Hi!

  • amenard86
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 12, 2010
      Just dropping a line to present myself.

      I'm a 45 years old french Canadian working in the computer field (programming and tech support) since the late 80's.

      I collect 8 and 16/32 bits computer as a hobby, especially those that I had when I was a teenager and young adult. I presently have a C64, an Atari 800XL and 130XE, an Apple IIe platinum and an Amiga 500. Those are my pride and joy and all are used daily.

      I'm always available to talk about the good old days, swap story and help other collector or people who want to know the joy of using the computer that made history.

      I also started a website about the world of 8 and 16 bits computers but I won't be so rude as using this post to advertise it. This isn't my goal by coming here.

      I thank you for creating this Yahoo! group.
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 12, 2010
        > Just dropping a line to present myself.
        >
        > I'm a 45 years old french Canadian working in the computer field (programming and tech support) since the late 80's.

        Welcome to our list.

        Are you currently in Canada, or do you live somewhere around here? (All
        are welcome on our list, but keep in mind that we focus on the
        Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.)
      • amenard86
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 13, 2010

          > > Just dropping a line to present myself.
          > >
          > > I'm a 45 years old french Canadian working in the computer field (programming and tech support) since the late 80's.
          >
          > Welcome to our list.
          >
          > Are you currently in Canada, or do you live somewhere around here? (All
          > are welcome on our list, but keep in mind that we focus on the
          > Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.)

          I'm living in Canada, more precisely in the province of Quebec.

          The joy of the internet is that it abolish distance and frontiers :-)
          I know I'll enjoy participating, here online, if I'm welcome to it.
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 13, 2010
            >>> Just dropping a line to present myself.
            >>>
            >>> I'm a 45 years old french Canadian working in the computer field (programming and tech support) since the late 80's.
            >> Welcome to our list.
            >>
            >> Are you currently in Canada, or do you live somewhere around here? (All are welcome on our list, but keep in mind that we focus on the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.)
            > I'm living in Canada, more precisely in the province of Quebec.
            >
            > The joy of the internet is that it abolish distance and frontiers :-) I know I'll enjoy participating, here online, if I'm welcome to it.

            Yes, all are welcome, as I said.

            Our regional focus is for an offline reason: we're a traditional
            computer club, not just a mailing list, and we collectively run a
            bricks-and-mortar computer museum located in central New Jersey.
          • amenard86
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 14, 2010

              > >> Welcome to our list.
              > >>
              > >> Are you currently in Canada, or do you live somewhere around here? (All are welcome on our list, but keep in mind that we focus on the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.)
              > > I'm living in Canada, more precisely in the province of Quebec.
              > >
              > > The joy of the internet is that it abolish distance and frontiers :-) I know I'll enjoy participating, here online, if I'm welcome to it.
              >
              > Yes, all are welcome, as I said.
              >
              > Our regional focus is for an offline reason: we're a traditional
              > computer club, not just a mailing list, and we collectively run a
              > bricks-and-mortar computer museum located in central New Jersey.

              New Jersey isn't all that far :-)

              I may just drop by the museum one of these day during my vacation.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 14, 2010
                Quebecois ? May I say Bonjour ! Et Comment ca-va ? Bienvenue !  My French is rusty, and it is France French, not Quebec French, so bear with me Winking smiley emoticon

                I hear a lot of Quebec-ers drive down and visit Wildwood, NJ during the summer time. I see lots of Quebec license plates on the parkway during that time of year.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010

                  > Quebecois ? May I say Bonjour ! Et Comment ca-va ? Bienvenue ! My French is rusty, and it is France French, not Quebec French, so bear with me
                  >
                  > I hear a lot of Quebec-ers drive down and visit Wildwood, NJ during the summer time. I see lots of Quebec license plates on the parkway during that time of year.

                  Yes Wildwood is a common summer destination for Quebecers, just like Fort Lauderdale, Fl. is in winter.
                • Grant Stockly
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                    I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend.  I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have thought the content was different or not as active.  I subscribed over the weekend and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!

                    I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.

                    My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed" house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down with ALS.

                    My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak kit factory going again.  : )  Something we want to do is keep items in stock and sell individual items.  Previously I tried to sell complete kits only to reduce the hassle.

                    I'm glad this resource is available!  I'm also happy to read familiar names and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of the vintage community once again!

                    Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and still be in the US!  (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the furthest north, east, and west state in the union...  ; )  )
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                      >> I found out about this list while searching about
                      the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
                      I've heard of it before

                      Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

                      One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

                      Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                        On 09/03/2013 04:08 PM, Grant Stockly wrote:
                        > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                        > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                        > thought the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over
                        > the weekend and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                        >
                        > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                        >
                        > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                        > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                        > with ALS.
                        >
                        > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                        > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                        > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                        > kits only to reduce the hassle.
                        >
                        > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                        > names and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member
                        > of the vintage community once again!
                        >
                        > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                        > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                        > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                        Welcome, Grant! Yes, this is a good crew. The S/N ratio here tends
                        to be very good.

                        I'm glad you're getting back into the swing of things!

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • Grant Stockly
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                          I tried to restart a year ago but shortly after that failed to get a construction loan on the half completed house flip experiment.  Also during that time I remodeled my father's house for his illness (he basically became a quadraplegic), then in March the company I work for relocated to Houston leaving me as an at home employee for the same company.  We had to pack up a manufacturing facility, restart it in Houston, and then I moved my office to my home.

                          I think it's over now.  : )

                          Grant

                          On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                          >> I found out about this list while searching about
                          the Pennywhistle modem over the weekend. I'm sure
                          I've heard of it before

                          Hey Grant. Glad to see you here.

                          One of our members said about a year ago that he'd buy us a Kenbak replica, but that apparently fell through; maybe there weren't any left...?

                          Much of the discussion on our list is relevant only to our group and/or to the local region, but you'll also find plenty of tech talk, just like on cctalk -- but without 95% of the BS.

                        • Al Hartman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                            Grant, welcome to the list...

                            I’ve been looking at your webpages with interest for awhile. Someday, when finances allow – I might add one of your Altair kits to my collection.

                            The Altair is just before my time, but it would be good to learn.

                            Al
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013
                              > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                              > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                              thought
                              > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
                              weekend
                              > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                              >
                              > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                              >
                              > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                              > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                              with
                              > ALS.
                              >
                              > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                              > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                              > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                              kits
                              > only to reduce the hassle.
                              >
                              > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                              names
                              > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
                              the
                              > vintage community once again!
                              >
                              > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                              > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                              > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                              Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
                              members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
                              subjects.

                              Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
                              my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
                              Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
                              front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
                              papertape archiving project I have to complete.

                              Bill
                              vintagecomputer.net
                            • corey986
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 3, 2013

                                Hey Grant,

                                  Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...

                                Like Bill, I'll give you a run down of my projects

                                I'm working on two Scelbi 8h replicas, one for the museum at InfoAge (MARCH's exhibit) and one for myself.

                                I'm working on getting my Helios drive working with my Sol-20 (I also just got another Sol-20 also, this is one of the first ones made that looks like it rolled off the factory floor except for some loose side panels that will only take a few minutes to fix, but who knows what else I'll get myself into)

                                I just finished getting my Altair to talk correctly to my punch/reader combo DSI-2400 where I could punch in altair format and reload using MBL, or punch/read programs directly from basic using my SIO-A.   I did just fix all the connectors on my spare Altair rev-1 motherboard today so I may tackle a 100 wire job to add it at some point.

                                I need to finish getting my Dazzler configured for piggyback mode so it can work in the Sol-20 when I have the Helios working since I'll be out of slots.

                                and finally....

                                I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                                Now I'm leaving off the...  "and I want to lose 30 pounds" in all this because until they make 0 calorie cookies, that just ain't going to happen.

                                Cheers,

                                Corey

                                > I found out about this list while searching about the Pennywhistle modem
                                > over the weekend. I'm sure I've heard of it before, but must have
                                thought
                                > the content was different or not as active. I subscribed over the
                                weekend
                                > and am very happy with the traffic I've seen so far!
                                >
                                > I'm also a member of the Altair and retro yahoo groups.
                                >
                                > My life is getting back on track after a marriage, house move, "failed"
                                > house flip experiment (not as seen on TV), and my father coming down
                                with
                                > ALS.
                                >
                                > My wife and I are actively working towards getting the Altair and Kenbak
                                > kit factory going again. : ) Something we want to do is keep items in
                                > stock and sell individual items. Previously I tried to sell complete
                                kits
                                > only to reduce the hassle.
                                >
                                > I'm glad this resource is available! I'm also happy to read familiar
                                names
                                > and I'm very excited about having more time to be an active member of
                                the
                                > vintage community once again!
                                >
                                > Grant - not mid Atlantic..but as far north and west as you can get and
                                > still be in the US! (If the dateline wasn't messed up I would be in the
                                > furthest north, east, and west state in the union... ; ) )

                                Hey Grant..Bill Degnan here, great to see you've joined our list. Many
                                members of the Altair group as well here, lots of good topics on many
                                subjects.

                                Just to update you and everyone on my work, I have recently upgraded one of
                                my Commodore C-116's to 64K and NTSC, planning on taking to the Vintage
                                Computer Festival MidWest later this month. I also have an Altair 8800b
                                front panel to repair, coming soon and then I will concurrently tackle
                                papertape archiving project I have to complete.

                                Bill
                                vintagecomputer.net
                              • Cory Smelosky
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
                                  On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, corey986 wrote:

                                  > Hey Grant,
                                  >
                                  >   Welcome to MARCH.  I was wondering what you have been up to...
                                  >

                                  > I need to recap a bunch of vintage TVs and monitors.  Wow I didn't realize my list was getting as long as my Honey Do list...

                                  I need to finish replacing resistors in my '50s phonograph and track down
                                  a spring for the damn thing. Those are quite hard to find.

                                  --
                                  Cory Smelosky
                                  http://gewt.net Personal stuff