife will be along but can't safely lift that much.

        Spent time this weekend cleaning and reracking better the system (had a house
        guest I could take advantage of). Tonight I see if it all still works.
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
          I'll be there both days also. I may make Friday night, if not I'll be there
          0-dark-30 Saturday morning.

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
            Friday night, you can try to get in (and I'll even tell the TCF folks to expect you), but I think no one else will come until Saturday morning...

            I'll be there both days also.  I may make Friday night, if not I'll be there
            0-dark-30 Saturday morning.

            > -----Original
            Message-----
            Monday, April 04, 2005 12:51 PM
            > To:
            midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Good
            news for us

            > > Also: a few people said they
            can only attend our TCF exhibit on
            > > Saturday.  That's fine,
            but, are there any volunteers to help out on
            > > Sunday?  We don't
            want to be stranded.

          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
              It seems like far into the future, but planning one of these events will take
              a year, I agree with Evan about March as the date. We should get started
              asap. We can discuss the basics at the TCF, start assigning prelimiary tasks, etc.
              Bill

              In a message dated 4/4/2005 12:10:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              evan947@... writes:

              > Per prior emails (from March 16), I corresponded with VCF's Sellam
              > Ismail yesterday, and he supports our idea for making VCF East into a
              > MARCH event.
              >
              > This is part of a trend. Sellam will continue to run the main VCF
              > show every fall out in Silicon Valley, but he's offloading the
              > regional events to trusted peers. He trusts us to run "VCF East by
              > MARCH".
            • Chris McKinley
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
                I never understood why it takes so long to arrange
                such an event...but Ive never done it. It wont be
                anywhere near as big as TCF mind you. Truth is, how
                many attendees would it draw if it was only vintage?
                Maybe consider an autumn version of TCF, minus all the
                indoor vendors (i.e. just flea market and maybe a few
                workshops.). I think I was going to say something
                else, but I forgot...
                --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:
                > It seems like far into the future, but planning one
                of these events will take
                > a year, I agree with Evan about March as the date.
                We should get started
                > asap. We can discuss the basics at the TCF, start
                assigning prelimiary tasks, etc.
                > Bill

                Standard Time,
                > evan947@... writes:
                >
                > > Per prior emails (from March 16), I corresponded
                with VCF's Sellam
                > > Ismail yesterday, and he supports our idea for
                making VCF East into a
                > > MARCH event.
                > >
                > > This is part of a trend. Sellam will continue to
                run the main VCF
                > > show every fall out in Silicon Valley, but he's
                offloading the
                > > regional events to trusted peers. He trusts us
                to run "VCF East by
                > > MARCH".

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • evan
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Well, if it wasn't all about vintage, then it wouldn't be the right event for
                  our group. We're certainly not the right group to be hosting a general-purpose
                  computer show.

                  Let me share some more background about how VCF events work (I apologize if
                  you've already been to one)... VCF began in 97 with the main show every fall,
                  at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California... since then they
                  started VCF Europa every May in Germany as well. VCF East 1.0 took place in
                  2001, in the Boston area, and VCF East 2.0 didn't happen until 2004, also in
                  the Boston area -- LOL and that was mainly because I and a few other local
                  people (I lived in Boston at the time) did most of the legwork.

                  Sellam Ismail, who runs VCF, puts the vast majority of his effort into the main
                  VCF event. It's more of a fluke when he has the time to produce one of the
                  smaller, regional events. Every year, his time constraints get more intense,
                  and that shows signs of continuing. (The guy has three jobs!) That is why, a
                  few years ago, he gave control of VCF Europe to a trusted party in Germany
                  (Hans Franke; some of you might know Hans from the classiccmp.org mailing
                  lists).

                  I and others people, for a while now (long before MARCH existed), have been
                  trying to convince Sellam that the way to best have regional events is to
                  continue to entrust select people in each region. He'd continue to "own" the
                  main VCF and set the bar for the regional franchises.

                  Now he's coming around to that idea. This summer, there will probably be VCF
                  Midwest 1.0, at Purdue University (Indiana). There are some people in Texas
                  working on VCF South plans. VCF Canada is also a possibility. And, for the
                  east, he's agreed to entrust MARCH (me specifically) with the VCF brand.

                  By the way, none of the stuff I just wrote is public yet, so please keep it
                  quiet.

                  Anyway, VCF East 2.0 last year was a moderate success. Sun Microsystems hosted
                  th event at their Boston-area campus. The show was advertised among local
                  computer clubs, press releases were distributed to the local media, it was
                  Slashdotted, posting were made to the appropriate newsgroups, we informed
                  regional related clubs (vintage radio, museums, colleges, etc.) ... several
                  hundred people showed up.

                  The way the actual shows work has two parts. They take place on either a
                  Fri./Sat. or Sat./Sun., with four or five lectures held each morning, and the
                  exhibits being open each afternoon. For the regional shows, it doesn't require
                  too much space; about 1,000-1,200 sq. ft. is fine, with another smaller room
                  for the lectures. Basically any decent sized ballroom or gym would suffice for
                  the exhibits part. I feel it's better to have a jam-packed smaller venue than
                  a morgue-like larger one. I've been involved in planning enough events,
                  including some massive shows for work, to speak from experience about this.

                  With the proper effort put into marketing, we can expect VCF East 3.0 to
                  attract 20-30 exhibitors, and maybe 500 attendees over the weekend. Ideally,
                  we find someone to donate use of venue space, and we charge about $20 per
                  exhibitor. Unlike at TCF, we DO allow selling to transpire -- or at least we
                  don't disallow it -- to avoid attracting local government attention, permits,
                  and all the stuff. Hopefully we find someone to donate things like tables,
                  signs, etc.; even better if we can get corporate sponsorship for these things.

                  After the Trenton event, we can work on helping the Infoage group -- my thought
                  process is that the nicer and more helpful we are to them, the more willing
                  they will be to return the favor. Oh, here's another idea: since they want us
                  to get involved with their museum efforts, maybe we can have VCF East 3.0
                  double as the grand opening (or at least a "public beta") for the museum! I
                  think that would be quite awesome.

                  Of course, when it comes to our own event, we need to count on more than seven
                  of our members to exhibit and get involved! :-)

                  --- Chris McKinley <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                  > I never understood why it takes so long to arrange
                  > such an event...but Ive never done it. It wont be
                  > anywhere near as big as TCF mind you. Truth is, how
                  > many attendees would it draw if it was only vintage?
                  > Maybe consider an autumn version of TCF, minus all the
                  > indoor vendors (i.e. just flea market and maybe a few
                  > workshops.). I think I was going to say something
                  > else, but I forgot...
                  > --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  > > It seems like far into the future, but planning one
                  > of these events will take
                  > > a year, I agree with Evan about March as the date.
                  > We should get started
                  > > asap. We can discuss the basics at the TCF, start
                  > assigning prelimiary tasks, etc.
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > In a message dated 4/4/2005 12:10:39 PM Eastern
                  > Standard Time,
                  > > evan947@... writes:
                  > >
                  > > > Per prior emails (from March 16), I corresponded
                  > with VCF's Sellam
                  > > > Ismail yesterday, and he supports our idea for
                  > making VCF East into a
                  > > > MARCH event.
                  > > >
                  > > > This is part of a trend. Sellam will continue to
                  > run the main VCF
                  > > > show every fall out in Silicon Valley, but he's
                  > offloading the
                  > > > regional events to trusted peers. He trusts us
                  > to run "VCF East by
                  > > > MARCH".

                  > Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second dates.
                  > http://personals.yahoo.com

                  Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

                  - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6, 2005
                    > > I'll be there both days also. I may make Friday night, if not
                    > > I'll be there 0-dark-30 Saturday morning.
                    >
                    > Friday night, you can try to get in (and I'll even tell the TCF
                    > folks to expect you), but I think no one else will come until
                    > Saturday morning...

                    If no one else is going to be there until Saturday, then I won't
                    either.

                    Bill S.