OT Help installing Turbo.C

  • rkzbos
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
      My plan is to learn the C programming language to learn programming in a spare computer. This is where MS-DOS 6.22 in a pizza box come in.

      I was able to download Turbo.C as a zip file into my XP PC. After unzipping in XP, the files were grouped into 3 folders. I copied the files into a few 3.5 disk and place them into my DOS 6.22 computer. ( Before that I made a directory in MS-DOS and called it TURBO_C I also made 3 sub directories in Turbo_C I simply called them disk1, disk2 and disk3.

      After coping all of the Turbo.C files into MS-DOS, I placed everything in the same order, then I restarted the computer. The next step was to try to install Turbo.C. After I found INSTALL file, I try to follow the installation steps. It seems that I came into some difficulties. I think that a pop up window ask me something about "compiler", which I probably don't have yet.

      Anyway, somehow I wined up with 51 files in a directory call C:\TC> I do not think that the installation is complete and I am not sure else what to do.

      Thank you
      rkzbos
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
        It's been a long time since I used Turbo C but the complete installation set has about 13 disks from what i can remember.

        What was the exact question it asked?

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
          "rkzbos" <jackrossini@...> writes:

          >My plan is to learn the C programming language to learn programming in a sp=
          >are computer. This is where MS-DOS 6.22 in a pizza box come in.

          IMHO, one should just learn to program; the implementation language is
          secondary.

          C is both a good and a terrible language to use to learn programming.
          I believe it tends to engrain the many bad programming practices which
          are making the internet the playground for hackers that it has become.
          So, while you are learning the language -- which ought to take only a
          few minutes -- learn proper and safe programming practices whilst you
          are programming with C.
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
            carefully compare whether the files are actually and correctly onto the
            install disks you've created. find the install manual, there may be
            directions other than "type install, press enter"

            Bill Degnan

            > My plan is to learn the C programming language to learn programming in a
            spare computer. This is where MS-DOS 6.22 in a pizza box come in.

            > I was able to download Turbo.C as a zip file into my XP PC. After
            unzipping in XP, the files were grouped into 3 folders. I copied the files
            into a few 3.5 disk and place them into my DOS 6.22 computer. ( Before that
            I made a directory in MS-DOS and called it TURBO_C I also made 3 sub
            directories in Turbo_C I simply called them disk1, disk2 and disk3.

            > After coping all of the Turbo.C files into MS-DOS, I placed everything in
            the same order, then I restarted the computer. The next step was to try to
            install Turbo.C. After I found INSTALL file, I try to follow the
            installation steps. It seems that I came into some difficulties. I think
            that a pop up window ask me something about "compiler", which I probably
            don't have yet.

            > Anyway, somehow I wined up with 51 files in a directory call C:\TC> I
            do not think that the installation is complete and I am not sure else what
            to do.

            > Thank you
            > rkzbos

          • Gene Buckle
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2010
              On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

              > carefully compare whether the files are actually and correctly onto the
              > install disks you've created. find the install manual, there may be
              > directions other than "type install, press enter"

              Copy the files from all three disks into a temp directory and run the
              install program. The only choices you'd really need to make are which
              libraries you want (for memory models) - I'd pick all of them.

              Keep the defaults for the rest of the options. Add the bin directory to
              your path (I think the default is \TC\BIN\). To see if it works, open a
              dos box and cd to \tc\bin\ and type "TURBO". The IDE should start.

              g.

              --
              Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

              by the clean end.