RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
      Evan: At last count we have three or four in working condition. And four or so not working.

      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      From: evan@...
      Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:26:14 +0000
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

      >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

      I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

      >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

      I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

      That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

      Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?

    • Bill Loguidice
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

        I disagree. No shipping, seeing it in person (i.e., you know EXACTLY what you’re getting), and a working guarantee for $60 is reasonable. Not the best deal ever, but reasonable. Certainly the Digital Press store has/has had better deals than that (in fact, in some cases better than the going rate on eBay), but as a collector I’d have no issue in paying that if I needed one.

        Bill Loguidice, Managing Director

        Armchair Arcade, Inc.

        http://www.armchairarcade.com

        Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books