Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
      I second that, $60 for a tested/working 64 isn't a bad price purchased from a retail environment.  Not working they still fetch $20 on the chance the SID is working.  That isn't to say I would pay that price, but I am in the hobby.  If I were getting back into the hobby, or starting the hobby, I would likely perceive that as fair.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 5, 2010, at 9:03 AM, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > The store definitely seemed awesome, though. They had a ton of vintage
      games and computer software, including a whole section for the C64 and
      VIC-20. Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore
      64 - ridiculous!

      I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
      hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
      a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
        >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

        I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

        >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

        I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

        That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

        Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?
      • Gene Buckle
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
          On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

          > I don't agree. Charge a price people are willing to pay. In a shop with
          > hundreds of customers ? You could find someone willing to pay$ 100. Also
          > a working c64 is not so easy to find. Does MARCH have more than 1 ?

          I call shennanigans. You can't swing a dead cat on eBay without hitting a
          pile of 64's. A nice mix of breadbox & 64Cs, often times with books,
          disks and a drive for under $60. A 128 will fetch $60+ and the SX-64 is
          normal to see in the $100+ range.

          Craigslist can be a good source too.

          If $60 is the _local_ going price for a machine with no drives, then
          you've got a customer base not so familiar with this "internet" thingy. :)

          (now by all means, if you can get $60 for a stand-alone breadbin, by all
          means take it! :) )

          g.

          --
          Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

          by the clean end.
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
            Evan: At last count we have three or four in working condition. And four or so not working.

            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            From: evan@...
            Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:26:14 +0000
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Angry Video Game Nerd in Clifton, NJ on December 4, 2010

            >>> When I left the store after getting the signature, the line of people waiting to get inside was four blocks long!

            I never heard of AVGN before last month. What has this guy done that makes his autograph so desirable?

            >>> Slightly overpriced, though. They were charging $60 for a Commodore 64 - ridiculous!

            I agree with Bill + Justin. Sorry to gang up on you :) but your perspective is a tad spoiled by your "insider" status (as a hobbyist and due to your involvement in a club and museum) -- most people aren't that fortunate. Also consider the cost + time commitment of running a specialty retail store in northern NJ.

            That being said, $60 for a known-working system (presumably boxed + cleaned) is fair to the store's customers (who for that product are likely to be the standard customers' parents -- and whom in the Clifton vicinity have plenty of money.)

            Bill: yes, we have more than one in working condition. Jeff B., do you know how many?

          • Bill Loguidice
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010

              I disagree. No shipping, seeing it in person (i.e., you know EXACTLY what you’re getting), and a working guarantee for $60 is reasonable. Not the best deal ever, but reasonable. Certainly the Digital Press store has/has had better deals than that (in fact, in some cases better than the going rate on eBay), but as a collector I’d have no issue in paying that if I needed one.

              Bill Loguidice, Managing Director

              Armchair Arcade, Inc.

              http://www.armchairarcade.com

              Authored Books: http://www.armchairarcade.com/books