Re: Hi!

  • amenard86
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010

      > Quebecois ? May I say Bonjour ! Et Comment ca-va ? Bienvenue ! My French is rusty, and it is France French, not Quebec French, so bear with me
      >
      > I hear a lot of Quebec-ers drive down and visit Wildwood, NJ during the summer time. I see lots of Quebec license plates on the parkway during that time of year.

      Yes Wildwood is a common summer destination for Quebecers, just like Fort Lauderdale, Fl. is in winter.
    • Grant Stockly
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3 1:08 PM
        I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend.  I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have thought the content was different or not as active.  I subscribed over the weekend and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!

        I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.

        My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed" house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down with ALS.

        My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak kit factory going again.  : )  Something we want to do is keep items in stock and sell individual items.  Previously I tried to sell complete kits only to reduce the hassle.

        I'm glad this resource is available!  I'm also happy to read familiar names and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of the vintage community once again!

        Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and still be in the US!  (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the furthest north, east, and west state in the union...  ; )  )
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3 1:27 PM
          >> I found out about this list while searching about
          the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
          I've heard of it before

          Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

          One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

          Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3 2:06 PM
            On 09/03/2013 04:08 PM, Grant Stockly wrote:
            > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
            > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
            > thought the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over
            > the weekend and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
            >
            > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
            >
            > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
            > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
            > with ALS.
            >
            > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
            > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
            > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
            > kits only to reduce the hassle.
            >
            > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
            > names and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member
            > of the vintage community once again!
            >
            > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
            > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
            > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

            Welcome, Grant! Yes, this is a good crew. The S/N ratio here tends
            to be very good.

            I'm glad you're getting back into the swing of things!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Grant Stockly
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3 3:18 PM
              I tried to restart a year ago but shortly after that failed to get a construction loan on the half completed house flip experiment.  Also during that time I remodeled my father's house for his illness (he basically became a quadraplegic), then in March the company I work for relocated to Houston leaving me as an at home employee for the same company.  We had to pack up a manufacturing facility, restart it in Houston, and then I moved my office to my home.

              I think it's over now.  : )

              Grant

              On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              >> I found out about this list while searching about
              the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
              I've heard of it before

              Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

              One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

              Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.

            • Al Hartman
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3 4:30 PM
                Grant, welcome to the list...

                I’ve been looking at your webpages with interest for awhile. Someday, when finances allow – I might add one of your Altair kits to my collection.

                The Altair is just before my time, but it would be good to learn.

                Al
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 3 4:52 PM
                  > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                  > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                  thought
                  > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
                  weekend
                  > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                  >
                  > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                  >
                  > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                  > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                  with
                  > ALS.
                  >
                  > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                  > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                  > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                  kits
                  > only to reduce the hassle.
                  >
                  > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                  names
                  > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
                  the
                  > vintage community once again!
                  >
                  > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                  > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                  > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                  Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
                  members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
                  subjects.

                  Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
                  my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
                  Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
                  front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
                  papertape archiving project I have to complete.

                  Bill
                  vintagecomputer.net
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3 10:49 PM

                    Hey Grant,

                      Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...

                    Like Bill, I'll give you a run down of my projects

                    I'm working on two Scelbi 8h replicas, one for the museum at InfoAge (MARCH's exhibit) and one for myself.

                    I'm working on getting my Helios drive working with my Sol-20 (I also just got another Sol-20 also, this is one of the first ones made that looks like it rolled off the factory floor except for some loose side panels that will only take a few minutes to fix, but who knows what else I'll get myself into)

                    I just finished getting my Altair to talk correctly to my punch/reader combo DSI-2400 where I could punch in altair format and reload using MBL, or punch/read programs directly from basic using my SIO-A.   I did just fix all the connectors on my spare Altair rev-1 motherboard today so I may tackle a 100 wire job to add it at some point.

                    I need to finish getting my Dazzler configured for piggyback mode so it can work in the Sol-20 when I have the Helios working since I'll be out of slots.

                    and finally....

                    I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                    Now I'm leaving off the...  "and I want to lose 30 pounds" in all this because until they make 0 calorie cookies, that just ain't going to happen.

                    Cheers,

                    Corey

                    > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                    > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                    thought
                    > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
                    weekend
                    > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                    >
                    > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                    >
                    > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                    > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                    with
                    > ALS.
                    >
                    > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                    > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                    > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                    kits
                    > only to reduce the hassle.
                    >
                    > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                    names
                    > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
                    the
                    > vintage community once again!
                    >
                    > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                    > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                    > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                    Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
                    members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
                    subjects.

                    Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
                    my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
                    Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
                    front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
                    papertape archiving project I have to complete.

                    Bill
                    vintagecomputer.net
                  • Cory Smelosky
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 4 12:33 AM
                      On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, corey986 wrote:

                      > Hey Grant,
                      >
                      >   Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...
                      >

                      > I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                      I need to finish replacing resistors in my '50s phonograph and track down
                      a spring for the damn thing. Those are quite hard to find.

                      --
                      Cory Smelosky
                      http://gewt.net Personal stuff