Holiday party trades?

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
      I'm looking for a few things for some upcoming projects, as well as stuff for the collection - anyone have any of the following they'd be interested in selling/trading? (yeah, I know some of these are a long shot):

      -Apple III parts unit - specifically I need keyboard parts
      -AT&T 3B2 computer
      -High resolution monochrome graphic monitor - Sun3, Apple two-page, Radius, NeXT, etc.
      -NeXT 3 headed "Y" cable - this connects a color NeXTstation to the sound box and monitor - computer is useless without it.
      -Indus GT 5 1/4" disk drive
      -TRS-80 Model II - the one I have is far too corroded to save, and it's the missing hole in my TRS-80 collection :D
      -TRS-80 Model 16 hard disk controller board (can't run Xenix without a hard drive!)
      -External disk enclosure (single half height 5 1/4" with front mounted power switch).
      -breakout cable for Sun3 SMD controller
      -Zenith Z22 terminal keyboard
      -Sun A5000 series (5100, 5200) disk array/parts
      -147gb fibre channel drives
      -LC to SC fibre cable
      -Atari 130XE computer
      -DEC VT100 advanced video option board
      -IBM 84 key AT keyboard
      -IBM PGA video board
      -Parallel ASCII keyboard
      -RS232 tester - you know, that little M-F "adapter" with LED's for the various data lines?
      -Ann Arbor Ambassador terminal - I've been looking for one of these for years, surely there has to be one out there somewhere.
      -blank/useable TK50 or TK70 tapes

      I'm also on the lookout for unwanted Apple II computers, in any condition - II+, IIe, etc, as well as disk drives and parts, and composite monitors, working or non. Old ex-school machines with names engraved on them are fine, I'm working on a project involving multiple machines. Compact machines like the IIc and Laser 128 won't work (no slots), however, but the no-name clones and the Franklin Ace will.

      Incidentally, I'd love to find a Franklin Ace 100, since I don't have one yet, but that's beside the point :D

      I have lots of hardware, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular. I also have plenty of classic game consoles and games. And does anyone need any DS/DD 3 1/2" floppy disks? I've got a couple cases of brand new ones.

      See you all on Saturday!

      -Ian
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
        Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

        >I'm looking for a few things for some upcoming projects, as well as stuff for
        >the collection - anyone have any of the following they'd be interested in
        >selling/trading? (yeah, I know some of these are a long shot):
        >
        >-Apple III parts unit - specifically I need keyboard parts
        >-AT&T 3B2 computer
        >-High resolution monochrome graphic monitor - Sun3, Apple two-page, Radius, NeXT, etc.
        >-NeXT 3 headed "Y" cable - this connects a color NeXTstation to the sound box and monitor - computer is useless without it.
        >-Indus GT 5 1/4" disk drive
        >-TRS-80 Model II - the one I have is far too corroded to save, and it's the missing hole in my TRS-80 collection :D
        >-TRS-80 Model 16 hard disk controller board (can't run Xenix without a hard drive!)
        >-External disk enclosure (single half height 5 1/4" with front mounted power switch).
        >-breakout cable for Sun3 SMD controller
        >-Zenith Z22 terminal keyboard
        >-Sun A5000 series (5100, 5200) disk array/parts
        >-147gb fibre channel drives

        Fibre channel isn't very "retro". ;)

        >-LC to SC fibre cable
        >-Atari 130XE computer
        >-DEC VT100 advanced video option board

        The "Selenar Graphics" board? Good luck! In their day they were few and
        far between. They've got to be as rare as hen's teeth now.

        >-IBM 84 key AT keyboard
        >-IBM PGA video board
        >-Parallel ASCII keyboard
        >-RS232 tester - you know, that little M-F "adapter" with LED's for the various data lines?

        A breakout box or just a tester? I have a small "el-cheapo" Radio Shack
        DB25 unit which does TD, RD, RTS, CTS, CD and DTR you are welcome to. I
        do have a more elaborate unit that will test all 25 lines and a breakout
        box; neither of which I'm looking to part with but if you need one, you
        are welcome to *borrow* mine.

        >-Ann Arbor Ambassador terminal - I've been looking for one of these for years, surely there has to be one out there somewhere.
        >-blank/useable TK50 or TK70 tapes

        You are aware that TK70s ONLY function in TK70 drives or newer DLT make to
        read TK50 and TK70?

        I can probably give you a few of each. Let me know if you can REALLY use a
        TK70.
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
          --- On Thu, 12/9/10, system@...

          > Fibre channel isn't very "retro". ;)

          No, it isn't. But I am running fibre channel on my home server... which stores files *for* retro computers. So, it's guilty by association only.

          > >-DEC VT100 advanced video option board
          >
          > The "Selenar Graphics" board? Good luck! In
          > their day they were few and
          > far between. They've got to be as rare as hen's teeth
          > now.

          No, although I wouldn't mind having one of those. I'm talking about the official DEC Advanced Video Option. It doesn't do graphics, it's little more than a video RAM expansion with another character ROM socket. It allows the VT100 to do 24 lines of text in 132 column mode, as well as handle some a few more character attributes.

          > A breakout box or just a tester? I have a small
          > "el-cheapo" Radio Shack
          > DB25 unit which does TD, RD, RTS, CTS, CD and DTR you are
          > welcome to. I
          > do have a more elaborate unit that will test all 25 lines
          > and a breakout
          > box; neither of which I'm looking to part with but if you
          > need one, you
          > are welcome to *borrow* mine.

          I'm specifically looking for the cheapo tester. I've got a breakout box with all the test functions and everything, but it's large and cumbersome, since I usually just want to monitor the RX and TX lines anyway.

          > >-blank/useable TK50 or TK70 tapes
          >
          > You are aware that TK70s ONLY function in TK70 drives or
          > newer DLT make to
          > read TK50 and TK70?
          >
          > I can probably give you a few of each. Let me know if
          > you can REALLY use a
          > TK70.

          Correct - they do only work in TK50/70 drives. But that's what I need them for. My MicroVax II has TK50, as do a couple other smaller vaxen I have. I also have the SCSI TK50 drive that I can use on the PC to write tape images. I've only got two tapes, and it's annoying trying to do an OS install like that. I've tried modifying DLT IV tapes to work, and it just won't write to them - the media is too different..

          Ironically enough, TK70 *media* is the same as TK50 - the only difference is the formatting. So, if you bulk erase a TK50 you can use it in a TK70 drive and vice versa.

          -Ian
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
            I have lots and lots of backup tapes, saved from 12 years or so of my ISP
            making backups - Quantum drives, DLT stuff, even an old Echo Drive. I am
            already bringing a lot of stuff, but I may have some loose drives too. The
            better option would be to come to my office in Wilmington with a truck, but
            I will pick a few things for the party if I have room.

            Bill Degnan

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
              Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

              >> >-DEC VT100 advanced video option board
              >>
              >> The "Selenar Graphics" board? Good luck! In
              >> their day they were few and
              >> far between. They've got to be as rare as hen's teeth
              >> now.
              >
              >No, although I wouldn't mind having one of those. I'm talking about the
              >official DEC Advanced Video Option. It doesn't do graphics, it's little more
              >than a video RAM expansion with another character ROM socket. It allows the
              >VT100 to do 24 lines of text i

              Hmm. I don't recall that being a line-item option for the VT100; it was
              an orderable unit option though. You're now making me curious as to what
              options I have in my VT100. I may need to unbox it and fire it up.

              >> A breakout box or just a tester? I have a small
              >> "el-cheapo" Radio Shack
              >> DB25 unit which does TD, RD, RTS, CTS, CD and DTR you are
              >> welcome to. I
              >> do have a more elaborate unit that will test all 25 lines
              >> and a breakout
              >> box; neither of which I'm looking to part with but if you
              >> need one, you
              >> are welcome to *borrow* mine.
              >
              >I'm specifically looking for the cheapo tester. I've got a breakout box with
              >all the test functions and everything, but it's large and cumbersome, since I
              >usually just want to monitor the RX and TX lines anyway.

              I'll have a photo of the device I have momentarily. I'll reply with a URL
              when I have it on a web server.

              >> >-blank/useable TK50 or TK70 tapes
              >>
              >> You are aware that TK70s ONLY function in TK70 drives or
              >> newer DLT make to
              >> read TK50 and TK70?
              >>
              >> I can probably give you a few of each. Let me know if
              >> you can REALLY use a
              >> TK70.
              >
              >Correct - they do only work in TK50/70 drives. But that's what I need them
              >for. My MicroVax II has TK50, as do a couple other smaller vaxen I have. I
              >also have the SCSI TK50 drive that I can use on the PC to write tape images.
              >I've only got two tapes, and
              >
              >Ironically enough, TK70 *media* is the same as TK50 - the only difference
              >is the formatting. So, if you bulk erase a TK50 you can use it in a TK70
              >drive and vice versa.

              I have some TK50s and TK70s too.

              Maybe I can drop them by for you on Saturday. I won't stay though. I'm
              currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer since Wednesday and will
              be in effect until Monday. Dr. wants to get me on the insulin pump. Now
              I just need to figure out how justify $5K to buy one. Anyway, the junk
              food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                > currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)

                Mmm .... glucose ....
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)

                  Mmm .... glucose ....

                  It would be nice to meet you at least if you stopped by.
                  Bill
                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                    B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                    >Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >>> currently hooked up to a contiguous glucometer .... the junk food you guys are assembling would really mess up my test readings. ;)
                    >>>

                    >> Mmm .... glucose ....
                    >>

                    >It would be nice to meet you at least if you stopped by.
                    >Bill

                    I'll try. I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D

                    BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg
                  • Mr Ian Primus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                      --- On Thu, 12/9/10, system@... <system@...> wrote:

                      > I'll try.  I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D

                      Ooh. The real DECtapes I hope ;D

                      > BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg

                      That's exactly the device I'm looking for.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                        >--- On Thu, 12/9/10, system@... <system@...=
                        >esis.com> wrote:
                        >>=20
                        >> I'll try.=A0 I could bring a rack of DECtape drives! :D
                        >
                        >Ooh. The real DECtapes I hope ;D

                        Very real. The rack I have came from DEC's own museum in Marlborough, MA.
                        It's "owner" was one of the original VMS V1 team members and I have other
                        bits of his kit. HP closed both ZKO and MRO facilities in the past year.

                        >> BTW, the RS232 tester photo: http://tmesis.net/photos/RS232-tester.jpg
                        >
                        >That's exactly the device I'm looking for.

                        Then, it's yours.
                      • JeffreyB
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 10, 2010

                          > I have lots of hardware, let me know if you're looking for anything in particular. I also have plenty of classic game consoles and games. And does anyone need any DS/DD 3 1/2" floppy disks? I've got a couple cases of brand new ones.

                          Ian,

                          Do you have Atari Jaguar ? For Trade or Sell ? Games for it ?

                          JeffThree Brace