vintage computer pricing - retial vs. hobbyist prices

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010

      > > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop
      with
      > > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100.
      Also
      > > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?
      > >
      > I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting
      > pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
      > disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is

      > normal to see in the $100+ range.
      >
      > Craigslist can be a good source too.
      >
      > If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
      > you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy.
      :)

      > (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all

      > means take it! :) )
      >
      > g.

      I personally would not pay more than $10 for a C64, so I agree with Gene
      that a person in the know can do better than $60 for a C64, yes.

      BUT
      First of all I think you're not counting the risk of Ebay quality, shipping
      cost, and your time. If a C64 is sitting there in the store all you have
      to do is pick it up, pay and go. That has a value. I sell vintage
      computers at my computer repair store and I get full retail prices for
      them. The type of customer who pays $60 for a C64 is different than the
      hobbyist in MARCH who is in the know and has access to many sources and
      built-in knowledge of the product. I charge insider pricing for friends
      and collectors because of the whole karma thing. Pricing is subjective.

      The potential market of non-expert hobbyists who just want a working system
      and no hassle is way bigger than the tech hobbyist.

      Allow me to illustrate
      I bought three TRS 80 model 4 computers recently to resell. I sold one
      for $125, one for $260, and I gave one away. The computer I gave away was
      to a fellow hobbyist. Everyone got what they wanted, all were satisfied
      with the result.

      Good points all around.

      Bill
    • amenard86
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2010

        > > > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop
        > with
        > > > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100.
        > Also
        > > > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?
        > > >
        > > I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting
        > > pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
        > > disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is
        >
        > > normal to see in the $100+ range.
        > >
        > > Craigslist can be a good source too.
        > >
        > > If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
        > > you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy.
        > :)
        > >
        > > (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all
        >
        > > means take it! :) )
        > >
        > > g.
        > >

        > I personally would not pay more than $10 for a C64, so I agree with Gene
        > that a person in the know can do better than $60 for a C64, yes.
        >
        > BUT
        > First of all I think you're not counting the risk of Ebay quality, shipping
        > cost, and your time. If a C64 is sitting there in the store all you have
        > to do is pick it up, pay and go. That has a value. I sell vintage
        > computers at my computer repair store and I get full retail prices for
        > them. The type of customer who pays $60 for a C64 is different than the
        > hobbyist in MARCH who is in the know and has access to many sources and
        > built-in knowledge of the product. I charge insider pricing for friends
        > and collectors because of the whole karma thing. Pricing is subjective.
        >
        > The potential market of non-expert hobbyists who just want a working system
        > and no hassle is way bigger than the tech hobbyist.
        >
        > Allow me to illustrate
        > I bought three TRS 80 model 4 computers recently to resell. I sold one
        > for $125, one for $260, and I gave one away. The computer I gave away was
        > to a fellow hobbyist. Everyone got what they wanted, all were satisfied
        > with the result.
        >
        > Good points all around.
        >
        > Bill

        I wouldn't mind paying over $60 for a C64 if it was new in box.
        My two Atari were bought on EBay from a guy in Venezuela that has access to new old stock. Both were in mint condition in unnopened original boxes. It was as if I just walked out of the store with them. I'm planning to get a XM-801 printer from him next month.

        What I don't like on ebay is when one tries to make up for the low price of his system for sale with the shipping price. I was planning to by a CoCo 2 from a guy. He asked $75 for a the console + a dual floppy drive but wanted $125 to ship it...
      • Jason T
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2010
          On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:22 AM, amenard86 <amenard86@...> wrote:
          > for sale with the shipping price. I was planning to by a CoCo 2 from a guy. He asked $75
          > for a the console + a dual floppy drive but wanted $125 to ship it...

          Unfortunately shipping scams are still common on ebay, as are just
          plain obstinate sellers who think their "handling" is worth big $.
          You can report obvious shipping gouging and, in the cases I've
          reported, ebay does do something about it.