CMD (Commodore) D9090 Hard Drive Issue (anyone have a Tandon 603s HD?)

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2005
      [copy from my orig. post to cctech on classiccmp]

      I have a Commodore "new" D9090. I am experiencing some symptoms that
      I hope someone can help me diagnose. I don't have the manual for the
      D9090. I have verified that everything is plugged in, but I have not
      done any electrical tests. The drive was working earlier this month
      and then was shipped to me. When I received the drive initially it
      did not work at all, but pressing lightly on some of the socketed
      chips to be sure they are making proper contact got me at least to
      the point I am now. It appears that the package was dropped or
      vibrated during shipping.

      I leave the unit powered up for a good ten minutes before turning on
      my known-to-work Commodore B128. The expected drive initialization
      lights flash and the system sits waiting for action while the top
      light shines green, the bottom light is off. Here are the things I
      have tried:

      -------------------------
      ?ds$ - returns CBM DOS 3, etc. message
      -------------------------
      open 15,8,15
      print#15,"i0" [top and bottom lights shine green, drive sounds
      spinning, never completes.]
      close 15

      NOTE: The first time I run these commands the READY prompt returns to
      the screen and I can continue working, even though the drive lights
      perpetually shine green and the drive spins. If I do repeat this set
      of commands however I will freeze up the computer and I am forced to
      hard boot the B128.

      -------------------------

      header "degnan9090", d0, i01

      The "are you sure?" message appears and I can initiate the drive
      format. Both lights shine green. The B128 freezes up. Because I have
      a Rev B ROM, I expect that it will take less than 3 hours to format
      the drive. In my testing I finally aborted after 10 hours. I know
      from experience that when a header command is issued, control returns
      to the B128 (or whatever computer) while the formatting is happening
      on the drive.
      -------------------------

      dcleard0 - does not appear to move the drive heads.
      -------------------------

      It seems like the heads are not moving and that's the problem. I do
      not hear "head moving noises"

      ---------------

      Any suggestions?

      Anyone have an extra Tandon 603s lying around?
      I have kind of concluded that the hard drive is bad, and I think that
      it's easy enough to swap out so I might as well try. I have a Tandon
      model 603s in there now. What other drives are compatible with the
      Tandon model 603s?

      MODEL : HDS : CYL : RWC : WP
      TM 603S : 6 : 153 : 128 : 153

      I read someplace that the controller of the D9090 can handle any
      similar hard drive as long as the heads are of an even number. I
      read someplace else that the hard drive should be 6 heads 7-10 MB
      capacity.