Re: [midatlanticretro] Holiday party trades?

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
      I have lots and lots of backup tapes, saved from 12 years or so of my ISP
      making backups - Quantum drives, DLT stuff, even an old Echo Drive. I am
      already bringing a lot of stuff, but I may have some loose drives too. The
      better option would be to come to my office in Wilmington with a truck, but
      I will pick a few things for the party if I have room.

      Bill Degnan

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
        Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

        >> >-DEC VT100 advanced video option board
        >>
        >> The "Selenar Graphics" board? Good luck! In
        >> their day they were few and
        >> far between. They've got to be as rare as hen's teeth
        >> now.
        >
        >No, although I wouldn't mind having one of those. I'm talking about the
        >official DEC Advanced Video Option. It doesn't do graphics, it's little more
        >than a video RAM expansion with another character ROM socket. It allows the
        >VT100 to do 24 lines of text i

        Hmm. I don't recall that being a line-item option for the VT100; it was
        an orderable unit option though. You're now making me curious as to what
        options I have in my VT100. I may need to unbox it and fire it up.

        >> A breakout box or just a tester? I have a small
        >> "el-cheapo" Radio Shack
        >> DB25 unit which does TD, RD, RTS, CTS, CD and DTR you are
        >> welcome to. I
        >> do have a more elaborate unit that will test all 25 lines
        >> and a breakout
        >> box; neither of which I'm looking to part with but if you
        >> need one, you
        >> are welcome to *borrow* mine.
        >
        >I'm specifically looking for the cheapo tester. I've got a breakout box with
        >all the test functions and everything, but it's large and cumbersome, since I
        >usually just want to monitor the RX and TX lines anyway.

        I'll have a photo of the device I have momentarily. I'll reply with a URL
        when I have it on a web server.

        >> >-blank/useable TK50 or TK70 tapes
        >>
        >> You are aware that TK70s ONLY function in TK70 drives or
        >> newer DLT make to
        >> read TK50 and TK70?
        >>
        >> I can probably give you a few of each. Let me know if
        >> you can REALLY use a
        >> TK70.
        >
        >Correct - they do only work in TK50/70 drives. But that's what I need them
        >for. My MicroVax II has TK50, as do a couple other smaller vaxen I have. I
        >also have the SCSI TK50 drive that I can use on the PC to write tape images.
        >I've only got two tapes, and
        >
        >Ironically enough, TK70 *media* is the same as TK50 - the only difference
        >is the formatting. So, if you bulk erase a TK50 you can use it in a TK70
        >drive and vice versa.

        I have some TK50s and TK70s too.

        Maybe I can drop them by for you on Saturday. I won't stay though. I'm
        currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer since Wednesday and will
        be in effect until Monday. Dr. wants to get me on the insulin pump. Now
        I just need to figure out how justify $5K to buy one. Anyway, the junk
        food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
          > currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)

          Mmm .... glucose ....
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)

            Mmm .... glucose ....

            It would be nice to meet you at least if you stopped by.
            Bill
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
              B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

              >Evan Koblentz wrote:
              >>> currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)
              >>>

              >> Mmm .... glucose ....
              >>

              >It would be nice to meet you at least if you stopped by.
              >Bill

              I'll try. I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D

              BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg
            • Mr Ian Primus
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                --- On Thu, 12/9/10, system@... <system@...> wrote:

                > I'll try.  I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D

                Ooh. The real DECtapes I hope ;D

                > BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg

                That's exactly the device I'm looking for.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                  >--- On Thu, 12/9/10, system@... <system@...=
                  >esis.com> wrote:
                  >>=20
                  >> I'll try.=A0 I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D
                  >
                  >Ooh. The real DECtapes I hope ;D

                  Very real. The rack I have came from DEC's own museum in Marlborough, MA.
                  It's "owner" was one of the original VMS V1 team members and I have other
                  bits of his kit. HP closed both ZKO and MRO facilities in the past year.

                  >> BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg
                  >
                  >That's exactly the device I'm looking for.

                  Then, it's yours.
                • JeffreyB
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2010

                    > I have lots of hardware, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular. I also have plenty of classic game consoles and games. And does anyone need any DS/DD 3 1/2" floppy disks? I've got a couple cases of brand new ones.

                    Ian,

                    Do you have Atari Jaguar ? For Trade or Sell ? Games for it ?

                    JeffThree Brace